2019 NFL Post Season Thread - Rams vs. Patriots for SuperBowl

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I like Belichick and I like the Patriots, especially because they’re Team Shitlord. But I don’t want another team tied with the Steelers for titles, so I have to go Rams here even though Sean McVay’s age makes me feel old and inadequate as a man.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Sorry. Florida teams get no respect.

Sad to see Brahma agree with Jozu. The whole fucking point the last time we hashed this out and from my list is positional value. You can have a nobody at RB get you 1k+ yards a season or do like the Pats and have a committee. Either way they get paid jack and produce relative to the likes of Barkley and Bell more then enough at 1/5th the pay. Which is used to pay actual irreplaceable players like edge rushers, o lineman, lock down CBs, and QBs. Who when all put together win you Superbowls. You aren't replacing Tom Brady with Brian Hoyer, or Brees with Brock Lobster and getting even comparative results. Matt Cassell took a team the went undefeated in the regular season and missed the playoffs the year Brady got injured.

Any RB could put up a monster season running behind the Cowboys oline of the last five years. Sure Zeke will get you a couple hundred more yards but he still has Dak fucking Prescott throwing the ball when the game is on the line and you need a touchdown now. Which more often then not means you aren't getting the touchdown. This is a pass centered league and nine times out of ten even Saquan the second coming Barkley isn't worth more then 1 or 2 wins over his journeyman replacement. Whereas Baker Mayfield took a team that had won one game in the last two years and had them in playoff contention going in to the last game. The same team that had all those draft picks and couldn't do anything because they were being quarterbacked by the likes of Brandon Weedon, Johnny Manziel, Brian Hoyer, Cody Kessler, and DeShone Kizer.

How about this. Should the Giants have taken Darnold? Allen? Rosen? or...Barkley? Mayfield was gone. None of those other QB's were hyped like Mayfield. Looking at their stats, they damn well shouldn't have been. Barkley was the best choice available, and he's proving that.

Do you normally take the QB? Yup. If you have the next 10 year workhorse available to you this draft though and no potential franchise QB's? You take the workhorse. What can it hurt? You're still going to suck. And if next draft you do land that QB, at least he can have SOME relief with a Barkley lvl RB.

It's rare that a top flight number one QB pans out on a bad team anyway...mostly because of line play, or bad coaching. Matter fact I can only think of two in the last decade. Luck and Newton? Manning if you go back far enough I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Most people had Darnold at 1, not Mayfield. This is some revisionist shit happening here. Mayfield also went to the team that had the most offensive pieces around him, all those other QBs went to teams with dogshit offenses. That said, Giants thought they could make a run with Eli, which obviously turned out to not be the case.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most people had Darnold at 1, not Mayfield. This is some revisionist shit happening here. Mayfield also went to the team that had the most offensive pieces around him, all those other QBs went to teams with dogshit offenses. That said, Giants thought they could make a run with Eli, which obviously turned out to not be the case.

The major reason why it's not the case is still their O line for me. Not that Eli wasn't a reason, but I'm not sure a rookie QB does that well there until they upgrade their O line significantly.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
The major reason why it's not the case is still their O line for me. Not that Eli wasn't a reason, but I'm not sure a rookie QB does that well there until they upgrade their O line significantly.
I'm not saying it was on Eli or anything, just that they thought they could make a run.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I'm wrong...but where did you guys get this concept that the Giants thought they were real contenders to make a super bowl run in 2018???

Beckham was coming off a lost season to injury, and they just fired their head coach, perhaps one of the worse coaches in modern history, and restored Manning as a starter to allow him to save face and give him another chance and see what happens.

There is no way that the Giants front office actually believed they had a shot at making a playoff run, nevermind a title run.

And finally, to put Brahmas point into crystallizing perspective, what if......the Giants took Darnold and the Jets took Barkley?

Look at the Jets season. An abject failure. Darnold was considered the number 1 QB option by many observers going into the draft. Obviously the Giants and Jets have different personnel, but you cant say that Darnold going to the Giants makes the Giants a better team. Maybe SLIGHTLY better? But not a winning team.

Same with Rosen in Arizona... but then if you reverse that line of thought and picture what Barkley could have done for a Jets team? He would have most likely thrived as the Jets offensive is heavily geared towards short passing and plays for RBs out of the backfield in the passing game.

Maybe Rosen will take a step forward when David Johnson returns, but we shall see. Either way I still dont think the Giants were wrong in taking Barkley at 2. They can get Kyler Murray this year and be a Houston-esque story but with a healthy OBJ and Saquan in the backfield....

Sterling

El Presidente
Most of the teams that took rookie QBs last season have serious issues on their lines and skill positions with maybe the exception of Baltimore, but Jackson was drafted somewhat as a project and was signifcantly later in the round and obviously they're a decent team to begin with. Cardinals do have a world class back if he's healthy but their line might be the worst of the bunch.

• 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, lets take a 5'8 QB instead of taking a QB from the good QB class the preceded it.

• 1Like

Jozu

You never know who is going to be good.

How tall is Russel Wilson again?

Sterling

El Presidente
Wilson is 5'11" and if you don't think 2 or 3 inches matter at that point I don't know what to tell you. It's possible it works out, but no QB that's 5'9" or shorter that has done shit in the NFL in the last 50 years or whatever. Hell even Flutie is taller than Murray, what the fuck.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
If some team wanted to take a chance with him with a pick out of the first round, or maybe a good team taking him at the end of the first round, maybe. But taking him near the top of the draft is insanity. Almost as dumb as taking a dude first overall because he shit on a garbage Notre Dame defense in the Sugar Bowl.

Jozu

Maybe Murrays height will prevent him from being effective, who else would they take in this years draft?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
If the Rams win then I might just straight up delete Uber Uberest Uber Uberest completely from the forum and purge his existence entirely.

Don't get us worked up over nothing....? Do you need donations or something to help make the decision?

I rarely agree with Jozu but I agree with him and Brahma. There are definitely many ways to get in the playoffs and then, who knows? Eli has been a shit QB 80% of his career. He, and his team by extension, were fortunate to have everything come together in a short timeframe. Same goes for Flacco. Garbage QB, but his team was good that one year. Dilfer, Johnson, Foles. All average at best QBs who rode a great team and some good fortune to a title. You need 4-5 blue chippers, a solid team overall, and the consistency week to week to get in the playoffs. Outside of the Pats, no one has a real advantage after that point.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This is the reason I wouldn't touch Murray at all. Guy sounds stupid, is being given bad advice, is not committing to the process, and already has MAJOR question marks. Someone will fuck this up massively. Browns would have been my first guess and Miami my second if Grier wasn't in charge. I guess Cincy?

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Haskins, Drew Lock, or the kid from Duke and that is about it for this class. All of them are rated far below the five QBs from last years class. So either the Giants hope that the first QB at or under 5'9 in half a century pans out or they take a sub par project this year. A lot of mocks have them running with Eli for one more year in order to get in on the Tua/Fromm/Patterson/Herbert/Costello class but that assumes they will have a top pick and not need to trade up. Even then you just wasted half of Barkley's rookie deal on lost seasons and he'll be looking for his payday, just ask Le'veon Bell how that went, when your young QB is hitting his stride.

You draft the generational running back when you had a lost year because your stud QB got hurt/got suspended or something else whacky happened. Otherwise you pick up a Sony Michel, Bell, or whoever as a late first round/second round pick when you already have other positions shored up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Pats 33-27, the Goat takes home another ring. Team Shitlord rides into the sunset again.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Haskins, Drew Lock, or the kid from Duke and that is about it for this class. All of them are rated far below the five QBs from last years class. So either the Giants hope that the first QB at or under 5'9 in half a century pans out or they take a sub par project this year. A lot of mocks have them running with Eli for one more year in order to get in on the Tua/Fromm/Patterson/Herbert/Costello class but that assumes they will have a top pick and not need to trade up. Even then you just wasted half of Barkley's rookie deal on lost seasons and he'll be looking for his payday, just ask Le'veon Bell how that went, when your young QB is hitting his stride.
This year's class isn't great. I think they're looking for next season, not sure what they do this year, maybe try to shore up the line and defense or something, but who knows, teams do some weird shit.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
This year's class isn't great. I think they're looking for next season, not sure what they do this year, maybe try to shore up the line and defense or something, but who knows, teams do some weird shit.

CB and Oline are most of the mocks for them.

zzeris zzeris I'd rather bank on having a top five QB to get me to and winning the big game then either hoping for a hot streak (Flacco/Foles) or having a top defense of all time winning the game for me (Dilfer/Johnson). The former being much more likely then the latter two.

• 1Solidarity