2013 Oscar Nominations

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
DiCaprio is both a very good actor and incredibly good at picking both films and roles.
I think this is the most important thing ever, some actors select their roles, some others just take anything.
This is specially true if you look at directors... Tarantino & Burton make the "movies they want to see", they don't care about you.
Once you are famous/rich/old enough, it's all about doing "what you want" and not "what is expected of you".

The most epic thing i've ever seen is Chuck Norris doing the cobra joke to Stallone, it was LEGENDARY.
Wasn't done for money/fame/acting, but for fun.

As for "who's better"....
My complain about DDL would be he's "too perfect, too impersonal" he doesn't add anything to the role, he IS the role.
(Which of course makes a great actor, because you forget who it is).
Depp... well.. Depp will be Depp.... you know he will add something to the role... he is... "unique"....
(I don't see anyone else doing a better Jack Sparrow or Willy Wonka, he adds that little extra magic touch of madness)
Di Caprio... is a fucking Swiss knife, he can do anything, and does it amazingly....

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
depp is absolutely right there with DDL in terms of acting ability. he has been nominated 3 times (pirates of the caribbean, finding neverland and sweeney todd). he should have won it for two of those movies: pirates, (which he single handedly saved what was otherwise a pretty mediocre movie) and finding neverland, which was an amazing movie. he also did blow, fear and loathing in las vegas, donnie brasco, from hell, edward scissorhands, and what's eating gilbert grape? i would put him up with any actor in the history of cinema, and if the academy didn't hate him for his off the screen comments and antics, he probably would have won several times and been nominated several more.
This really made me laugh.

Depps a good actor but best ever? Come on.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm still surprised Argo won without a Best Director nod
I heard a podcast with Matt Atchity from Rotten Tomatoes and he thinks that the Academy is just jealous of Affleck because he's too good looking and has too hot of a wife so he's not supposed to get to be a hotshot director too. It is true that when you're handicapping the Oscars you're really predicting who the Academy members are going to vote for and not who made the best movie. Affleck not even being nominated for director is kind of bizarre though. It's like having the carpentry awards and you built the best house but you're not even considered in the top 5 carpenters.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Affleck not even being nominated for director is kind of bizarre though. It's like having the carpentry awards and you built the best house but you're not even considered in the top 5 carpenters.
Surprisingly it's happened three times before;

Wings (1929)
Grand Hotel (1932)
Driving Miss Daisy (1990)

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Robert DeNiro played an entirely unique character to him in Silver Linings Playbook... but I agree that he mostly plays the same in every role.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this is why i don't really care about the oscars.it's just a world of ass kissing,favours.and that is why sometimes you think "how in the hell this movie/person won an oscar?"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle8956622/

about the oscars this year,i like jennifer lawrence but her role on Silver Linings Playbook...come on,it's a fucking romantic comedy/drama.is has nothing new.
and i was always find funny that a movie is nomited for best picture but the director is not lol ben affleck is to young to be recognized,huh?

but still,i haven't seen Lincoln,ZDT and Les Miserables (fuckin hate musicals)

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's kind of cool to see Ben Affleck grow up from a mediocre actor to directing probably 3 of my top 30 movies of all time. It's sort of weird that it is actually Ben Affleck and not another actor turned director...but he does a great job in my opinion.
Mediocre actor?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with Pitt and Depp is they've become one-dimensional actors at this point, except for maybe Pitt's role in The Tree of Life (I personally think he was hilarious in Burn After Reading, but it seems a lot of people hate on his part in that movie). As for Depp, it seems he's always playing some fucking weirdo dressed in make-up and ridiculous outfits. He's become the poster child of strange and quirky, it's just gets old after awhile.

Just my two cents, though.

ohkcrlho

oh and about seth's performance,i was expecting so much more,yeah said good stuff (chris brown/rihanna date movie) but the only thing i laughed hard was "Flight" with socks and that was like in the first 10 minutes.the rest were........songs!for fuck sake,i know they wanted to honour musicals but come on,you already had the performances chicago,les miserables and dream girls cast

Sterling

El Presidente
I think Affleck gets a lot of shit he doesn't really deserve as an actor. He's not a bad actor he just doesn't have the range that some others do. In the right kind of roles he's actually pretty good.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Mediocre actor?
Great monologue, but not really great acting. I mean, its solid, not taking that away, but lets understand what the benchmark is, a great actor transforms on screen. I don't see Ben doing that much, to be honest.

Let's talk about great acting.

Christian Bale in the Fighter vs. Christian Bale in American Psycho.
Heath Ledger's in Dark Knight vs Heath Ledger in Lords of Dogtown.
Gary Oldman in Hannibal vs. Gary Oldman in The Professional.
DDL in Lincoln vs. DDL in Gangs of New York.
Brad Pitt in Seven vs. Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys
Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator vs. Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line
Sean Penn in Mystic River vs. Sean Penn in Milk
Meryl Streep in Sophies Choice vs. Meryl Streep in Silkwood
RDJ in Tropic Thunder vs. RDJ in Chaplin

The list goes on, but for me, and this may not be the case for everyone, but I judge great acting on their ability to make me forget who they are and truly believe the character in a way that I almost can't relate their current character to any of their previous roles.

ohkcrlho

Brad Pitt in Seven?!what?!

terrible ffs.only Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman were great

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
My complain about DDL would be he's "too perfect, too impersonal" he doesn't add anything to the role, he IS the role.
This right here, what the fuck does this even mean? He is the role, but doesn't add anything? Is this like saying "He sure was Lincoln, but man it would of added so much if he conveyed some of the disabled movement fromMy Left Footor some cold anger fromIn the Name of the Fatherand maybe a gay flourish fromMy Beautiful Laundrette?

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
Mediocre actor?
90% of that is script/director, take a fucking worthless pathetic actor that specializes into retarded movies making retarded faces..... let's say... Jim Carrey...
Give him 2 great roles..... Truman Show & Eternal Shunshine and you end up with good performances.

Also a lot depends on "expectations and unconscious history", and what "a great actor" is for you.
Someone that makes you "fuck me, that was HIM ?" aka DDL perfection (i agree he's godly a cameleon...sorry grumblethorn it's kinda hard to explain my point)
Someone that's perfect for the role making them bigger than life ? Depp
Someone that can do absolutely anything with amazing results ? DiCaprio

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DDL and Depp are different animals and I do not think it is fair to compare them. DDL always works with the best people in the business and pretty much sticks to period pieces and serious roles. Depp jumps around a lot and will work on popcorn projects just for the fuck of it. They really work opposite sides of the street, for the most part. If you want to compare people to DDL, you have to talk about Oldman, Cumberbatch, Bale, Hoffman, and Michael Parks, whom some have already mentioned in this thread. Personally, I think Hoffman and Oldman are better actors, because they have done period pieces AND they have done comedy, which is something DDL has not really done.

DeCaprio, while really good, is not really in the same league of serious acting that DDL is and seems to venture into the action arena a little more, but they are similar in career path. Really, the only DeCaprio performances that really blew me away were Gilbert Grape, The Departed, and J. Edgar. To me, he is what Nicholas Cage would have become if he had not started phoning it in for every movie after Leaving Las Vegas. It will be interesting to see what he does when he gets older, because if J. Edgar is any indication I think he is one of those actors that will make a transition into different types of roles and really become one of the all time greats.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ps Afleck was a better actor before he became a full time pothead, but his directing got better. He got sucked into a bunch of what was popular at the time his career began, ie teen comedies and action flicks. His level of ability depends entirely on his interest in the work. As a result, he has made done some really great roles, like in Chasing Amy, Hollywoodland, The Town. He also has had some really good bit parts like his brief roles in Smoking Aces and Extract. When he is bored or need pot money, then shit like Gigli, Daredevil, and Surviving Christmas happen.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The problem with Pitt and Depp is they've become one-dimensional actors at this point, except for maybe Pitt's role in The Tree of Life (I personally think he was hilarious in Burn After Reading, but it seems a lot of people hate on his part in that movie). As for Depp, it seems he's always playing some fucking weirdo dressed in make-up and ridiculous outfits. He's become the poster child of strange and quirky, it's just gets old after awhile.

Just my two cents, though.
again, you obviously don't know much about depp's work if you think he always plays a weirdo in makeup. fear and loathing, gilbert grape, donnie brasco, finding neverland, from hell, ed wood and blow. all movies were he plays a regular role and knocks it out of the park. you can't judge him simply based on the past several years. he's even admitted himself that at this point he's just doing it for the money (and who can blame him for what they're paying him?). if you look at his full body of work, including 3 oscar nominations, you won't find a better actor.