(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm starting to feel like I'm not going to make it to the end. I can tell I either need to stop doing 100% and not finish story, or just focus on the story and grind it out. I don't hate the game or anything and I would say it was worth the $15. I'm at 60hrs
I just... dont think the game is that enthralling to get 100% on. Everyone keeps saying the same thing "They could have done so much more with this setting". I finished the story and put the game down.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm enjoying the quests so far, main story and side quest...and I mean the quests that actually appear in the journal as quests, not the World Event stuff.

Now for the World Event quests if we call that are for the most part silly, but also so short that I don't mind them all that much.

I am going to get all wealth, mysteries and artifacts on each map as I just enjoy the running around getting all of these. I'll clear all the order members and zealots. I'll also complete everything in the settlement. This is my general play pattern on open world games.

I don't generally go for 100%(Platinum Trophy on games) completion, I only did it for 2 games AC:Odyssey and Ghost of Tsushima, and only reason I did those 2 is I was missing like 3 things when I was done with my playthrough and what I was missing was easy to get. It will be the same for this, if I am close to platinum and the thing I am missing are not hard I'll go for it, otherwise I'll pass.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Valderen, from what I have seen from your posts you are pretty fucking thorough with games lol.

Hats off to you sir.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
there are some world event quests that are short and simple, and are much more appropriate to the setting. one of them you stumble upon a small farm and a little girl is pleading with the last leaf on a tree not to fall. you go and talk to her and find that her father went to some some city far away to sell some wares or something, because the farm wasn't yielding much crops and he told his daughter that he'd be back before the last leaf fell from the tree. it's sort of a silly premise but the poor girl doesn't want her dad to be a liar. eivor tells her that worrying isn't going to do anything and that things will be okay regardless of whether or not the leaf falls.

it's not anything deep or overly heartwarming, but it was a nice little moment that didn't have weird humor mashed into it.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
First side quest since I've posted this (have been doing raids and main quest), and its a woman in a cage that wanted viper eggs so she could eat them and rip a giant fart. What the fuck is wrong with these people?
Wait till you get to the one where you've got to force a guy to take a fucking bath.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
there are some world event quests that are short and simple, and are much more appropriate to the setting. one of them you stumble upon a small farm and a little girl is pleading with the last leaf on a tree not to fall. you go and talk to her and find that her father went to some some city far away to sell some wares or something, because the farm wasn't yielding much crops and he told his daughter that he'd be back before the last leaf fell from the tree. it's sort of a silly premise but the poor girl doesn't want her dad to be a liar. eivor tells her that worrying isn't going to do anything and that things will be okay regardless of whether or not the leaf falls.

it's not anything deep or overly heartwarming, but it was a nice little moment that didn't have weird humor mashed into it.

Yeah, don't forget to mention that the way you complete this event to gain XP is you knock the last leaf off the tree.
So they didn't exactly stick the landing.

I thought maybe you were going to get a message to come back later, or offer her shelter at the settlement. Nope! Pull a dick move for XP.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, don't forget to mention that the way you complete this event to gain XP is you knock the last leaf off the tree.
So they didn't exactly stick the landing.

I thought maybe you were going to get a message to come back later, or offer her shelter at the settlement. Nope! Pull a dick move for XP.
yeah, but at the same time, soon as eivor knocks down the leaf, the little girl starts to cry, but then immediately pulls herself up and says, nothing left to do but get back to work.

it's a little bizarre, sure, but eivor's whole point was that worrying about the leaf is silly and ultimately unrelated to the father coming back. knocking the leaf down lets the little girl understand that. it's not how i would have solved that quest, but it's the only way TO solve it, so you're sort of stuck... but it's also way different than helping some dude make oxenefordscire sauce out of eels.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kind of like how the only way to resolve the conflict between two brothers who grow and sell barley is to throw a torch at their silo, which apparently contains a high-explosive strain of barley because the whole thing blows up. Then the fire spreads to the containers of napalm (I assume) placed conveniently next to their houses and they go up in flames as well. Or at least the roofs do, since "destruction" in the game is purely cosmetic. Anyway... in the end everyone is perfectly happy about all this, since apparently it's better to just destroy everything you own than agree upon a fair split.

Playing the side content makes me think Ubisoft got a bunch of purple hair gender studies majors and ex-Bioware Montreal rejects with terrible ideas of what humor is and no actual concept of human interactions and since they weren't qualified to do anything else they got tasked with writing "world events".

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

builds a little mini display to show how much Ubisoft games you've played the last 5 years

1605840026021.png

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Mine showed 70 hours playtime lol. Uh, ok... I've played at least 200+ hours of The Division 2, 120+ of Odyssey, and a decent amount of Valhalla so far. Cool idea though.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Playing the side content makes me think Ubisoft got a bunch of purple hair gender studies majors and ex-Bioware Montreal rejects with terrible ideas of what humor is and no actual concept of human interactions and since they weren't qualified to do anything else they got tasked with writing "world events".
Rofl, I wonder if working remotely caused some of this crap as well lol. I mean Ubi has some history with this but this game is something else with this type of humor.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoying this, even though I'm bad on a controller.

Using the bow with a mouse is sooo much easier.

Has anyone tried the hybrid mode on PS5? This should allow KB/mouse + controller.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
After about 15-20 hours of playing, I’m of the opinion that this game is a step back from Odyssey in most ways.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
After about 15-20 hours of playing, I’m of the opinion that this game is a step back from Odyssey in most ways.
Same here.
I do like that active skills are learned from books and you don't have to learn a bunch of new skills/rotations when you want to play around and respec the passive skills, but that's about it. That and the setting, I guess.

But all in all I think that Odyssey was better.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I liked the variety of loot and build options from Odyssey, so Valhalla is kind of a step down in that regard. I think it's a poor design decision to dumb down a games complexity to the level of a games journalist.

Daidraco

The thing I didnt like about the item system was the sets and the upgrade feature together. Upgrades were nice, but until I was just wallowing in upgrade materials.. I felt like switching gear would take me several steps backwards before I could level it up to where it was even or better. It was a while before I got the second tier upgrade material in bulk, and then it was even longer before I got Tungsten in bulk. Then, add in the tedium of having to go to every vendor you see just to buy Iron and/or leather in bulk.. ..

After I got my Thor set, which was already a pain in the ass - I just clocked out of looking at different gear, and between those two daggers with maxxed crit - I never died, so I was done with weapons as well.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Same here.
I do like that active skills are learned from books and you don't have to learn a bunch of new skills/rotations when you want to play around and respec the passive skills, but that's about it. That and the setting, I guess.

But all in all I think that Odyssey was better.
Even the setting IMO. I mean it’s still good but what I’ve seen so far just doesn’t compare Ancient Greece.

I do like the skill books a lot though, and the skill tree isn’t bad but feels pretty bloated. The Raid mechanic is better than the battlefield mechanic from Odyssey, but both suck so it’s a wash.

Daidraco

If it wasnt for the chests and doors that needed two people to open, I never would have used my horn. I just did not feel like my raiders were impactful. If you could have geared them up with gear and influenced their power level somehow.. that would have been way more fun. Like going through and purposefully putting mythic tier brigand gear on and purposefully waiting till night time to raid? Yes please. Instead, it just feels like barbie doll dress up.