2019 NFL Post Season Thread - Rams vs. Patriots for SuperBowl

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How about this. Should the Giants have taken Darnold? Allen? Rosen? or...Barkley? Mayfield was gone. None of those other QB's were hyped like Mayfield. Looking at their stats, they damn well shouldn't have been. Barkley was the best choice available, and he's proving that.

Do you normally take the QB? Yup. If you have the next 10 year workhorse available to you this draft though and no potential franchise QB's? You take the workhorse. What can it hurt? You're still going to suck. And if next draft you do land that QB, at least he can have SOME relief with a Barkley lvl RB.

It's rare that a top flight number one QB pans out on a bad team anyway...mostly because of line play, or bad coaching. Matter fact I can only think of two in the last decade. Luck and Newton? Manning if you go back far enough I guess.

This is flat out wrong. Darnold , Allen, and Rosen were the top QB prospects. People were shocked Mayfield went #1. I was maybe the only person on this board saying he was going to be good. The media certainly did not prefer him. They all saw Darnold and Rosen as the sure thing.

Also sure they can draft a QB this year. What happens when he turns out to be a bust though and you missed out on the previous QBs that are going to be starters again next year because you got a fucking RB?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If Lock is there at 15...Redskins might take him. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, b/c he has arm talent and measureables...his main issue was accuracy if I recall. I'm still on board the just play McCoy and Johnson (or someone else) and tank this year, trade down out of the 1st and try to stock picks for 2020 draft. Get ammo to potentially move up (if needed) to get franchise QB then.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This is flat out wrong. Darnold , Allen, and Rosen were the top QB prospects. People were shocked Mayfield went #1. I was maybe the only person on this board saying he was going to be good. The media certainly did not prefer him. They all saw Darnold and Rosen as the sure thing.

Also sure they can draft a QB this year. What happens when he turns out to be a bust though and you missed out on the previous QBs that are going to be starters again next year because you got a fucking RB?

The hype was Darnold and Mayfield. I do remember. Especially after Mayfield's senior bowl.

You can't have the mentality of missing out on your QB during some draft. There will ALWAYS be a hyped QB down the line. I mean unless we are talking Pey Pey or Luck...

Merrith

Browns essentially traded out of spots that ended up Wentz and Watson...but still got Mayfield down the line.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The hype was Darnold and Mayfield. I do remember. Especially after Mayfield's senior bowl.

You can't have the mentality of missing out on your QB during some draft. There will ALWAYS be a hyped QB down the line. I mean unless we are talking Pey Pey or Luck...

Literally the first result.

This is also why if that 5'8 QB gets drafted in the first ill be shocked. They want QBs that are 6'4. Even despite their serious flaws.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
CB and Oline are most of the mocks for them.

zzeris zzeris I'd rather bank on having a top five QB to get me to and winning the big game then either hoping for a hot streak (Flacco/Foles) or having a top defense of all time winning the game for me (Dilfer/Johnson). The former being much more likely then the latter two.

Somewhat true, but there are very few elite QBs. Throw out Brady in all your examples because he's an aberration. 6 Superbowls were won by elite QBs in the last 18 years and 7 were won by non-elite QBs. Based off the team building efforts currently being used today, teams find it much easier to build a solid team, and then hope their QB gets lucky. Look at every young QB today outside of Mahomes. They all have significant flaws in their game. It's the team carrying them to success for the most part. Goff, Trubisky, Dak, Foles, Watson. All have talent but all are inconsistent.

Lets look at Wilson. He wasn't very good his first 3 years. He rode Lynch and that D to those Superbowls and they would have two rings if they had used Lynch one more time. Wilson is amazing now, and they didn't get in. Look at Luck. He stunk until they fixed his OL again. Suddenly, a QB who stays upright looks good. The league and it's rules are built to provide average QBs every advantage to succeed. It's far easier to get a good team with an average QB in the playoffs than to find that needle in the haystack elite QB. Then you have to balance his huge paycheck with building a team with enough talent that he doesn't pull a Felipe Rios or Dan Marino. Because both were elite QBs that still didn't get a ring(hope Rios gets one).

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You can't throw out Brady because it doesn't support your argument.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
You can't throw out Brady because it doesn't support your argument.

Ummm, so looking for your elite QB in the 6th round is the argument you want to go with? Are you sure about that? Or does it support my statement that finding an elite QB is mainly luck and it's far easier to build the team and maybe sometimes get lucky. Thanks for playing, try again.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ummm, so looking for your elite QB in the 6th round is the argument you want to go with? Are you sure about that? Or does it support my statement that finding an elite QB is mainly luck and it's far easier to build the team and maybe sometimes get lucky. Thanks for playing, try again.

LOL. My bad. You posted as I typed.

• 1Like

Merrith

To be fair, many of the 1st round QB picks in recent years have at least been decent to good/great. Goff/Wentz both look like good starters, wherever you feel like they land. Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield. Even Trubinsky to a degree has shown nice potential. While Mariota and Winston haven't really delivered on their draft status...frankly many teams could do worse.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, many of the 1st round QB picks in recent years have at least been decent to good/great. Goff/Wentz both look like good starters, wherever you feel like they land. Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield. Even Trubinsky to a degree has shown nice potential. While Mariota and Winston haven't really delivered on their draft status...frankly many teams could do worse.

Very true and the success rate with 1st round QBs is obviously higher and they are many times more talented. We are talking about finding elite QBs which is just a lucky roll of the dice. You get that 1st round QB, you build the team, and your chances to win are higher. But...but, if you've already build the team or sometimes get that later round QB that is good enough, you can still find success because you have built a strong team. No QB does well without a solid OL. None do well with average weapons. Even Brady has Gronk who is an exceptional talent. Had Moss for a while who was the same. It's so much more than finding that magical elite QB and riding them to 5 rings. The entire Patriots dynasty is an aberration that no one can duplicate. I just hope it ends soon.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So this will most likely be my last post until after the game, as I got a bunch of people coming over.

I see the Patriots winning this one 35-24. I really hope I am wrong and the Rams shit all over them, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think McVay will be able to outcoach Belichick.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All I know is seeing Malkovich ranting and raving at Peyton Manning over his gladiators idea was fucking hysterical.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yea that whole peyton manning intro was great. "I don't get my mail delivered at the Super Bowl like Brady".

SJW coke commercial? God damnit, Pepsi is nasty, though =/.

• 1Like