(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
128 hours in, only 1 more territory to conquer in England to finish that story part. Still have a few more things to do though after.

There are a few mysteries I didn’t do, mostly a few cairns that made me lose my patience.

Enjoying the story, it took a weird turn when going back to Norway, I’m wondering how that will turn out.

It’s also the Yule festival so I have few new quests to do related to that.

Probably another 10-20 hours I expect. I know I won’t platinum this one though as I looked at some of the achievement and there some stuff I have little interest in doing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Props to your stamina in this game. Once I got about 50 hours in, I was taxed out on doing much more than the story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Is this game worth getting? I want to get something to put my series x through its paces

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well finally finished it after 145 hours. I took a break to play Cyberpunk toward the end.

I enjoyed the game but overall preferred Odyssey.

Still the AC games hit a lot of what I enjoy from open work games. While I played this stealth and assassination, I will agree that it was not the optimal way to approach the game and that is a miss for an AC game.

I have the season pass so I’m looking forward to the DLC and extra content they’ll release.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Have they fixed the shitty sound yet?

Nope.

I'm absolutely slogging through this game. I'm 60 hours in and surely, please God, surely almost coming to the end. This game is just a notable step down from Odyssey. Way too many territories to "ally" with, and the real negative of this game is the combat. It feels like a chore, and it's not very satisfying. Odyssey felt a lot smoother and cleaner.

It's a looker though, such a gorgeous game. Just wish there was less filler. It's a solid game, but just too slow. Plus, the audio is just terrible.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Welp, I finished Cyberpunk and I'm almost done with Yakuza 7, Ys 7, and Fenyx Rising (been bouncing between them for the past month). Think I'll get back to this next. I left off midway through, with a few territories in England conquered. What I'm reading has me pretty worried though. Why did they think it'd be a good idea to take Odyssey's one real negative (the fact that it was too drawn-out and really dragged) and turn it up to 11?

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Welp, I finished Cyberpunk and I'm almost done with Yakuza 7, Ys 7, and Fenyx Rising (been bouncing between them for the past month). Think I'll get back to this next. I left off midway through, with a few territories in England conquered. What I'm reading has me pretty worried though. Why did they think it'd be a good idea to take Odyssey's one real negative (the fact that it was too drawn-out and really dragged) and turn it up to 11?
Origins had the right map size to me. Not too small or huge like Odyssey had. Bigger maps don't make it better.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was really hoping this would be good but the general consensus is a meh it seems.

Nothing is worse than going from enjoying a game and then just wishing it was over due to slogging through quests.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So, uh, how...

What's even the "main storyline" I figured it was killing all the Order members? Can't seem to find out what I all need to do to "beat the game". Just super questionable, retarded game progression choices late in the game. I'd like to have some concept of what I should do, other than "everything".

edit: apparently you have to finish all the territory arcs... Jesus fuck.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
15 or so hours into this and man, I don't know if I can do it. I love the England setting, and the visuals are stunning on PS5. However the gameplay is super-repetitive and the battle controls just feel sluggish. I'm not particularly interested in the main character or his band of immigrants.

It's a good thing to play while watching something else, so I've been using it to get caught up on some videos on Youtube and Masterclass.

I can't entirely explain it...it just makes me want to go to sleep. Between the redundancy and the long runtime, nothing I'm doing feels important or special or worth enjoying in the moment, if that makes sense. It also doesn't feel anything like an Assassin's Creed game.

Originally I planned to run this in December after I was done with Demon's Souls and Miles Morales, but I ended up doing Cyberpunk, Yakuza, and Fenyx Rising first. There are a bunch of things I want to play on the way in February, plus I have some other new games to check out, so now it feels like I'm just crunching Valhalla in rather than giving it time to breathe. That may be contributing to the lack of enjoyment, I don't know.

I'll keep at it, but at this rate it feels like it'll end up being easily my least-favorite AC game.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I finally finished this.

If Odyssey is an 8.75 or 9 out of 10, Valhalla is a 7.5/10. I was satisfied enough with the ending, and some later territory stories were solid... It was just too long of a game. 20 hours less and it would've been better. Combat was meh until I finally started using a Dane axe.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I finally finished this.

If Odyssey is an 8.75 or 9 out of 10, Valhalla is a 7.5/10. I was satisfied enough with the ending, and some later territory stories were solid... It was just too long of a game. 20 hours less and it would've been better. Combat was meh until I finally started using a Dane axe.

What would you rate Origins on that scale?

I've been using the starter axes the whole time since I haven't found anything better. However I just learned the skill for dual-wielding two-handers + increased greatsword damage. Now I just need to find two greatswords. I bet I'll like the game a lot more at that point.

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What would you rate Origins on that scale?

I've been using the starter axes the whole time since I haven't found anything better. However I just learned the skill for dual-wielding two-handers + increased greatsword damage. Now I just need to find two greatswords. I bet I'll like the game a lot more at that point.
I did not find any 2 handers until I was around power level 70 or something. Got that dual wield skill just before I went to Cyberpunk so never actually played with the 2 handers. Going to resume my playthrough today though.

eivor.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I did not find any 2 handers until I was around power level 70 or something. Got that dual wield skill just before I went to Cyberpunk so never actually played with the 2 handers. Going to resume my playthrough today though.

View attachment 332046

You can get one two-hander from one of the town merchants (Ravensthorpe, merchant upgraded to L2) if it's an upgrade:

1612039144413.png

I'm still looking for a second one. Missed my chance to get that really good spear in Norway cause I'm in Britain now.

Not sure how far along I am with the game. Guides make it look like I'm only like 10-15% of the way in, but I've been in Britain for like ten hours now.

Windmilking is the only way to play.

What's windmilking?

• 1Like