2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Even with an $83M cap, they have less than $9M in cap space currently with only 10 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. Marner can't get anything close to what he wants without some moves happening.

Marleau making 6.25 yikes. Apparently will only go to SJ or a team willing to buy him out which I would be ok with for Kapanen. Wouldn't really matter though cause SJ still couldn't afford him. Zaitzev making 4.5 haha. I don't hate Toronto, but I love to see the newly cocky fans sweat. Funny thing is they STILL will be shit on the back end and Andersen did not look good in the PO's. They need a wizard to make this work and somehow be better than last year.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Marleau making 6.25 yikes. Apparently will only go to SJ or a team willing to buy him out which I would be ok with for Kapanen. Wouldn't really matter though cause SJ still couldn't afford him. Zaitzev making 4.5 haha. I don't hate Toronto, but I love to see the newly cocky fans sweat. Funny thing is they STILL will be shit on the back end and Andersen did not look good in the PO's. They need a wizard to make this work and somehow be better than last year.

4 forwards making $6M+ a year and two of them with $11M+ cap hits...and Marner wants ~10. It's crazy.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Not sure which playoffs you were watching if you think Andersen didnt have a good series. He put up a .922 and was arguably the better goaltender in the series with Rask.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Not sure which playoffs you were watching if you think Andersen didnt have a good series. He put up a .922 and was arguably the better goaltender in the series with Rask.

Regardless of all that, he let in a few bad goals in the last two losses. Small sample size though, I like Fred fwiw.

Fadaar

That guy
Looking at the Lightning they aren't looking bad going into next season or 2020, but 2021 and beyond gonna be interesting since Vasy will be due for a deal. Point and Stralman are the big names that need deals prior to this coming season. Point is the one I'd assume doesn't get a deal done with his age and how good of a season he had. Stralman is 32 and Girardi is 35, don't expect them to get long term deals. Well, Stralman maybe. Girardi played well down the stretch but he's getting up there. Would love for them to hang on to Domingue as a backup goalie but don't know if they can afford that luxury.

Merrith

Looking at the Lightning they aren't looking bad going into next season or 2020, but 2021 and beyond gonna be interesting since Vasy will be due for a deal. Point and Stralman are the big names that need deals prior to this coming season. Point is the one I'd assume doesn't get a deal done with his age and how good of a season he had. Stralman is 32 and Girardi is 35, don't expect them to get long term deals. Well, Stralman maybe. Girardi played well down the stretch but he's getting up there. Would love for them to hang on to Domingue as a backup goalie but don't know if they can afford that luxury.

Tampa Bay Lightning - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You are a year behind on Vasy deal (if we're talking about the year the season starts in). He'll need a new one after this season, as will Sergachev, Cernak, and Cirelli (although on the bright side, Callahan's $5.8M cap hit comes off the books after this year). As for this year, Lightning only have $5.876M in cap space with 10F and 6D signed. Other RFA's aside from Point are Paquette, Martel, and Erne. Also they need a 7th D which I assume they'll try to bring back Girardi very cheaply or Stralman a good bit less so. If they let Point go, should have enough money to fill out stuff this year, but losing Point hurts. Callahan's deal covers Vasy's new deal, but not sure what all the rest of your RFA's this year and next are expected to get.

Fadaar

That guy
Derp yeah I was year behind on Vasy. Depth is going to be hard to keep around unless they continue to magically reload like they have been. I imagine Point will get some pretty solid offers and I don't think the Lightning can afford to match them. I admittedly don't know much about NHL free agency rules but I'm assuming it functions like the NFL does when it comes to RFA players and the deal matching bit. If I had to guess how it goes down --

Forwards:

Callahan gone after this year. Great player and leader but a simple cap casualty.
Point is gone sadly -- UNLESS a crazy scenario plays out regarding the Seattle draft. Get Point signed to a long term deal now then leave Tyler Johnson unprotected for Seattle to scoop up. He's a Washington native and while I'm sure Johnson is plenty happy in Tampa who knows, he might like the idea. Total spitball on this one and really pulling it outta my ass. In all likelihood he's gone.
Erne and Martel get short term deals
Paquette is actually way younger than I thought he was, played 5 seasons but only 25. Not sure on him. Stats aren't great but he's a physical presence which the team sorely lacks. Doubt he'll get a deal TBH.
Joseph I think is a candidate for a long term deal. Played great and can use some of that money freed up from Girardi and Callahan.
Cirelli gets a long term deal as the 1st or 2nd line center, depending on where they decide to play Stamkos. With Point gone I can see him going 2nd line and Stamkos moving back to C for 1st line.

Defense:

Rutta I don't really know much about. Came in late in the year and didn't seem that amazing, but was also only his second season at the NHL level. Lightning must like him better than Koekkoek so I imagine he gets a deal after the season unless he completely shits the bed.
Sergachev I think is really up in the air. His +- was pretty low considering the price he'll likely command for a deal. Would be great to keep him as an offensive minded defenseman, but his defense needs to improve. A long term deal depends on what happens with others.
Stralman is at the end of a $4.5M/yr contract. If they can lock him up for a few more years at that rate I see it happening, if he gets offers elsewhere making more I can see him leaving, but with Florida having no state income tax numbers get weird. He'll turn 33 before the season starts so nothing super long term. I'm hopeful he'll retire a Bolt.
Cernak has to get resigned, he was a beast as a rookie. IMO besides Vasy he and Cirelli are the highest priorities.
Girardi was making $5.5M/yr, there's no way they can afford that with his production. Unless he signs for way cheaper he's gone and take the money he was making and use it to resign Cernak and others, possibly Sergachev.
Coburn was a shit signing as a long term deal. Can see him being a midseason trade pawn, either way he's gone after his deal is up.

Goalies

Vasy obvious long term deal, at this point it's just getting the numbers to line up between the two sides.
Domingue I'd really love for us to keep, he was great in a backup role.

Minor league players I don't know a whole lot about, but I can see Cal Foote coming up and being a day 1 starter on defense especially if Girardi leaves. Outside of Cory Conacher I don't know much about the rest of the players, but I see a lot of forwards with 40+ points and a few in the 80's. Don't know if that's particularly good or not in the AHL so... yay? Conacher did just fine for the Lightning in 2012/13 before he got traded for some guy named Ben Bishop and then he ended up back with the Lightning again anyway. GG on that one.

Kinda want to bookmark this post and check it again at the end of the season to see how horribly wrong I was. Season ain't even close to starting yet so plenty can change but I see their day 1 roster being pretty similar to last year minus Point, Girardi, and Paquette. Foote replaces Girardi, Stamkos moves back to center, Conacher comes up to play on 2nd or 3rd line. Don't know who they get as 4th line center, probably another guy from Syracuse. They seem to keep pulling talent out of their ass every year anyway.

Merrith

I'd imagine you could get Girardi dirt cheap if you really wanted/needed a cheap filler vet.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
64697054_2587713694595130_8590347956832436224_n.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Well shit speaking of Callahan, looks like he's forced to retire for medical reasons

Not being totally up on the rules, was he one of those 35 and over deals where the cap hit doesn't go away for that? Or are you guys in the clear

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Predicting the wings trade up take Byram at 5, take Zegras at 6 or trade down to 10 and I find out who we draft tomorrow after I turn it off in anger.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Predicting the wings trade up take Byram at 5, take Zegras at 6 or trade down to 10 and I find out who we draft tomorrow after I turn it off in anger.

Don't think they will have to trade up, at least I personally don't think it is worth it. You guys are probably getting one of the two which is awesome, I really like Zegras. Hope LA takes Knight to help ya's out.

Merrith

With all the shenanigans regarding the salary cap, if GMBM doesn't think we can keep Burakovsky, might see us be aggressive and try to trade his RFA rights along with pick #25 to move up a couple spots if some forward talent drops in teens to round pick #20.