2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Holy mother of fuck! We essentially got Trouba and Lemieux for Pionk and three months of Hayes. Gorton is a god amongst GM's!

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol

E11C7141-9F09-43FF-8232-EDDF7FB9815B.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
^^ Pretty much.

Fox, Trouba and Kakko in 4 days, not too shabby an off season and it isn't even July (aka Panarin-watch) :)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
^^ Pretty much.

Fox, Trouba and Kakko in 4 days, not too shabby an off season and it isn't even July (aka Panarin-watch) :)

That rebuild went super quick. Have to see if Kakko takes time to adjust, but man...Metro might be very, very interesting this coming year. I hate that your GM is killing it.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
That rebuild went super quick. Have to see if Kakko takes time to adjust, but man...Metro might be very, very interesting this coming year. I hate that your GM is killing it.

Hoping we finally have a Calder candidate in Kakko. Time will tell, don't wanna get my hopes up. Best thing about him is he completely takes the pressure off of Kravtsov who I am also pretty big on. Gonna be at least 4 years till we are actual contenders though, we have alot of kids that need to marinate with zero playoff experience.

Terrified of playing the Caps with Gudas and Wilson. They better not harm my children!

Merrith

Hoping we finally have a Calder candidate in Kakko. Time will tell, don't wanna get my hopes up. Best thing about him is he completely takes the pressure off of Kravtsov who I am also pretty big on. Gonna be at least 4 years till we are actual contenders though, we have alot of kids that need to marinate with zero playoff experience.

Terrified of playing the Caps with Gudas and Wilson. They better not harm my children!

I know no non Caps fan wants to hear this, but Wilson did tone all that down last year after he came back...and once again turned up the actual scoring, this time to an even higher level if you go by a per game ratio since he only played 63 games. I'm actually really hoping Gudas can take some of that "defender"/rough stuff role on so Wilson doesn't have to do as much of it. He's too valuable out there now in all situations. Also you forgot that Ovechkin plays on same line was Wilson most of the time. Imagine those two with Gudas out there at the same time. Heavy game.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I know no non Caps fan wants to hear this, but Wilson did tone all that down last year after he came back...and once again turned up the actual scoring, this time to an even higher level if you go by a per game ratio since he only played 63 games. I'm actually really hoping Gudas can take some of that "defender"/rough stuff role on so Wilson doesn't have to do as much of it. He's too valuable out there now in all situations. Also you forgot that Ovechkin plays on same line was Wilson most of the time. Imagine those two with Gudas out there at the same time. Heavy game.

Forgot about Ovechkin.... oy vey...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

That Karlsson contract...sigh.

I gotta be honest, it's crazy to me to see that John Carlson has the 2nd biggest cap hit on the Caps at $8M a year, but watching the elite D men get $11M+ a year now makes me feel a bit better about it. Also good chance Backstrom's new deal is slightly higher than $8M a year.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I gotta be honest, it's crazy to me to see that John Carlson has the 2nd biggest cap hit on the Caps at $8M a year, but watching the elite D men get $11M+ a year now makes me feel a bit better about it. Also good chance Backstrom's new deal is slightly higher than $8M a year.

I was hearing rumors Backstrom was being shopped. Probably nothing but I wouldn't be shocked if they were testing the market.

Merrith

I was hearing rumors Backstrom was being shopped. Probably nothing but I wouldn't be shocked if they were testing the market.

Hahah from who Larry Brooks? I wouldn't be shocked if Backstrom is extended before the season starts. Holtby's situation might be a bit dicier, though. I would put Backstrom getting shopped at like less than 1%. One, there's no viable top 6 center behind him, no matter how good people think Lars Eller is. Two GMBM has made plenty of comments about wanting both Ovechkin and Backstrom to be Caps for life.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Hahah from who Larry Brooks? I wouldn't be shocked if Backstrom is extended before the season starts. Holtby's situation might be a bit dicier, though. I would put Backstrom getting shopped at like less than 1%. One, there's no viable top 6 center behind him, no matter how good people think Lars Eller is. Two GMBM has made plenty of comments about wanting both Ovechkin and Backstrom to be Caps for life.

Nah, not Brooks heh. Poster on Rangers HF who knows some insiders. Grain of salt. From the outside it makes sense considering the cap and playoff passengers last year, but I know fuck all about the Caps' situation.

Merrith

I should note too, that Backstrom can't actually sign an extension until July 1st hits. He's already said he'd love to sign one this summer, I wouldn't be shocked if its done shortly after July 1st hits.

One of the other good things about the Niskanen for Gudas deal was that Gudas only has 1 year left on his deal while Niskanen had 2. So it cleared out $3.4M in cap space this year (with Flyers retaining 30%), and a full $5.75M in space for 2020 season when Backstrom and/or Holtby both need new deals. Holtby's situation is a lot weirder because we have Samsonov who we drafted in 1st round a few years back, and he had a ridiculously good 2nd half of the season down in Hershey after struggling early last year.

Merrith

Nah, not Brooks heh. Poster on Rangers HF who knows some insiders. Grain of salt. From the outside it makes sense considering the cap and playoff passengers last year, but I know fuck all about the Caps' situation.

I think with the Gudas deal and cap continuing to go up, the cap considerations aren't nearly as big a thing. Backstrom would be locked up before Holtby, and aside from two RFA's in Siegenthaler and Boyd (a 3rd pair Dman tops, and a 4th line forward tops) we won't have anyone else who needs a new deal. A lot of people think Holtby might be a candidate to be moved, although with the depth of left shooting D we have, I could see Orlov as a potential candidate in the next year or two, as well. There's prepping for the Seattle expansion draft as well, wouldn't be shocked to see us offer a pick or two for them to take someone like Oshie off our hands by then.

Merrith

StoiCynic StoiCynic just saw some bit from AP or someone that Trouba's fiance is looking to do her residency, so tri state area was big target for him. He's going to marry her and all that...also makes it seem much more likely he'll re-sign there after this year.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
StoiCynic StoiCynic just saw some bit from AP or someone that Trouba's fiance is looking to do her residency, so tri state area was big target for him. He's going to marry her and all that...also makes it seem much more likely he'll re-sign there after this year.

Yeah read that. Apparently he had like 3 teams on his list, kind of had Chevy by the balls but a win is a win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Doesn't sound like Marner negotiations are going well, EK and Skinner deals have him sniffing 10+ per. Lou really put that team in cap hell, can't wait to see him destroy the Isles.

Merrith

Doesn't sound like Marner negotiations are going well, EK and Skinner deals have him sniffing 10+ per. Lou really put that team in cap hell, can't wait to see him destroy the Isles.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Even with an $83M cap, they have less than $9M in cap space currently with only 10 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. Marner can't get anything close to what he wants without some moves happening.