2018-2019 NBA Thread

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Pretty happy the Pelicans ended up with Randle instead of Cousins. Price wasn't bad and there's no injury questions that come along with it.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I think it's an issue all sides would prefer not to go nuclear. I imagine it could open up the team/league to lawsuits and they don't wanna pay out $400 million plus in "future career earnings" claims.

Kawhi is medically cleared by a doctor paid to look out for the best interests of the team, not the best interests of Kawhi. Dude still felt pain, something wasn't right, got a second opinion from an independent doctor. Second doctor says no you are not cleared you obviously can't play and here's what's wrong with a plan to fix it.

Fresh in Kawhi's mind is what he is seeing every day where teams look out for themselves not their players: the big one around the league is Isaiah Thomas who might've gotten a MAX contract but instead will be paying for a couple million, but closer to home is Kawhi watching Ginoboli everyday go through "the same" quad injury and hobble around without any oh his explosion where the team said he was just fine.

Hot take. He lied about being in pain. He found a doctor that believed his claim he was in pain. The doctor got suckered. Well guys he's in pain! You can't make him play. He lied so he didn't have to play and leverage his pre-agency into a trade to get out. He knew playing his ass off for Pop to win 55 games and get bounced in the second round in San Antonio was going to do nothing for this brand. So he and his advisors concocted this plan which by the way is working out PERFECTLY. Does that make your last point and the comparison to Thomas and Manu wrong? Nope. I am actually saying there is merit to what you are saying. But I do not believe for a second he has been truthful about his "injury" and this does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I would like to see this go nuclear, because I think this is Pandora's box. Any professional athlete in any team sport now can start thinking about exaggerating an injury to preserve the body in order to leverage an impending expiration of a contract to force a trade to a place he/she wants.

Let's say you're Le'veon Bell. You are in a one year franchise contract. You have no long term security. Maybe...you feel dizzy. Man you can't focus. You can't stand to be in a lighted room. Team doctor says you don't have a concussion. But you insist you have head problems. Team clears you week after week but NOPE you say I am not feeling "right". Then it gets leaked you really would like to play for the Niners. You sure love that Cali weather and the weed. Then after playing in just 4 games you look around and see an aging Big Ben. A crappy defense. Long, cold winters in Pittsburgh. And fuck that loud mouth AB taking all ypur attention. You says either give me a long term contract or don't tag me again cause I just...might...still...feel...bad...again. While you sit there and collect another premium year of the franchise tag, keep wear and tear off your body (and we know RBs fall off the cliff at 30), and play chicken with management.

Is that so crazy to think? I say no. Cause it is happening in San Antonio.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Damn, traded in JaVale for Boogie.

Of course coming off the Achillies tear leaves some questions.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit man. Will Golden State seriously be starting 5 all stars? This is insane.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Thats beyond ridiculous. No point in even questioning the end result of the season if they dont deal with any significant injuries.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Ya if Boogie comes back healthy it's silly. He was what 25/13 and 36% from 3 last year before he got hurt? Lmao.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Never been a big Boogie fan. But I'll take him as the fifth best player on the squad for 5.3 mill lol.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This is a bridge too far. There is absolutely no reason to watch the postseason. I mean, there really wasn't this last year, but it's pretty solidified now if Cousins can play at all this next year. Just imagine how much fun basketball would be if there was actually competition.

Then again, I'm not gonna act like I watched NBA much last year. Spent way more time reading scouting reports and mock drafts than I did actually watching "basketball".

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Ya if he's healthy, say even 50%, he's about 200% better than McGee and they'd legit have 5 guys who can shoot from 3.

They'd be starting an all star team lol. At what point does the NBA do something?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean Houston came real close to beating them in the playoffs, Boston/Cavs series was interesting too, it's not just it's 1 good team, the problem is after the top handful of teams the dropoff is drastic.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think they will redo the seeding in the NBA within a couple years.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I mean Houston came real close to beating them in the playoffs, Boston/Cavs series was interesting too, it's not just it's 1 good team, the problem is after the top handful of teams the dropoff is drastic.

100%. But if Cousins is 60% of what he was for 15-20min in the postseason, this is just too much. Not to mention Houston losing Ariza hurts their chances even more. The Celtics maybe, maybe have a shot if Hayward and Irving stay healthy? Still wouldn't go near those odds.

NBA winning off-seasons, not so much the actual product.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
NBA is different than the other major sports because 1 player makes such a difference. A starting pitcher might matter more in the games they play, but they're only going to be starting 35 games or something out of 162. Mayb QB in the NFL

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I think they will redo the seeding in the NBA within a couple years.

They should redo it now. Only massholes want to see the Celtics in the finals for the next 5 years. This is the perfect time to reseed when like 13 of the top 15 players in the league are in the West. A top 16 tourney would preemptively give new life to the playoffs. Maybe Philly makes a Kawhi deal and they give the Celtics good fights, but aside from that not much to look forward to in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fuck the warriors, though I wouldn't expect them to not have done any of the moves they did. I hope they all break their dicks.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm honestly way more excited for next off season than I am the upcoming season.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
They'd be starting an all star team lol. At what point does the NBA do something?

The last time the NBA "did something" to help make the league more competitive with the Warriors they were helping your boy get back into a series he would have otherwise been done in. And the result? Yeah, they got a better finals series. But was it worth it? KD, now this lol. They had no idea what the aftershocks would be the last time they meddled to bring the Warriors down another notch, what should or can they do? lol

• 1Picard