2018-2019 NBA Thread

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Kuzma, Lonzo and a 1st round pick will get this over the line for L.A. Maybe Ingram too. Seems like they're giving up too much but AD is a freak and Magic does goofy shit sometimes. Will be interested to see where he lands - could make LA a little better this season but doesn't do them any favors in 3 years.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Pelicans Will Deal Davis "On Our Terms"
Pretty much, "We don't give a shit about you guys" to the Lakers. Rich Paul can certainly angle AD to LA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a shot at AD even with that uncertainty, a la Paul George and OKC, possibly Kawhi etc.

Pelicans will wait for Boston to show up and trump anything LA does. Talk is LA would have to START with: Ball, Kuzma, Zubac, and a 1st. A lot of the league is apparently pretty down on the Lakers young players, other than Kuzma. But he is far from a "star".

Make Jrue Holiday available Pelicans. I have a Dennis Smith Jr. (at least) for you. Mirotic and Randle are nice pieces as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Pelicans Will Deal Davis "On Our Terms"
Pretty much, "We don't give a shit about you guys" to the Lakers. Rich Paul can certainly angle AD to LA, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take a shot at AD even with that uncertainty, a la Paul George and OKC, possibly Kawhi etc.

Pelicans will wait for Boston to show up and trump anything LA does. Talk is LA would have to START with: Ball, Kuzma, Zubac, and a 1st. A lot of the league is apparently pretty down on the Lakers young players, other than Kuzma. But he is far from a "star".

Make Jrue Holiday available Pelicans. I have a Dennis Smith Jr. (at least) for you. Mirotic and Randle are nice pieces as well.
Ingram has been dogshit and Ball keeps getting hurt and still can't shoot. I mean Kuzma and Hart are both fine but at some point they'll have no depth and will have to hope someone actually wants to come there in the offseason which surprisingly doesn't seem as easy it would have before. Boston has a lot more assets and whatever trade they end up making will have move depth than after whatever the Lakers would. The biggest issue with LA is that NO doesn't give a fuck about expiring contracts, otherwise they could pile a few of those into the deal too. Like if they thought they could get some free agents they could take Pope and Rondo and end up with over 20 million in cap space next season but who the hell would go to them without davis there?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
All the young Lakers are projects. They all have All-Star potential but none made a big jump this year.

Boston has a core of overperforming young dudes who have a lower ceiling than the kids from LA but they're also better right now, plus all those first-round picks in the next few years and the Danny Ainge effect.

If Magic Johnson can gather an all-star trio of LeBron, AD, and Klay Thompson they can afford to go all-in on this trade because LA will always be a free agent destination especially with LeBron, but sacrificing all their assets won't work if they can't recruit another youngish star this off-season. Hell maybe they can run a lineup of AD, Boogie, Klay, journeyman 3&D, and LeBron.

Sterling

El Presidente
All the young Lakers are projects. They all have All-Star potential but none made a big jump this year.

Boston has a core of overperforming young dudes who have a lower ceiling than the kids from LA but they're also better right now, plus all those first-round picks in the next few years and the Danny Ainge effect.

If Magic Johnson can gather an all-star trio of LeBron, AD, and Klay Thompson they can afford to go all-in on this trade because LA will always be a free agent destination especially with LeBron, but sacrificing all their assets won't work if they can't recruit another youngish star this off-season. Hell maybe they can run a lineup of AD, Boogie, Klay, journeyman 3&D, and LeBron.
I don't really think they are all projects. I think Kuzma and Hart are kind of what they're always going to be at this point. Ball needs to learn to score a little bit, but he's really good at just about everything else so if he learns to shoot adequately he could be a really, really good player. Ingram is really a project though. He along with Ball have potential to be allstar caliber players but he's kind of a mess right now. He's still only 21 and maybe he can figure it out in the next couple of seasons. The problem is if they trade 2 or 3 of these young guys and some picks and maybe have to swap some of their expirings for one of the pelicans shitty contracts or something they'll have literally no depth at all.

One thing that kind of hurts Boston in this is that the Kings pick isn't shaping up to be as good as they'd have expected when they got it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Dubs are going to do everything possible to keep Klay. They want to keep the Steph-Green-Klay trio together as long as it makes sense to.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Give me the ceiling of Tatum (especially Tatum) and even Brown over any of the Lakers young guys, any day. Ball does a lot of good things, but he just can't score and I really don't think he ever will. Kuzma should be a very solid regular going forward, but as Sterling said, this is probably what Kuzma will be going forward. I'm not big on Ingram at all, he just isn't a great basketball player. Hopefully he can turn it around, but it sounds like this is the sentiment a lot "executives" around the league have regarding the Lakers' young core. Plus, Kuzma & Ingram shooting about 30-31% from 3 hurts as well, although Kuzma's might just be because he has been asked to take on a larger role in LBJ's absence.

Woj: Davis May Only Sign Extension With Lakers
Article here, Woj claims that there is a tight bond between Irving and Anthony Davis, and that Irving would almost certainly re-sign with the Celtics if AD was brought aboard. Fun shit that could shake-up the NBA.

Ps. The Woj talk about Klay to the Lakers, was pretty theoretical. Nothing concrete there at all.
PSS. Doncic is God.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The Kyrie thing really throws a strange wrench into these trade talks. If you are the Lakers you're pushing hard right now for a deal since Boston can't do anything until the season ends.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I think we need to stop procrastinating and move some of these mid tier West teams to the East. Shit is getting ridiculous.

• 1Like

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Feel like the NBA needs to come up with an even stronger wrench to throw into these superstar contracts to prevent everyone from just gravitating to LA or Boston or whatever. The league has become a waste of time for any small market team, they're never going to win. The best they can hope for is a few years of developing a star so they can drive up the price for the inevitable trade demand a la Davis. People seem more than willing to forego the slightly larger contracts they can earn with their original teams if they can go to a major city. Maybe something like the original drafting team can offer 5 years $250m that only counts as $150m against the cap, any other team can offer 5 years $150m. That large a discrepancy will cause some stars to remain loyal, but maybe everyone just wants the super LA teams vs super Boston or whatever else

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
The one thing with the trade is that him being healthy for a good stretch to pair with Luka isn't exactly guaranteed. If he ends up missing a lot of time over the rest of his career it's a huge problem.