2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah I think that is way to much and I am glad the Seahawks cut him.
Man what a fuck you to the Seahawks too!!! He's getting paid MORE! I'm sure they can cut him but so what, this year they're using a lot of cap on a guy that almost assuredly won't be 100% at the start of the season and probably never the same guy completely.

I never imagined someone would give him that kind of contract.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah not really sure how I feel about this.

On one hand it is a great veteran presence to help that young defense. Assuming his achilles heals up properly (big if there) he is probably still a top 15 CB.

On the other hand, that is a TON of money to pay a guy with those question marks. I also don't know how he is going to mesh with the locker room.

I think this is either going to prove to either be the first major hiccup for Lynch and Shanahan, or possibly a brilliant move. Only time will tell.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If he continues to play at a really high level he may be worth it. I really doubt it though. With his age and the injury and how much retooling the defense and offensive line need he just wasn't worth the gamble anymore for Seattle. I really hate to see him go to the fucking 49ers though.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
No one ever really comes back 100% from that injury. I have my doubts on a position that has to rely on smarts AND speed to be at the top of the profession. I actually like the guy, I hope he comes back. Sucks the human body isn't meant for this kind of abuse.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Not just that, but part of the reason Sherman was so good was because of Kam and Thomas. He had one of the greatest safety duo's in the history of the NFL as a safety blanket for him, which allowed him a ton of opportunity to shine. I am not saying he isn't great, because he was, but those 2 really helped elevate his game.

I'm not going to hold my breath on this working out all that well.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I mean, to be honest, seems like you guys are panicking over the Rams moves. Anything can happen though, injuries in the NFL are a bitch. Shit we almost went 0-2 against you guys anyways hah. Can't really count that last game though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
No one ever really comes back 100% from that injury. I have my doubts on a position that has to rely on smarts AND speed to be at the top of the profession. I actually like the guy, I hope he comes back. Sucks the human body isn't meant for this kind of abuse.

Yeah, even after that almost career-ending knee injury in Seattle, Bowman still came back fairly strong. It wasn't until he tore his achilles that he truly started to look like a broken, old man.

I had been telling my buddies all off-season that Sherman would end up in San Fran, because it made so much sense. We needed a veteran, we needed a corner, and we have a ton of cap room. I think it's a fantastic move if he still has another 1-2 "good" years in him, but that injury is a total game changer to the human body.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah, even after that almost career-ending knee injury in Seattle, Bowman still came back fairly strong. It wasn't until he tore his achilles that he truly started to look like a broken, old man.

I had been telling my buddies all off-season that Sherman would end up in San Fran, because it made so much sense. We needed a veteran, we needed a corner, and we have a ton of cap room. I think it's a fantastic move if he still has another 1-2 "good" years in him, but that injury is a total game changer to the human body.
Who knows, don't think you guys are a win now team but stranger things have happened. You finished the year strong so why not. Still I'd take what we did over this. High risk, high reward but I really wouldn't count on a lot of reward. NFC is looking strong with the Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Falcons, Saints, Packers etc...

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I mean, to be honest, seems like you guys are panicking over the Rams moves.
Now that is just a dumb statement. Everyone knew possibly the single biggest need the 49ers had was at CB, and they were going to most likely be targeting Trumaine Johnson or Malcom Butler (of course until Sherman was released). The 49ers clearly had plans to bring in a FA CB, and probably still grab one in the draft. So saying this is in reaction to the Rams moves is just silly.

Some more details on the contract

• 1Worf

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Now that is just a dumb statement. Everyone knew possibly the single biggest need the 49ers had was at CB, and they were going to most likely be targeting Trumaine Johnson or Malcom Butler (of course until Sherman was released). The 49ers clearly had plans to bring in a FA CB, and probably still grab one in the draft. So saying this is in reaction to the Rams moves is just silly.

Some more details on the contract

No No you're totally right bro. I can't fucking wait to see you overpay TJ. I'm sitting here shaking.

• 1Picard

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No No you're totally right bro. I can't fucking wait to see you overpay TJ. I'm sitting here shaking.
What? Are you trying to tell me that the 49ers weren't going to be targeting a CB in FA this year? And the only reason they went after Sherman was because of the moves the Rams made? That's asinine dude.

And I doubt they go after TJ now, especially if they have to pay a lot for him. I think the team believes in Witherspoon and that he will only get better with time. My guess is they will probably go after Allen Robinson for their last big FA splash, but who knows?

What is there to be shaking about? The 49ers still have a lot of holes to fill.

• 1Worf

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Ok so where are we at now? You paid a premium for a guy with 2 achilles injuries. I WANT you guys to sign TJ dammit lol.

I'm just doing some shit talking man, you have been and will always be the #1 Rams rival.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I guess you just have to think of this from a real rivals perspective. This legendary Seahawk has what is almost always a career altering injury signs a big deal with a division rival, the hated Niners! Now both teams have ill feelings towards each other already and I just get to sit back and laugh. This is fucking great and you can't ruin it for me!!!!!

Junky

Lord Nagafen Raider
49ers must be the favs to win the super bowl now........lmao

• 1Worf

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How the fuck is giving Sherman 7 million guaranteed a risky move? He might hit some incentives and reap in the 13 million, but if he does, its worth money because he would have played at a high level. The guy has been the best DB in the NFL since 2012. Six seasons is forever, I hate the guy but he has played at a high level for a long time. Hurting his achilles sucks and he might never be the same, but he represents himself in contract negotiations and obviously believes he has some years left.

John Lynch isnt an idiot. They were doing their due diligence, I wanted them to sign Butler, but Im sure they were confident after he went through a physical. The guy was drafted in 2011, he was an All Pro 3 times, 4 time Pro Bowler and single handedly dismantled one of the Niners Super Bowl runs. he is what, 28 years old? He cant be older than 29. If he even has two DECENT seasons for us, it will be well worth the cost. Our secondary was horrible last year, almost anyone at the position is going to be worth 7 million dollars in comparison to last year.

The 49ers are still lacking on defense, and if Foster doesnt come back they are really going to be in trouble. If Hyde signs somewhere else they better draft themselves a good runner, or I fear they will be putting too much pressure on Garoppolo.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah honestly that contract looks like a prove it 1 year deal that could turn into a bigger one if Sherman plays great the first year...which would be the hardest year to do so coming off the injury. If he does, it's a bonus. If he doesn't, it won't cost nearly as much.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah honestly that contract looks like a prove it 1 year deal that could turn into a bigger one if Sherman plays great the first year...which would be the hardest year to do so coming off the injury. If he does, it's a bonus. If he doesn't, it won't cost nearly as much.
Yup, Sherman is totally betting on himself here. I just hope it really works out

• 1Worf