2019 NFL Offseason: Chargers Started Early

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think Jozu is actually an AI that collects things that were said on talk radio/espn/fan message boards and rearranges them into semi-coherent posts. They are a pretty good indication of the way the wind is blowing in the 49er fan community.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
There have been QBs on rookie contracts who had a winning record.

There have been plenty of QBs on rookie contracts who won a few games.

Almost all QBs on rookie contracts who have won a game.

movinggoalpost.gif

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
And Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl either. But you still haven't pointed out the last QB to win a Super Bowl while still on their rookie contract. (It's been a few years)

I'd assume it was Russell Wilson? Wasn't that long ago.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Technically Carson Wentz was a starting QB that won a Super Bowl on a QB contract. He just didn't start in the Super Bowl.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The only legit positive you can say about Dak is his low salary.

Literally every other talking point for him revolves around giving him credit for what his Oline, RB, and defense has done.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Good deal for Thomas. Don't think the Saints had much of a choice but also think it was the right choice.

While I don't think he's worth it, they really had no choice and someone had to be first among WRs for that contract. Brees doesn't have much of a window and I doubt Payton lasts much past that retirement date in NO. Might as well pay while you still are in that window.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Technically Carson Wentz was a starting QB that won a Super Bowl on a QB contract. He just didn't start in the Super Bowl.
Garappollo has 2 of those. Russ is the only recent starter. Was manning still on his rookie deal in 07? Otherwise its big ben in 05

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
While I don't think he's worth it, they really had no choice and someone had to be first among WRs for that contract. Brees doesn't have much of a window and I doubt Payton lasts much past that retirement date in NO. Might as well pay while you still are in that window.

I really think this is what they are thinking. Thomas is a great receiver for Brees but after he retires I don't think he will be worth it unless they find a similar QB to Brees.

Falcons late first rounder is having heart issues again and will be out 6 to 8 weeks after the procedure that he has had before. I work with his uncle and this family has been through hell so far and survived losing farm, 4 now 5 heart operations, death and new home burning down. I am sure he will get through this but we sure were counting on him competing and holding down the right side of the line.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Garappollo has 2 of those. Russ is the only recent starter. Was manning still on his rookie deal in 07? Otherwise its big ben in 05
Manning was on his rookie contract until 09.

In the past 20 years, the list of QB's who WON a Super Bowl (per the original measuring stick) are: Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, and Russell Wilson. There have been 10 different Super Bowl winning QB's in that time.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I know it's only the HoF game, but I'm still happy football is back.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I heard on the radio the Chargers offered him 10 million a year. He turned it down. I think its to much so hopefully they keep him and franchise him next year then maybe again and cut him loose in 2-3 years.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I heard on the radio the Chargers offered him 10 million a year. He turned it down. I think its to much so hopefully they keep him and franchise him next year then maybe again and cut him loose in 2-3 years.

Way too much. I'm hoping the owners are smart enough not to follow the NBA's lead. Players have way too much power there. This is a guy with one 1000 yard season and only one 16 game year under his belt. Great player but....replaceable, very replaceable.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
every year there are what...~700ish RB's eligible for the draft of which say a tenth are very good and maybe 1 in 100 are potentially great....a good running back, with a good qb. and especially a good offensive line, that RB can do 1000 yards rushing relatively easy provided they can hit the holes the line are opening up, if the RB can catch the Ball,,, Bonus, means he can be a 3 down back and catch screens or line up in the slot etc.

every Year there are ~70 really good -college- RB's available...why pay a max deal when you can potentially get a rookie as good as player X for 1/3rd the price for the next 4 years, and occasionally get a GREAT RB, even Better than what you have....for 1/3rd the price.

how many slightly older -great- RB's have won a superbowl while on a "max" contract? not that many.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I understand the problem with overpaying quarterbacks, then watching a superbowl team disintegrate trying to pay them (calling Joe Flacco). But the Raiders were without a decent Quarterback for over a decade after Gannon. Derek Carr might be over payed but he is a decent to good QB and if you want to play you have to pay. I would rather have him than what we had before.

Unfortunately, most QB's are perfectly willing to take the money and watch their team fail because you can't pay for any of the other positions. Not everyone cares more about winning (Brady).

A rookie QB is cheap but it takes a few years to learn the game. Someday a rookie QB will win the superbowl, but most rookie QB's suck and never make it in the NFL. If you only go the rookie QB route then that's a lot of losing records for the fans to stomach.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Way too much. I'm hoping the owners are smart enough not to follow the NBA's lead. Players have way too much power there. This is a guy with one 1000 yard season and only one 16 game year under his belt. Great player but....replaceable, very replaceable.

Not to derail. No. There might be 10 players who have too much power in the NBA. The rest...not so much.

Agree with you and everyone else. There is no way in hell you pay a running back big bucks any longer unless you are top 3, AND you have a shitty QB. Barkley if he was due, would come to mind. EE also.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users