12 year olds stab friend to prove Slender Man is real

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
More like mid forties unless the laws in that state are significantly different than most other states.
Really? I'm not overly familiar with what they've been charged with or what the potential sentences are. But it seems like 20+ years for attempted murder is a pretty lengthy sentence. Then again, I did forget that you guys have consecutive sentences, so that certainly plays in to it I'm sure.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do we know their names? Cause generally juvenile records are sealed. So I don't see how it would impact the rest of their lives unless they kept on committing crimes.
when you try a juvenile as an adult their names are not protected, if however the names are not being released in media, its more or less the media holding back because nobody wants to be "that guy" who outs some delicate snowflake children.
Well, let's have a look at the OP.

Second sentence of the article_sl said:
Morgan E. Geyser was allowed to have two friends over each year for her birthday. This year, she'd celebrate on May 30. That is the day she and Anissa E. Weier would try to kill their friend during a sleepover.
Mmmmmmmkay.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
The solution as a society is to make a half-hearted effort to have a juvenile corrections system but not be able to really rehabilitate because of budgetary reasons. Ultimately not enough of the electorate cares about dangerous youth (aka almost always poor youth) to spend the amount of money on corrections (and also education, welfare etc etc).
Or you could make a real effort to rehab them and save money in the long term, because chances of them committing crimes again will be lower.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
SA post a few years back trying to create a new monster. They came up withSlendermanand it's spread like cancer.
You could replace "Slenderman" with 4chan, lolcats, et al. and it'd still be accurate.
biggrin.png

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I like how some are saying these kids will definitely go out and try to murder again. You do realize that serial murderers comprise less than 1 percent of all murders in the US? Not only that, the chances of females being serial killers are less than male killers, but y'all keep up wanting to increase the chances of them being fucked up, just so that you can prove that you were right about them being fucked up. It's like the GOP doing everything in their power to sabotage and not make Obamacare work, and then yelling SEE!!

supertouch_sl

shitlord
If adult female murderers are isolated from the rest of society for life, then I see no reason why the same shouldn't apply to these girls.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Why does a 12-year-old who stabs another human being get to be rehabilitated while a 30-year-old who does the same goes away for life?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i don't consider me stating a fact to be "trolling"

but yes i've shown my mother a few of the trollings i've found most amusing, such as when i wrote fake reviews for aanima's shit book. she has never been so proud.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I like how some are saying these kids will definitely go out and try to murder again. You do realize that serial murderers comprise less than 1 percent of all murders in the US? Not only that, the chances of females being serial killers are less than male killers, but y'all keep up wanting to increase the chances of them being fucked up, just so that you can prove that you were right about them being fucked up. It's like the GOP doing everything in their power to sabotage and not make Obamacare work, and then yelling SEE!!
Yeah I don't think the majority of society really understands how hard it is to recover. There are a literal fuck ton of people out there with criminal records who can't get a job, apartment, friends, and more. Jail is the very least of most offenders worries because the life you get after you do your time is a shitty one of ridicule and judgement even if you're trying very hard to turn your life around. Then when people give up all hope and commit another crime we count those people as re offenders and they go into a big pile of statistics that show if someone has committed a crime once they are 80% more likely to commit another crime not even factoring in that they were given no real opportunity to succeed. Sadly the justice system isn't about rehabilitation but vengeance.

Given the media attention I'm not sure anything can be done to save these girls at this point. They will be ridiculed and alienated wherever they go which is a major barrier to recovery. If there is such a place then I think a solid month or two in jail combined with 5 years of counseling and probation would serve them infinitely better than multiple years behind bars. Yes it sucks they did this, and obviously I feel terrible for the victim, but what's done is done, and you will only be creating more victims in the future if these girls are locked up for 10-30 years.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I like how some are saying these kids will definitely go out and try to murder again. You do realize that serial murderers comprise less than 1 percent of all murders in the US?
you should be there pen pal and tell them all about your family. Could't do you no harm.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
i don't consider me stating a fact to be "trolling"

but yes i've shown my mother a few of the trollings i've found most amusing, such as when i wrote fake reviews for aanima's shit book. she has never been so proud.
Your mom sounds like a great woman you should mention her in my thread. Also have the girls fight a Pit Bull.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
you should be there pen pal and tell them all about your family. Could't do you no harm.
If there weren't certain stigmas around late 30s guys writing to 12 year old I wouldn't feel bad about it, especially if I could be a positive influence for them, In stead of people telling them they'll never be anything but attempted murderers who will never be right in the head, which is what apparently a lot of people want to beat into their 12 year-old heads. That'll work out great.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I personally find the loss of rights and ability to work for felons to be disgusting. It's like their sentence never ends. It's wrong.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If there weren't certain stigmas around late 30s guys writing to 12 year old I wouldn't feel bad about it, especially if I could be a positive influence for them, In stead of people telling them they'll never be anything but attempted murderers who will never be right in the head, which is what apparently a lot of people want to beat into their 12 year-old heads. That'll work out great.
What stigma? You are saying you want to help these young minds that tried to kill there friend become better people. Good for you.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I don't think the majority of society really understands how hard it is to recover. There are a literal fuck ton of people out there with criminal records who can't get a job, apartment, friends, and more. Jail is the very least of most offenders worries because the life you get after you do your time is a shitty one of ridicule and judgement even if you're trying very hard to turn your life around. Then when people give up all hope and commit another crime we count those people as re offenders and they go into a big pile of statistics that show if someone has committed a crime once they are 80% more likely to commit another crime not even factoring in that they were given no real opportunity to succeed. Sadly the justice system isn't about rehabilitation but vengeance.
This is a bunch of bullshit. Any ex-con can succeed, especially with some management of his expectations. You are limited in what you can do but why the fuck shouldn't you be? If its your business you'll balk at hiring someone with a long record of theft too, and the job market is competitive.

The prisons have school, college, trade shops, drug treatment, mental health professionals....if anything there's more rehabilitation in prison for a poor person than there is on the street. People who don't succeed often aren't even trying, but they often do have very poor skill sets in the first place due to a life of poverty, lack of parenting and above all drug abuse. You talk about recidivism like its some sad inevitable accident but the fact is that drugs, either addiction or the thug dealer lifestyle, are what is drawing most recidivists back to prison, NOT lack of programs and opportunities.