2013 Oscar Nominations

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I want to see Christoph Waltz play Han Solo and Daniel Day Lewis play Luke Skywalker in the new films.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i had heard the golden globes are the new oscars and the oscars are on their way out.
I did hear someone say that the Oscars mean less and less every year as the plethora of other award shows begin to gain more attention. They suggested that the Oscars just move themselves to the first week in January to trump all the other award shows.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
pretty much sums up the oscars

charlizetheronboobs_.gif

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I'd put DDL up in Depp's category as an actor.
The fuck? I wouldn't put Depp up to DDL's category....ever. Lets be real here, Depp is a decent actor, but fucking no way he can carry a role like DDL did in Gangs of New York, or There will be Blood....let alone Lincoln. Depp is clown shoes compared to DDL.

When it comes to DDL category, I put Gary Oldman near there.

iannis

Musty Nester
If you judge depp on the past 5 years or so, yeah. He got rich, had kids, and decided to do pirate movies. That's ok. I'm not raged.

But if you look at the body of Depp's work he's got a few things going for him. He's picked smart scripts. That's not acting, that's just having a good agent and a discerning taste. But that alone sets him above the pack when it comes to actors. The other thing is that he changes his mannerisms from script to script. That's something that, not being an actor myself, seems to be at the core of acting. You can't change your face or how long your arms are -- but there are things within your control which you can. It's something that so few actors seem to even attempt to do.

Depp and DDL are the only two (popular) ones that I've noticed even trying to do it.

You could say that DDL has never stepped out of his comfort zone, where the career of Depp has been wide and varied. I wouldn't say that makes DDL less than Depp, or Depp better than DDL. It just makes them different actors. Both of them are probably as good as the generation has to offer, but for different reasons and in different ways.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Depp did ed wood, donnie brasco and blow. He isnt any less than DDL in acting abilities. I think too many people buy into his mystique.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah Depp has only done 342342 Burton movies where he's the same character essentially.
Yeah, that's true. Depp has a lot more movies to his name than DDL does. A LOT more. They're just different types of actors. Some artists are prolific and 75% of their work is good but not great. Some artists are less prolific, and they hit 90%. Where most artists struggle their careers to hit 50%.

This one time Stravinsky wrote the Firebird. Well, meh. But this other time he wrote The Rite of Spring!

I don't mean to imply that I think Depp is perfect. I don't. I'd punch him for Willy Wonka, myself. All I'm saying is that him and DDL are right up there in the "The best (serious) actor that America has to offer" category.

Qntario_sl

shitlord
I watched bits and pieces of this - is it just me or are there no real celebrities anymore? All the people getting interviewed and shit weren't real movie stars? Where is Tom Cruise? Brad Pitt? Will Smith? Shit was boring, Seth was pretty terrible, Adele a fat whore and the speeches uninteresting. They need to revamp the setup - 3 hours of red carpet shit (Who the fuck is Kristen Chenowith? Somebody needs to kill this idiot) and an almost 4 FUCKING HOUR SHOW makes for unpleasant viewing.
They weren't nominated for anything.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DDL>>Dicaprio>De Niro>Dechoveny>Depp.

Depp is a one trick pony. He is awful.

I just wish DDl never turned down the role of Strider in lotr. I agree GoNY is a great flick but can you just imagine him as Aragorn!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I really liked Argo and I'm uncertain how Affleck could be called a hack.

And as much as I like De Niro, I would consider him more of a one trick pony then Depp. Di Niro is the same person in every movie.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't even mean it as a popularity contest, more of an assessment of their work. Depp's dropped some steaming deuces right on my chest, but he's also made movies that I'm glad I took the time to watch. More of the second kind, and that springs mostly from his performance in them rather than I just enjoyed the story. It's along the lines of "That would have been a good movie without depp, with depp it was a great movie".

How duchovney or dicaprio make a list for "great actors" on any merit besides personal charisma is beyond me. I QUESTION YOUR JUDGEMENT, SIRS.

Hell, I don't really "like" DDL. I dunno what it is, he just doesn't click with me. But there's no denying that fucker is good. The fact that I enjoy his performances in SPITE of not really liking him that much attests to him being extra good. And it's not personal, it's not like I know the man or even very much about him. It's just the look of him is a little off to me.

At one point Bradd Pitt was looking like he might break out and take it to the next level. There was a spell there where he was alternating "cash grab" with "real quality". But then he kinda... just... stopped. (Edit: And I like me some Bradd Pitt)