2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm so anxious to see how the Lions do this coming season. So hard to predict right now.

Sterling

El Presidente
Lions will be middle of the road. Like 7 to 9 wins or something.

A lot of people seem to really like the Jags this year and that just seems crazy to me. Their whole division was riddled with QB injuries last year and they have a much harder schedule this year. Plus I would bet that their defense will still be really good, but not as crazy good as it was last season. Same sort of thing with the Vikings, both teams will be in the playoff mix but they won't be nearly as successful as they were last season.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Well that would be retarded.

Also the homer in me thinks the Chargers have the pieces to make a run this year.

You're so hopeful every year, Chanur.

This year, though, I think you might be right. I think the Chargers have probably the best chance they've had since the early Norv Turner years. Plus, there's a lot of unknowns in the division that could result in it being a shitty division (how are Keenum and Mahomes going to perform and will Gruden be stuck in the past?). If I had to bet, I'd at least bet on the Chargers winning that division.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am skeptical on the Jags, too, but there is a lot to like about them. The did pose a credible threat to NE in Foxborough, unlike every other AFC team for the last two decades who just gets fucking bodied when they go there in the playoffs. They have a very strong defense built on a good foundation of multiple players, but without all the bullshit dick waving (and uncalled PI) of the similar Seattle one from a few years back. Their division is almost as easy to dominate as the AFC East. The culture of the team in general, is pretty positive and likeable, which makes attracting and keeping solid players a lot easier for them. I am just skeptical that they are ready to make a run, yet, and teams like this tend to have a sophomore slump after the kind of breakout year they had last season.

I do agree the AFC West is likely to be the most interesting and competitive division in football, next season. I do think any one of them COULD win that division and I would LOVE to see the Chargers give Phillipe De Rios one last shot at a ring, but the Chargers move kind of sucked the air out of them as a team and they are notorious about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory on a level only a Lions fan could admire.

My dumbass predictions:
NFC- 49ers, Packers, Eagles, Saints, wild cards- Vikes, Rams
AFC- Evil Empire, Jags, Steelers, who the fuck knows but lets guess and say Raiders, wild cards- Bills, Titans
Championship games:
NFC- Eagles beat Packers
AFC- Pats beat Jags
SB: Eagles by 8 over Pats
Biggest breakout season will be the 49ers, biggest implosion will either be the Roidhawks or Ravens

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm surprised that people are so up on the Bills. I just don't see that happening.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Lions will be middle of the road. Like 7 to 9 wins or something.
Thing is, you could say that for a lot of teams, especially in the NFC.

Seriously, ask yourself: "What's the worst team in the NFC?" The Bears weren't great last year but had arguably the best offseason in the league. The Cardinals' O-line is probably bad enough that even arguably the best QB prospect can't succeed there. The Bucs schedule is hard enough that three games without Winston puts them in 4th place in the division. If Eli is done, the Giants won't be able to maximize Saquon.

Yeah, all of the above are problems, but none of them are "Worst in the Conference" level problems. So step it up a notch and say "Who are the 5 Worst Teams in the NFC?" Now teams like the Seahawks or the Packers (if Rodgers misses 3 or 4 games) are legitimately in the mix.

So sure, you put a gun to my head, I'll say "Eagles / Vikings / Rams / Saints". But half the damn conference could get wildcards and I wouldn't be surprised.

Fadaar

That guy
If the Bucs can steal away one of those first 3 games I'll be amazed. If I had to pick one for them to take it'd be the Steelers. It is on MNF though, where they are fucking terrible. Thankfully for them the rest of season is a lot more favorable, with the only playoff teams they'll face is their own division.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
You're so hopeful every year, Chanur.

This year, though, I think you might be right. I think the Chargers have probably the best chance they've had since the early Norv Turner years. Plus, there's a lot of unknowns in the division that could result in it being a shitty division (how are Keenum and Mahomes going to perform and will Gruden be stuck in the past?). If I had to bet, I'd at least bet on the Chargers winning that division.

Hope is all I have! I believe Keenum is legit but I do not believe in Mahomes though I have barely seen him play so its to early for me to say with certainty.

Also I dont think the 49ers going to win the West. I think the Seahawks are going to be better than people expect and I could see the Rams going either way. Lots of talent but lots of crap going on there.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised to see people ranking the 49ers above the Rams. I do think Garoppolo is probably better than Goff, but in any other part of the team it seems like the Rams have the edge. Or are people just thinking that the Rams crazy offseason spending spree is going to backfire on them? It will be kind of a shame if it does, because if they can't make a serious run in the next couple years these contracts are going to catch up with them and some of the dudes are going to get old and they're going to have to majorly rebuild.

I'm thinking the 9ers are a 9-7, maybe 10-6 team this year, but still at least a year away from making a serious run at the SB.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I need to hear from deadspin before I predict the cowboys will go undefeated this year.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thing is, you could say that for a lot of teams, especially in the NFC.

Seriously, ask yourself: "What's the worst team in the NFC?" The Bears weren't great last year but had arguably the best offseason in the league. The Cardinals' O-line is probably bad enough that even arguably the best QB prospect can't succeed there. The Bucs schedule is hard enough that three games without Winston puts them in 4th place in the division. If Eli is done, the Giants won't be able to maximize Saquon.

Yeah, all of the above are problems, but none of them are "Worst in the Conference" level problems. So step it up a notch and say "Who are the 5 Worst Teams in the NFC?" Now teams like the Seahawks or the Packers (if Rodgers misses 3 or 4 games) are legitimately in the mix.

So sure, you put a gun to my head, I'll say "Eagles / Vikings / Rams / Saints". But half the damn conference could get wildcards and I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm assuming Rodgers is going to be healthy, so no way can I rank Green Bay in the 5 worst teams in the NFC. Last year the 5th worst team in the NFC was a tie between Washington and Green Bay at 7-9 (both finished 3rd in their divisions). Given the health issues both of those teams had (Rodgers for Green Bay, virtually the entire team for the Redskins at one point or another), it's not improbably to expect both to do as well or better (especially Green Bay). Seattle won 9 games last year but I expect them to fall off a couple games maybe. We'll have to see if the Giants could leapfrog over Washington and/or Dallas (I find Dallas unlikely). Bucs should still be 4th in their division, Bears will probably still finish 4th in the Central but be a much improved team, and I guess Arizona and Seattle will battle it out for last in the West if you believe in the 49ers ascension?

Not sure who is ranking 49ers above the Rams, that seems a little sketchy. I could see a 2nd place finish in the West and potential wild card but more than that would be a pretty crazy jump for them.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Fuck yeah, Rams got rid of that fugly dark navy bullshit color and will only wear white/throwbacks (for 5 games)/and the color rush this year.

The throwbacks are now their primary colors until 2020 where they'll likely fuck it up again.

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
In regards to paying a player, isn't there a good ceiling you can look at based on the Franchise Tag over 2-3 years? Basically, tagging a DT first year is 13.94M, second year is 20% increase, so its 16.73M, and then 3rd year is 44% increase over previous year, at 24.09M. Combined, thats 54.76M, or 18.25M/yr. So effectively, if you offer anything over that amount as a team, you're being silly, since even if Donald plays 0 snaps in those 3 seasons, his career is fucked because the Rams own his rights. They have all the leverage here.

Personally, I'd give him a 19M/yr contract over 5 years, and just guarantee 70M. It's over the 3 year average for tagging, and he sets the market for the position. And it seems like the Rams went more than that with 20M/yr over 4. So Donald is crazy, since they have all the leverage

I get it, everyone wants that QB money, but as a player you can't push past the boundaries of what a franchise tag would look like over 2 years, or even 3. Sure, paying a non-QB player 24M on their 3rd year is crazy, but it would be better to do that and have all of their leverage in negotiations

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The kind of spending sprees the Rams did this offseason usually end in disaster. Chip Kelly was the most recent example but there's been a ton of others. And even when that works at usually takes a season or two for things to come together for the team doing it. That's why I'm kind of going with the 49ers in that scenario. The only way of the Vikings go anywhere is if they break Rodgers collarbone again. Their coach kind of shit on them and threw him under the bus at the tail end of last season and there have been Rumblings about that for a while.

And yes, Rogers is the difference between losing the championship game and ending up neck-and-neck with the Deadskins. It's a fucking travesty how much quarterback in town that fat fuck of a coach's had to work with for over a decade with barely anything to show for it. That dude should have been out of town on immediately after blowing a three-touchdown lead to Seattle in the championship but instead we've had to sit through a bunch of his other fuck UPS and no Back-up Plan to Rogers for another four to five years since that debacle.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
They went on a spending spree for future cap years and a couple picks for players that will almost certainly be better this year than the rookies they could have drafted after having a very strong year already.

They've upgraded the defense a huge amount almost any way you look at it and the offense is basically intact from last year.

Schedule should be more difficult but I like the Rams chances.

Predictions about how the NFL year will go are always pretty much doomed to fail, there are always injuries or surprise teams that upset the perceived order of things.