2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well that doesn't make much sense when all they did was move up 4 spots in the 7th round. Not really my idea of stockpiling picks.

Sounds like it really just came down to improving at Center, and Kilgore didn't want to move to Guard. Really hope they can find some O-Line help in the draft.

No I was speaking to the 49er team several years ago, and the stock piling of picks. Not the current team.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No I was speaking to the 49er team several years ago, and the stock piling of picks. Not the current team.
Sorry, I was actually replying to Kirun Kirun but forgot to quote him first. I just edited it in

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Even my 49ers are a shining example of how fast a team can change by chance, luck, circumstance etc.

They started 0-9 last year, had dismal QB play, and just weren't a good team (they did lose a record 5 straight games by 3 points or less, but still). They were literally competing with the Browns for worse team in the league monicker, fans were disillusioned.

Then Belichick calls, we get Garoppolo, finish 6-10, give him 140 million dollars, transform into a lucrative free agent magnet overnight, and suddenly fans and talking heads are discussing them as dark horse super bowl contenders, and Vegas has them at 20-1 odds to win it. (Their odds were 300-1 last year).

Only 3 other teams have better Vegas odds to win it all.

Its going to be glorious when you guys finish int he dumpster with my Seahawks. You seriously need to pump the breaks on this dark horse SB contenders shit

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Its going to be glorious when you guys finish int he dumpster with my Seahawks. You seriously need to pump the breaks on this dark horse SB contenders shit

Yeah, there are some things to be hopeful about, but Pumpernickle looked like a fucking world beater as well until more and more film got out on him. Don't get me wrong, Jimmy GQ looked fucking stellar, even with a roster barely better than a Texas HS, but all this Super Bowl talk is fucking ludicrous. You have the Rams, Vikings, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, and Eagles you have to get through in the NFC? Not to mention the tier below teams that are really fucking solid as well like Green Bay and Detroit. Fuck off with this Super Bowl bullshit..

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For the Rams it is.

Dark horse SB picks are....dark horses. No one believes that shit before the season.

But the 49ers were the hottest team by the end of the year, and we might have the best QB who's ever touched a football field.

In all seriousness though, I don't expect them to make any noise unless they have an amazing draft and the Rams and Eagles suffer from injuries.

I think the Vikings are going to be a worse team this year, Cousins is going to play like he always has, decent. Decent QB play wasn't even enough for them in the playoffs last year, what makes the next any different.

• 1Picard

Louis

Trakanon Raider
For the Rams it is.

Dark horse SB picks are....dark horses. No one believes that shit before the season.

But the 49ers were the hottest team by the end of the year, and we might have the best QB who's ever touched a football field.

In all seriousness though, I don't expect them to make any noise unless they have an amazing draft and the Rams and Eagles suffer from injuries.

I think the Vikings are going to be a worse team this year, Cousins is going to play like he always has, decent. Decent QB play wasn't even enough for them in the playoffs last year, what makes the next any different.

Dalvin Cook looked to be a substantial upgrade to their run game compared to the other 2 schmucks they made it to the conference championship game with. Still have to see how he comes back from that, but I see zero regression for the Vikings.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
barring injuries to Jimmy G, the 49ers will be a playoff team. record will be imo be ~11-5 (again barring injuries).

• 1Picard

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Niners just gave one of those shmucks 7 million dollars to carry the ball.

Also, all homerism aside, McKinnon's 4 seasons he has never been given the chance to feature. He was an understudy to Peterson before he left/was injured, and then went on to only start 14 games in 4 years.

He has never had more than 150 or so carries in a season, yet had FIFTY ONE receptions last year as a BACK UP. I don't think the Niners are going to make him an every down back, as they will draft RB help, but McKinnon could catch 75 passes this year and be a huge receiving threat.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hell it was what like 3-4 years ago it looked like the Niners were primed for a dynasty. They had just gone to a Super Bowl. Came a handful of yards away from a win. They had ridiculous amounts of draft picks stock piled. An injury here, and there, risky draft picks, early retirements, And a kneel down, and it all went to shit quickly.

They looked poised for a rebound. That division is looking crazy good right now.

It's still crazy to me how that team disintegrated. Sure, the QB was a flash in the pan running a gimmick offense that wasn't going to last, but the defense was legit and the O-line was one of the best in the league. When they lost the Superbowl I thought "No big deal, this team is going to be a contender for years". Then a year later it was over. I think part of it is probably the fact that Jim Harbaugh is a crazy person and he and Trent Baalke hated each other, but they had some pretty seriously bad luck as well.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Makes me believe less and less it was ever about whatever contracts we were offering at any point.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I get all the Cousins comments. I still am in favor of the Vikings going after him though. He's good, not great, but certainly the best FA QB and at least proven to be what he is. You have to expect some regression from Keenum and too much medical questions around Teddy and Bradford. I think when you have legit championship potential you gotta go for it. If they don't win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years, you can call it a failure, because after next year they have Barr/Kendricks/Diggs/Hunter/Easton needing to be resigned. I don't really give a shit about Barr, but the other 4 are certainly part of the young core of the team (Barr is too, he's just super overrated). They had a ton of cap going into this year but you have to expect they're going to be forced into some hard decisions down the line. No super bowl, it's going to be hard to see a couple of those guys go when they would have been easily signed without the Cousins deal.

Richardson is a baller signing though and puts this team in the running for best D line in the league. I didn't expect another splash like that and it's just a 1 year deal so doesn't hurt their future.

I won't say regression is impossible, simply because it's hard to go 13-3 in the NFL, but it won't be because of a decrease in talent. Call Cousins and Keenum's last season a wash if you want (there's no fucking way Keenum plays this year that well after a full year of starting play scouting on him though as well as Shurmur leaving). I think he's an upgrade but I can understand this argument. But Dalvin Cook is better than the RB core we put out there last year. They didn't lose anyone on D. Richardson makes them even better there. Kai Forbath will miss his share of extra points, but they were generally solid on special teams otherwise.

The team is still good and has to be in the Super Bowl discussion.