2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
They went on a spending spree for future cap years and a couple picks for players that will almost certainly be better this year than the rookies they could have drafted after having a very strong year already.

They've upgraded the defense a huge amount almost any way you look at it and the offense is basically intact from last year.

Schedule should be more difficult but I like the Rams chances.

Predictions about how the NFL year will go are always pretty much doomed to fail, there are always injuries or surprise teams that upset the perceived order of things.

The Rams have the most talent in the West. They also have a lot of personalities there. It could cause problems. If they can over come it they are the team go beat.

That being said I still think the Seahawks are going to be surprisngly competitive and might take the division.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The only way I see personalities causing problems this year is if they are losing and in that case you're right. I think they're too talented in all 3 phases to lose more games than they win, but injuries at a key position could derail that. I'd rather not imagine injuries though so fuck it!

I have a hard time seeing the Seachickens defense being good enough but you never know.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
The only way I see personalities causing problems this year is if they are losing and in that case you're right. I think they're too talented in all 3 phases to lose more games than they win, but injuries at a key position could derail that. I'd rather not imagine injuries though so fuck it!

I have a hard time seeing the Seachickens defense being good enough but you never know.

Yeah I think the Seahawks have to shift to an offense first team. Guess we will see if they were able too.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
In regards to paying a player, isn't there a good ceiling you can look at based on the Franchise Tag over 2-3 years? Basically, tagging a DT first year is 13.94M, second year is 20% increase, so its 16.73M, and then 3rd year is 44% increase over previous year, at 24.09M. Combined, thats 54.76M, or 18.25M/yr. So effectively, if you offer anything over that amount as a team, you're being silly, since even if Donald plays 0 snaps in those 3 seasons, his career is fucked because the Rams own his rights. They have all the leverage here.

Personally, I'd give him a 19M/yr contract over 5 years, and just guarantee 70M. It's over the 3 year average for tagging, and he sets the market for the position. And it seems like the Rams went more than that with 20M/yr over 4. So Donald is crazy, since they have all the leverage

I get it, everyone wants that QB money, but as a player you can't push past the boundaries of what a franchise tag would look like over 2 years, or even 3. Sure, paying a non-QB player 24M on their 3rd year is crazy, but it would be better to do that and have all of their leverage in negotiations

Every time you franchise someone, your leverage gets weaker. Franchising him twice pretty much guarantees he's leaving after 2 years, so it's a pretty awful long term strategy.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Every time you franchise someone, your leverage gets weaker. Franchising him twice pretty much guarantees he's leaving after 2 years, so it's a pretty awful long term strategy.

Not only that but you should only be franchising your elite until you can work out something new(the next year). Franchising Bell was iffy because the RB market was dead for years and they could hope for either a replacement or for him to cave. At the same time, he was an integral part of the offense. Donald is different. The DE market is always high and Donald has been the premier DE for the NFL the last few years. Sign him early, set the market and forget for the next 4-5. You definitely don't go wild on lesser talents like they've been doing unless you want him to move(as you said).

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
You only lose leverage if the team can't stomach a 3rd year tag. Jumping from the 16.73M to 24M is huge, but consider Donald is 27 years old and locking him up for 3 years after this season (since he's on his 5th year option) means he'll be 32 by the time that 3rd year tag is up. In 4 years who knows how good he will be - and over that 4 year period they will have paid him less than what he's demanding.

I'm aware tagging isn't ideal, but the threat of tagging, as well as how its structure, does put a ceiling on what you can reasonably pay a player. If he won't take a 4 yr 20M deal, then he's just overpricing himself out of a job

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I think its pretty clear the Steelers are going the Cowboys route with Murray. Use him up and let another team over pay him for his declining years.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think its pretty clear the Steelers are going the Cowboys route with Murray. Use him up and let another team over pay him for his declining years.

I definitely think that will be their thinking after his agent stating this will be his last year with the Steelers. It's essentially another contract year for him, so he's going to want to put up numbers, might as well let him put up big stats helping you win this year, so it's even more expensive for whoever else to sign him next year, too.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Not related directly to this year, but a good watch regardless. Imagine how great he could have been if he didn't have such a shit attitude.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Cardinals 2018 predictions:

Week 1 vs Redskins: Total blowout, we win like 73-2, Sam Bradford is super mega fucking elite best QB ever.
Week 2: vs Rams: Aaron Donald breaks Sam Bradfords neck on the 3rd snap of the game, ending his career.
Week 3-8: We put Mike Glennon in as the backup and he sucks, we lose 5 out of the next 6 games.
Week 9-15: Glennon sucks so we put our new shiny draft pick Josh Rosen in, he tears it up and we win 5 out of the next 6 games
Week 16 vs Rams: Aaron Donald breaks Josh Rosens neck on the 3rd snap of the game, ending his career.
Week 17: Fitz gets traded to the Pats so he can get a well deserved ring before he retires. Cards finish the season 7-9.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Cardinals 2018 predictions:

Week 1 vs Redskins: Total blowout, we win like 73-2, Sam Bradford is super mega fucking elite best QB ever.
Week 2: vs Rams: Aaron Donald breaks Sam Bradfords neck on the 3rd snap of the game, ending his career.
Week 3-8: We put Mike Glennon in as the backup and he sucks, we lose 5 out of the next 6 games.
Week 9-15: Glennon sucks so we put our new shiny draft pick Josh Rosen in, he tears it up and we win 5 out of the next 6 games
Week 16 vs Rams: Aaron Donald breaks Josh Rosens neck on the 3rd snap of the game, ending his career.
Week 17: Fitz gets traded to the Pats so he can get a well deserved ring before he retires. Cards finish the season 7-9.

I liked all of this but feel that Bradford will just trip and break his neck. He's the only QB I've ever seen miss almost half a season with ankle sprains.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Diehard Eagles fan here and I am very surprised at the very high predictions for this upcoming season.

So many clutch moments last season, if any of the 4th downs, miracle escapes, throws, etc...go wrong, they aren't super bowl champs.
They also had help... no Rodgers to contend with, fairly easy schedule, bad division.

On the plus... Eagles had a TON of injuries last season, so you'd assume they would return stronger.

But then you look at repeat champions.. it doesnt happen often. last time was 2004 & 2005 by the Pats.

So my prediction is Eagles make playoffs for sure as a 1 or 2 seed. As a fan of course I'll predict they win it all again, but realistically it's going to be very hard.

The NFC East still looks extremely weak, and very favorable for the Eagles... but the NFC looks very strong:
Eagles
Rams
Saints
Falcons
49rs werent much last season, but now a full season with Garropolo could be another story.
Green Bay if Rodgers comes back strong.

Depending on injuries in the NFL this year, it's looking to be a much tougher fight to the Superbowl, making it would mean being an even better team than in 2017.

We'll see