2019-2020 NHL Season Thread: Uber Missed the Blues Victory Parade Edition

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Best thing about worrying about falling asleep before all these stupid Cali times is all the Cali teams suck balls this year so I know I'm not missing much.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Thank god for Samsonov. Didn't have a great game tonight, but a not great game from him is equal to Holtby's ceiling at this point

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thank god for Samsonov. Didn't have a great game tonight, but a not great game from him is equal to Holtby's ceiling at this point

Mysteriously, didn't matter who is in goal, allowing a shortie...and chances against leads to goals. Fortunately we scored enough to cover tonight.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Mysteriously, didn't matter who is in goal, allowing a shortie...and chances against leads to goals. Fortunately we scored enough to cover tonight.

Of course it mattered who was in goal. Samsonov gave up 3 at 89%, applying Holtby's 80% would've resulted in the Caps giving up 6 instead. I said Samsonov had a not great game but his save % on the night was basically equal to Holtby's save % on the season (.893 vs .896)

Merrith

Of course it mattered who was in goal. Samsonov gave up 3 at 89%, applying Holtby's 80% would've resulted in the Caps giving up 6 instead. I said Samsonov had a not great game but his save % on the night was basically equal to Holtby's save % on the season (.893 vs .896)

I'm more just concerned that no matter what, our PP over the last couple months has been a leaky sieve allowing short-handed goals at a scary rate.

As for Sammy, I missed the actual game, I was assuming we hung him out to dry same way we do Holtby and that's why he gave up 3. Team has been lazy defensively lately.

Merrith

I mean, we could have just played Holtby if we wanted to let in those goals today. Missed some big chances, too.

Merrith

It's so great to see all these young guns starting to change the goal scoring race and new guys getting to 40 goals first...wait, what?

Fadaar

That guy
It's so great to see all these young guns starting to change the goal scoring race and new guys getting to 40 goals first...wait, what?

Highest goal scorers on the Lightning are Kuch and Stamkos and they're only at 24 each. They're #2 in the league in goals scored only behind the Caps (192 vs 197) so I guess it really isn't a bad thing, means the goal distribution is a little more even than last year and not quite as top heavy. Killorn having a career year really helps balance things out, he's been a beast.

Last edited:

Merrith

Highest goal scorers on the Lightning are Kuch and Stamkos and they're only at 24 each. They're #2 in the league in goals scored only behind the Caps (192 vs 197) so I guess it really isn't a bad thing, means the goal distribution is a little more even than last year and not quite as top heavy. Killorn having a career year really helps balance things out, he's been a beast.

It's weird because I feel our secondary scoring is pretty good this year in our top 6. Vrana is on pace for 35 (by far a career high), Oshie for 29, Kuznetsov 28 (would be a career high), and Wilson about 25 (would also be a career high). Carlson already has a career high I believe (crazy year by him), and Eller has a shot to reach his as well (13 currently, career best 18). It's probably because we lost Burakovsky and Connolly off our 3rd line and they put up 35 goals combined which Hagelin and Panik won't come close to matching. Although to say those two play better defensively than Bura or Conno is an understatement.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ovi just can't be shut down. Really rooting for the record but damn is it still a daunting task, even with how much of a savage this guy is.

Merrith

Ovi just can't be shut down. Really rooting for the record but damn is it still a daunting task, even with how much of a savage this guy is.

I've seen some math were he probably needs a couple of more seasons at 40+ still. At some point the drop off will come where he's just going to manage 30-35 a year. If he only has to do that for like 3 years, he's got a shot.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm fucking done watching Toronto for the year. They're just too good at disappointing. Fuck everyone of them. Tonnes of talent, no coaching, no goal tending.

I can't bear it any more. I'm going to watch Montreal with my wife for the rest of the year. We expect them to lose. It isn't heart breaking.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm fucking done watching Toronto for the year. They're just too good at disappointing. Fuck everyone of them. Tonnes of talent, no coaching, no goal tending.

I can't bear it any more. I'm going to watch Montreal with my wife for the rest of the year. We expect them to lose. It isn't heart breaking.

As a Canadian why not watch Edmonton or Vancouver? I'm not familiar with the politics of the North.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Frankly I feel like everyone should hope that Edmonton makes the playoffs. McDavid is too fucking good to not want to see him there. It's pretty fucking sad we haven't built up to where McDavid v. MacKinnon isn't the expected WCF (maybe not expected, but at least with two strong teams that will have a shot at getting there).

On the bright side, Edmonton's whole division is so shit then could get in this year and have as good a shot at beating anyone else in that division in a series. I feel like Vegas and Calgary should be better than they have been, but aren't.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, Calgary especially is a huge disappointment this year.

Yea to be fair though Calgary has had some god awful goal tending and defense. To see them still in a strong running for playoff spot while at -20 on the season says a lot to that.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yea to be fair though Calgary has had some god awful goal tending and defense. To see them still in a strong running for playoff spot while at -20 on the season says a lot to that.

Yes. This is true. Can you imagine that team with solid goal tending and defense? Why can't they get that to happen?