YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Still using Firefox out of convenience.

But this is what a desktop idle with just Firefox in use can look like. And that's not a spike, that's from management problems. Reloading the browser and tabs cuts temps to 60 C idle.

It's not really an issue with other processors. Just a AMD thing with Firefox. Just letting people know in case so they don't torch their CPU without realizing it over the course of a year. I had no real indication what was happening. It wasn't until I got my CPU RMA'd and replaced that I started to investigate why the CPU failure happened. Firefox with multi-tabbing became prime suspect. Absolutely nothing could cool the CPU down.

1699828844281.png

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wait, there are people who think you're somehow doing something wrong if you use ad blockers?

Is this like back in the 90s when some people called sharing music ""stealing""? I didnt know anyone with that mindset was still around.

Don't care about people using ad blockers or pirating, but when they act like it's total bullshit for a business to have an actual business model they do look like fucking retards

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Add Vivaldi to the list of alternatives. A lot have came and went the past few weeks.

Firefox is OK for multi-tabbing but 32 gigs of RAM will hit some problems if you are operating long hours. I've had less issues with 64 gigs whereas before I'd need to restart and reset the browser with CTRL ALT DEL but far fewer incidences lately. Depends on the websites and what you are tabbing.

A 16 gig multi-tabber is going to want to seek other options besides Firefox. Even normal browsing and just several tabs will chew through 50% of that memory when the "leak" hits. The memory management is so poor in Firefox that it mimics an actual memory leak.

Also I did RMA a 5950x that I attribute to Firefox burning through it over a year and a half via it's multi-tabbing problems. CPU useage and temp fluxes all over the place with Firefox.
On Vivaldi I've had 100+ tabs open for a week or two between restarts on 32gb of memory. The Ryzen 5 5600X doesn't seem to have any issue with it either.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On Vivaldi I've had 100+ tabs open for a week or two between restarts on 32gb of memory. The Ryzen 5 5600X doesn't seem to have any issue with it either.

Just checked my Firefox against Microsoft Edge out of morbid curiosity.

18 gigs of RAM used for 58 tabs open. Compared to 2 gigs of RAM used on Microsoft Edge with similar tabs open. That's why I was saying 16 giggers should probably take a pass on Firefox.

Vivaldi is probably a good play and glad you mentioned it.

This is the idle after resetting Firefox with the same amount of tabs open. Back to mid 50's C. No change in tab amount, just simply haven't "used" any tabs or clicked around on different tabs yet. If you are using Firefox-- resetting the browser becomes a part of your daily.

1699830659686.png

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I got hit with this and can't watch youtube without disabling my ad blocker. The way around it for me is using Edge with ghostery in inprivate web viewing. I get no ads at all and can watch videos.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Firefox added a bunch of telemetry a while ago, personally I'm using Waterfox which is an (up to date) fork with the telemetry removed. Think there's a single threaded version of the Pale Moon fork too if too many threads are causing issues for people.

So far no ads on Waterfox+UO, I only get ads on one of my older windows 7 boxes that runs a (no longer updated) version of Brave. Even on that one, a forced page refresh with UO running got rid of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just checked my Firefox against Microsoft Edge out of morbid curiosity.

18 gigs of RAM used for 58 tabs open. Compared to 2 gigs of RAM used on Microsoft Edge with similar tabs open. That's why I was saying 16 giggers should probably take a pass on Firefox.

Vivaldi is probably a good play and glad you mentioned it.

This is the idle after resetting Firefox with the same amount of tabs open. Back to mid 50's C. No change in tab amount, just simply haven't "used" any tabs or clicked around on different tabs yet. If you are using Firefox-- resetting the browser becomes a part of your daily.

View attachment 500156
i'm not saying get more ram to fix shitty firefox
3affdb846fd6de4438b4197640c875f3.png

but we've always advocated getting 32g from 16g in the build pc thread and 2 sticks is so cheap now (of course cheaper if you want 16gb if you want to add instead of replacing)

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't care about people using ad blockers or pirating, but when they act like it's total bullshit for a business to have an actual business model they do look like fucking retards
This might be reasonable in general, but this thread is in the context of one of the most profitable companies in the history of the world making one of their key products (built on the back of unfathomable amounts of free labor nonetheless) amazingly annoying to use unless you subscribe.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Vivaldi is top tier.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It feels like Youtube has given up on trying to beat this for now.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It feels like Youtube has given up on trying to beat this for now.
Yep. I didn't change or update anything, got the three strikes shutdown, turned YT off for a few days, and came back with everything back to normal. No ads, no warnings. Using Waterfox/Adblock.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I use Edge with Ad Block and haven't had any problems. I have noticed that when I load up videos, I occasionally see what appears to be one ad frame with the yellow bar at the bottom, then the video loads normally. Perhaps that split second of ad load bypasses the strikes.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could be 50 seconds and i'm still not turning off adblock.

Spoofing a different user agent will fix it.

1700593756980.png

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

View attachment 501369

Can confirm there is a new rollout by Google but not exactly what this says.

It's very buggy, and seems to not be implemented properly. I haven't been given a reason to stop using Firefox at this time. There is no 5 seconds, just buggy adblock reminder splash screen may appear very briefly for 1 second or a fraction of a second at the start of playing a video. And I can't replicate it. Tried opening several new videos, no splash trailer. Splash was not even for 1 full second. Have not observed any 5 second delay at all on Firefox.

They are flailing rushing out untested changes and that's a side effect of allowing their engineers to take adblock to war in the same sense that Twitch did-- which I thought wouldn't happen. But this so-called "change" is not effective and unable to be observed. I can't get any delay near 5 seconds, even getting a microsecond delay only happened 1 time, and I have only seen the splash screen bug just 1 time so far. The splash screen appeared so fast that I can't even read a single word it said even if I tried.

WIll update if anything changes.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
no script worked for a week and now I'm getting blocked again.

I'm using Ublock Origin and NoScript what is working now?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
no script worked for a week and now I'm getting blocked again.

I'm using Ublock Origin and NoScript what is working now?
Vivaldi with UO, NoScript, and Privacy Badger is working still for me, although people have been saying Privacy Badger is now redundant and not needed. It may be the case that the YT block is not rolled out for Vivaldi yet, or UO updated late in the day today?

Just in case it matters, here is my NoScript:
Capture.PNG

Here are the only youtube items in my custom blocks on UO, don't remember what, if anything, they are doing:
2023-11-21 21.56.16 cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm aa078c17258c.png
Code:
! 3/10/2020 YouTube[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]www.youtube.com##.ytd-popup-container.style-scope > .ytd-popup-container.style-scope
2023-11-21 21.56.31 cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm 862af3c5a060.png
Code:
! 2023-10-13 YouTube[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]www.youtube.com##.opened

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm still running firefox with uBO and seeing nothing.

Same besides that one millisecond incident at the start of clicking a video which only happened once.

Never received a warning or strike on Firefox with UBO so far, even with the recent Nov 20th change.