2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, until the details of the contract are known, it's unclear how deeply bound the 49ers are to him. If they have an out after a few years or it's front loaded, it's a totally acceptable risk.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently you can't make tongue-in-cheek comments around here. FoOtBaLl Is SeRiOuS bUsInEsS!

Well of course you can, but the amount of "Brady blew the game" commentary has been a little puzzling given what he actually did in the game. I kind of just chalk it up to Brady hate (because it's really easy to hate on the guy and his team).

I mean Dioblaire, you're a Broncos fan, not terribly crazy to assume you were trying to be semi serious with the Brady hate

Merrith

I understand you guys think he is going to be good, and he might work out that way. But he has won SEVEN games as a starter... 7. I dont care how good he might be, he hasn't earned that deal. Imagine what Rodgers is going to get when he renews his deal which is coming very soon.

This is true. Of course, do you know how many games he has started? Seven. They didn't exactly beat powderpuffs either end of last year. That was with his best receiver Garcon out hurt too. If they get him some more help...I mean, Niners set NFL record for started 0 and whatever with all the losses being close as fuck last year, too. Maybe teams find some tape on him that reveals his big weaknesses...or maybe he's just pretty damn good, so good that Darth Bill wanted him to be Brady's successor and instead the Niners and Kyle Shanahan got the sweetheart deal on the next great QB.

Cousins new deal might top this one as well, and yeah, Rodgers will absolutely clean up on his next contract.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Well of course you can, but the amount of "Brady blew the game" commentary has been a little puzzling given what he actually did in the game. I kind of just chalk it up to Brady hate (because it's really easy to hate on the guy and his team).

I mean Dioblaire, you're a Broncos fan, not terribly crazy to assume you were trying to be semi serious with the Brady hate
Oh, I think Brady is one of the greats. But I will always hate him with every fiber of my being. So I will also always take the time to poke fun at him ;)

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Report: Actors prod Gronk to go Hollywood

I think if Gronk retires now he's gonna regret it. Sure being an actor is safer and you may actually make more money. But that career option is still going to exist in another 3-5 years or whatever. It's not like he's a Muhammed Ali fighting Larry Holmes type of obvious brain damage guy.

At best maybe he's the next "The Rock" and makes a ton of money. But do you ever find yourself thinking "Man the Rock as Doom Guy firing the BFG was the greatest acting moment ever!" All Rocks movies just blend together as one big explosion and him walking out in front of the Camera a moment later.

The dude is the best player ever to play his position in the Football history, Playing with the best QB in football history, under the best coach in football history. You've got to think the competitor in him is gonna wanna see far he can go with that.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Gronk is 28 years old and has had 9 surgeries since being in the NFL including one in his back four in his forearm and one in his knee. If he does continue to play another year or two I can definitely see him telling Kraft that the next major injury he suffers he's done.

Merrith

Report: Actors prod Gronk to go Hollywood

I think if Gronk retires now he's gonna regret it. Sure being an actor is safer and you may actually make more money. But that career option is still going to exist in another 3-5 years or whatever. It's not like he's a Muhammed Ali fighting Larry Holmes type of obvious brain damage guy.

At best maybe he's the next "The Rock" and makes a ton of money. But do you ever find yourself thinking "Man the Rock as Doom Guy firing the BFG was the greatest acting moment ever!" All Rocks movies just blend together as one big explosion and him walking out in front of the Camera a moment later.

The dude is the best player ever to play his position in the Football history, Playing with the best QB in football history, under the best coach in football history. You've got to think the competitor in him is gonna wanna see far he can go with that.

Rock made $65 million last year it said somewhere in one of those articles. Plus if Rock and Stallone are the ones prodding you, pretty likely they're friendly with Gronk and will at the very least get him side roles in some of their films. Agree that option will probably be there still for another couple of years, but no idea what he feels like waking up every day from all his injuries.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Gronk giving it up isn't a bad idea, dude plays fearlessly. Gets him hurt a lot. He is a HoF'er day one, but an actor? Maybe if they dub over his voice, terminator remake?

Fadaar

That guy
If I were Gronk I'd get the fuck out as soon as Brady retires. He's a good dude and his body has been destroyed to hell and back, I don't want to see him end up a statistic when he'd be a lot more entertaining alive and in front of the camera.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I want a show with Marshawn and Gronk hanging out doing stuff. Reality TV is fucking cancer, but I gotta say I would watch that.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I understand you guys think he is going to be good, and he might work out that way. But he has won SEVEN games as a starter... 7. I dont care how good he might be, he hasn't earned that deal. Imagine what Rodgers is going to get when he renews his deal which is coming very soon.
With the roster the 49ers were fielding last year, 6 straight wins may as well have been 6 straight Super Bowls.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My favorite Gronk memory doesn't even happen on the field.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone else think this may be too much a commitment and money for a dude that hasn't played one NFL season?

Grats him though. Wow.

It is, but the market being what it is and sf's situation being what it is, it's hard to say they did the wrong thing. I'd rather see them go big and lose than what the Redskins have done trying to save a few bucks with Cousins.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users