2018-2019 NBA Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Any sport suffers when you have the same 3-4 teams dominating every year. Yeah, it's fun when that happens to be your team. But I'm a fan of fair competition. I much prefer to watch gut wrenching games where teams win/lose by 1-2 points, even if it's two teams I don't give a fuck about. I'd watch that game over my favorite team demolishing.

This whole concept of a super team bugs the fuck out of me. I also hate the concept of constant trading, but it is double edged - it can build up teams, or help to dilute them. Too much of the former is happening for teams that are already strong and leaving lesser teams in the dust. Kinna feel like this also applies to the NFL. Its the fantasy football generation where folks follow players, not teams. For better or worse.

Was way better in the 00's when it was Lakers/Spurs every year, or the 90s when it was the Bulls until Jordan got bored of winning it all every year. Even the 80s when it was Lakers/Celtics had some real parody!

This ain't the NFL, which still has the Patriots in the SB every year, so stop being such whiny faggots

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
People always talk about parity, but that's never what the ratings show. Nobody really wants just a bunch of above average teams in the playoffs with nobody to chase.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Was way better in the 00's when it was Lakers/Spurs every year, or the 90s when it was the Bulls until Jordan got bored of winning it all every year. Even the 80s when it was Lakers/Celtics had some real parody!

This ain't the NFL, which still has the Patriots in the SB every year, so stop being such whiny faggots

Yah I made a post about this two weeks back pretty much showing that the NBA has always been dominated by one to two teams for a decade at a time. The only time this wasn't true is the 70's and that is considered the dark ages of the nba. Hell the lakers and the Celtics make up a third of all NBA titles and the Lakers/Spurs make up over half the 21st century titles.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
A handful of players have won the majority of championships. That's all you really need to know about NBA parity.

• 2Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yah I made a post about this two weeks back pretty much showing that the NBA has always been dominated by one to two teams for a decade at a time. The only time this wasn't true is the 70's and that is considered the dark ages of the nba. Hell the lakers and the Celtics make up a third of all NBA titles and the Lakers/Spurs make up over half the 21st century titles.

The NBA is different that the other major sports and is much more likely to be dominated than other leagues.

First, you have 5 starters so a great player or two makes a bigger difference than in something like football or baseball. Each team also has an average of 100 possessions per game so it's less swayed by a lucky play here or there like in baseball, hockey, or football where there can be very few scores. Then you have the 7 game series which also makes it harder for less skilled/"lucky" teams to win it all.

So in a sport that's already set up to be dominated by the top few times, you have a team that lost in 2016 and was pushed to 7 games in the WCF and people have questions on if they would have won it had CP3 not been injured. The same team drafted 3 of it's superstars, had a 2 time MVP playing for pennies on what he's worth, had a FA agree to take less than he's worth, and then got another All-Star coming off an Achilles injury who apparently was turned down by the Lakers.

The Warriors are incredibly lucky and 1 in a million that these things keep working out for them, but nothing's broken. The "Super Teams" aren't ruining the NBA.

The Heat were beat by the Mavs and the Spurs. The Warriors lost to a Cav team that only had a 1 year window and would have been easily beaten by the Celtics if they weren't down their 2 best players.

None of these super teams have been unbeatable so not sure why people are crying about it so much

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
People want good games and they didn't get that this last finals. Everyone wants to see a battle of giants. The dominance of Golden State is a bit different and they do have more stars than anyone since the 60s. Just like a lot of the 80s and 90s superbowls were terrible, this last finals was the same outside of game one. The conference championships were far better watches. Maybe the Celtics or Sixers spice it up this year.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
People want good games and they didn't get that this last finals. Everyone wants to see a battle of giants. The dominance of Golden State is a bit different and they do have more stars than anyone since the 60s. Just like a lot of the 80s and 90s superbowls were terrible, this last finals was the same outside of game one. The conference championships were far better watches. Maybe the Celtics or Sixers spice it up this year.
Sure the Finals themselves only had a couple of close games, but there were plenty of excellent series leading up to it. I do think that Boston matches up much better against Golden State than the Cavs did. The Cousins addition could make a real difference in the Houston and maybe a Celtics series but nobody knows how he'll pan out after coming back from such a big injury.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
36531124_1770761933011328_8129726831893938176_n.jpg

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Melo is garbage and one of the most overrated players of my lifetime so that's good for them. Please god don't come to Utah.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Him opting in was about that paycheck because he might not get $30M for the rest of his career.

The problem with Melo is his ego, not his game.

Olympic Melo is amazing but the dude is convinced he's a #1 option not a piece on a championship caliber team.

Not sure how good he could be at this stage of his career. He's getting close to being an old vet signing for the minimum for a little playing time off the bench on a contender. I don't think you trust him to run your bench team at this point.

• 1Solidarity

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
When he was in against the Jazz last playoffs it was like playing 5v4. He can't shoot, never passes, and can't play defense. Why not just put a fuckin' tree out there and try to lodge the ball in its branches.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Last season was his worst ever, but the dude has a career PER of over 20.

His usage rate is the biggest issue. Most replacement level players aren't ball-stoppers and the dude is enough of a defensive liability to where he has to contribute on offense. He's going to have a hard time aging in today's NBA.

Juvarisx

Florida
I'm curious on how far the pick is protected. This is more than I would have expected to get as a Spurs fan, but it still sucks to trade one of the best players in the league.

Top 20 protected, it becomes 2 seconds otherwise. Toronto really didn't give anything up for the future, all this did was push the rebuild up 1 year if Kawhi leaves. Frankly all the doom and gloom on the NBA reddit is overblown, Toronto is a better team today and didn't give up young talent or early 1sts to do so. If they can't win now they were never going to and can blow it up regardless.

• 1Like