(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I found myself getting really bored with it, so I just turned the difficulty all the way down and went YOLO in some cities that are 3x my level. I thought that would be fun for an hour, but I've put a few into it that way and it's pretty fun wading through a swarm of Saxons like the god of war. The game is just too shallow. Merchants, gear/loot, base building, the "raid" system, etc. All have the depth of a mud puddle. I want loot like Diablo/Borderlands, Base Building like Fallout and enemies/crusaders like Shadow of War's nemesis system.

I think $10-$20 is fine for this game. $60? Nah.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I found myself getting really bored with it, so I just turned the difficulty all the way down and went YOLO in some cities that are 3x my level. I thought that would be fun for an hour, but I've put a few into it that way and it's pretty fun wading through a swarm of Saxons like the god of war. The game is just too shallow. Merchants, gear/loot, base building, the "raid" system, etc. All have the depth of a mud puddle. I want loot like Diablo/Borderlands, Base Building like Fallout and enemies/crusaders like Shadow of War's nemesis system.

I think $10-$20 is fine for this game. $60? Nah.
Yeah me and you are on the same page... I do not like games where once you clear an area, you are done. I want to keep going back and farming for mats to do whatever: build bases, build gear, level etc. Origins and Odyssey struggled with depth too, but they weren't this bad. I did like the environmental puzzles, reminded me of BoTW, but BoTW did it much better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Also, what the fuck is the main quest? I thought that the missions from the Seer were the main quest, but I guess not?

Other than the seer quest, I don't have anything in my quest log other than the "Murder the order" or "Collect lots of artifacts" type quests.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Also, what the fuck is the main quest? I thought that the missions from the Seer were the main quest, but I guess not?

Other than the seer quest, I don't have anything in my quest log other than the "Murder the order" or "Collect lots of artifacts" type quests.

Go talk to Randvi in your Longhouse in your setttlement, and pick something from the map. You have to talk to Randvi after each region story arc to conclude it, and to pick up the next one.

• 1Worf

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
So now we need AC:Rome and AC:Japan. Because that’s what people actually want, look for 2-3 more settings nobody wants before they finally listen. Next entry is likely AC:goatfucker
I think we already had that. AC Rome was AC2(b), and was in Renaissance Rome. AC Japan is called Ghosts of Tsushima, and is way better than anything Ubi is gonna put out.

• 1Truth!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As an AC game I'd agree that it's the worst in the series. Even as a standalone Viking Simulator 2020 it'd be mediocre at best.

I wish I'd done the skill point sploit while it lasted so I could just plow through the rest as fast as possible.

• 1Truth!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think we already had that. AC Rome was AC2(b), and was in Renaissance Rome. AC Japan is called Ghosts of Tsushima, and is way better than anything Ubi is gonna put out.
Renaissance Rome really isn’t want I meant, was thinking more Ancient Rome, think gladiator.

And just because there’s GoT doesn’t mean there isn’t room for another open world samurai game.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
stop it neil patrick harris GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I will differ from the main line here: I Really Enjoy(tm) the game. I have about Edit: 50 hours in it so far and am working 100%ing my 3rd region. Now, perhaps I will get tired of it before I work through all of the regions but this is just different than AC: Odyssey, which was my first AC game in a long time (since the 2nd game, I think?). I loved and played the hell out of AC: Odyssey, with all the DLCs. I tried to go back and play AC: Origins, and it was OK, but not enough of the formula that I loved so much yet was in place. AC: Vahalla, though is clearly to my mind trying to be The Witcher 3. I am having a great time. Between the two, I think I like AC:Valhalla more, though (at least right now):

-I enjoy the combat with the stamina addition making it more of a tactical engagement, or at least with other factors to consider, including back attacks, prone enemies, etc.
-I think the ability/skill tree systems is an improvement,
-I enjoy upgrading the items rather than being buried in new ones but instead possibly searching out upgrades,
-I like the story missions, with each region being its own little mini campaign
-I enjoy the new additions to the game, the raiding mechanic, the settlement building, the overall setting in 9th Century England/Norway, etc.

Maybe I am the RPG player the core fanbase hates but the game lets you play however you want, to be honest I sneak when I want to and charge in when I want to.... if you want to be angry that it doesn't force you into certain playstyle, that's on you.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I basically abandoned the game. I was having fun but as soon as I got to the point where I parked behind the curtain, so to speak, I realized how shallow basically everything. I really wanted to like it and I can forgive a lot...

Certain things were just... Too jarring to ignore. Dag is the perfect example... Out in the field he's your best friend, telling stories, fighting right besides in raids... But as soon as you get back to ravensthorpe Everytime he opens his mouth he's complaining about you... Hes pissed that he has to go with you, he's calling you out for your decisions, purposely ignoring your commands... Wtf

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I will differ from the main line here: I Really Enjoy(tm) the game. I have about Edit: 50 hours in it so far and am working 100%ing my 3rd region. Now, perhaps I will get tired of it before I work through all of the regions but this is just different than AC: Odyssey, which was my first AC game in a long time (since the 2nd game, I think?). I loved and played the hell out of AC: Odyssey, with all the DLCs. I tried to go back and play AC: Origins, and it was OK, but not enough of the formula that I loved so much yet was in place. AC: Vahalla, though is clearly to my mind trying to be The Witcher 3. I am having a great time. Between the two, I think I like AC:Valhalla more, though (at least right now):

-I enjoy the combat with the stamina addition making it more of a tactical engagement, or at least with other factors to consider, including back attacks, prone enemies, etc.
-I think the ability/skill tree systems is an improvement,
-I enjoy upgrading the items rather than being buried in new ones but instead possibly searching out upgrades,
-I like the story missions, with each region being its own little mini campaign
-I enjoy the new additions to the game, the raiding mechanic, the settlement building, the overall setting in 9th Century England/Norway, etc.

Maybe I am the RPG player the core fanbase hates but the game lets you play however you want, to be honest I sneak when I want to and charge in when I want to.... if you want to be angry that it doesn't force you into certain playstyle, that's on you.

I'm with you, while I think in many ways, it's a step back from Odyssey, they added many things I do like a lot like the settlements and all the puzzles and I still think it's a great game.

I'm about 83 hours in and only at halfway point, putting anywhere from 2-3 hours each night, and more on the weekend. I'm still having a total blast and I am in no rush to finish the game.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont think anyone thinks the game is truly terrible. It's just that they could have done so much more with the setting. You could strip away 90% of the systems that they have in the game and it would make fuck all difference in how you play or complete the game.

• 1Truth!

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Definitely glad I waited for a sale. I’ll snag it for half off in 2 weeks.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont get why you guys just dont do the ubisoft thing for 15 bucks. Am I missing something?

• 1Solidarity

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I thought some of you were being autistic audiophiles regarding the sound, but sure enough I stumbled upon a quest last night where the voice sounded like it was recorded on a Zoom call in one of those underwater bubbles.

• 1Like