(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
What would you rate Origins on that scale?

I've been using the starter axes the whole time since I haven't found anything better. However I just learned the skill for dual-wielding two-handers + increased greatsword damage. Now I just need to find two greatswords. I bet I'll like the game a lot more at that point.
I didn't play Origins. But what I consistently heard from others was, "Origins is a cool world, but not exactly a good/fun game. Odyssey is just an all-around better game".

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
A joke about a typo a few posts above.
But really, dual 2 handers is game changing op.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can get one two-hander from one of the town merchants (Ravensthorpe, merchant upgraded to L2) if it's an upgrade:

View attachment 332106
I'm still looking for a second one. Missed my chance to get that really good spear in Norway cause I'm in Britain now.

Not sure how far along I am with the game. Guides make it look like I'm only like 10-15% of the way in, but I've been in Britain for like ten hours now.

What's windmilking?
You can go back to Norway soon enough. Getting the arrow skill that blows up walls ASAP will speed you up tremendously believe it or not.

Also, you can seek out different 2 handed weapons. Weapon List.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
With dual 2 handers you can smash down bared doors
Huge benefit

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright, I'll go for the arrow skill that blows up walls. Also the Bear skill bonuses since those affect 2H if I'm understanding the game right. Is the dual 2-hander smash down barred doors thing a skill as well, or just a passive bonus?

Looking at the list Daidraco posted, I see another greatsword that I can get to pretty easily. Gonna go straight for that once I get on the game tonight.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I didn't play Origins. But what I consistently heard from others here was, "Origins is a cool world, but not the most fun game. Odyssey is just all-around a better game.
Origins for me was my favorite world and I’m a huge Greek history fan. It could be that it was the first game I played on big bad ass 4k monitor hdr at the time. I remember just staring off into the distance on top of a pyramid.

the story was terrible due to Bayek’s cunt wife but I liked Bayek.

odessey just had everything better good by for it.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Origins for me was my favorite world and I’m a huge Greek history fan. It could be that it was the first game I played on big bad ass 4k monitor hdr at the time. I remember just staring off into the distance on top of a pyramid.

the story was terrible due to Bayek’s cunt wife but I liked Bayek.

odessey just had everything better good by for it.
They had the right systems in place for Origins but it wasn't refined enough until Odyssey. I tried to play Origins after playing Odyssey as my first AC game in forever and it was just too much of a step back. It was all there but just wasn't as much fun. I keep meaning to go back and finish Valhalla but haven't yet. I really liked it, seemingly more than most people but switched over to Cyberpunk when it came out and haven't gotten into playing much of anything after Christmas. I can't even bring myself to finish Cyberpunk after ramping up for and almost getting to the Suicide mission ending.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They had the right systems in place for Origins but it wasn't refined enough until Odyssey. I tried to play Origins after playing Odyssey as my first AC game in forever and it was just too much of a step back. It was all there but just wasn't as much fun. I keep meaning to go back and finish Valhalla but haven't yet. I really liked it, seemingly more than most people but switched over to Cyberpunk when it came out and haven't gotten into playing much of anything after Christmas. I can't even bring myself to finish Cyberpunk after ramping up for and almost getting to the Suicide mission ending.
Yeah odessey seems to be it. After reading so much about Valhalla l think I’ll pass for a while

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah odessey seems to be it. After reading so much about Valhalla l think I’ll pass for a while

Not a bad idea. This seems like something to play when you're hankering for an AC game and have nothing else to play for a couple weeks. ...if that ever happens. So far I'm also finding it to be the least AC-like AC that I've played, and it has more in common with Witcher 3. Which isn't the worst game to rip off. Still, assassination is de-emphasized here compared to past games.

I'd love to see what they could do with a more traditional Ezio-like setting and the new style of Big AC.

I'm powering through it in any case. Got my two greatswords and I'm spin-attacking everything.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a second 2 hander from the merchant to switch out the 2 handed axe I had. Now I cant windmilk like before by pressing Q, I just rush istead.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not a bad idea. This seems like something to play when you're hankering for an AC game and have nothing else to play for a couple weeks. ...if that ever happens. So far I'm also finding it to be the least AC-like AC that I've played, and it has more in common with Witcher 3. Which isn't the worst game to rip off. Still, assassination is de-emphasized here compared to past games.

I'd love to see what they could do with a more traditional Ezio-like setting and the new style of Big AC.

I'm powering through it in any case. Got my two greatswords and I'm spin-attacking everything.
I get what they were trying to go for in a sense - "how do you blend an AC game into a Viking setting?" Dive should have been a quest you got in the first 10 minutes, not 15 hours. Assassination kills should be baseline, not a talent or skill choice. etc. etc. I could pick this game apart, but in summary.. its still a game that I had fun playing enough to finish the entire campaign. It could have been way better and shorter, however.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Now that I have two greatswords, this looks even more like a Witcher 3 clone. Ubisoft has really been lacking in originality the last few years eh? Fenyx Rising is a BOTW clone, and AC Odyssey ripped off a bunch of Marvel movies (and Star Wars Ep 8).

Rude

Potato del Grande
Assassin's Creed went to shit years ago. Unity really was the beginning of the end of it. Not sure why they don't just give it some "CoD" type name and specify in the sub text what type of game they're ripping off.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
In a nutshell:

Blackflag was awesome
Unity Sucked
Syndicate Sucked
Rogue - Reskin of Blackflag - more blackflag in snow - Pretty good
Origins: Was medicore.
Odyssey and all DLC - Fucking awesome
Valhalla - Wasted Opportunity - sucks that it sucks :(

Shining Light at the end of the tunnel - Fenix - great game

In the end what we need is a new Splinter Cell with Pandora tomorrow multiplayer.

The end :p

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Now that I have two greatswords, this looks even more like a Witcher 3 clone. Ubisoft has really been lacking in originality the last few years eh? Fenyx Rising is a BOTW clone, and AC Odyssey ripped off a bunch of Marvel movies (and Star Wars Ep 8).

I get the Fenyx Rising thing, but how the fuck does a video game rip off a movie?

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I get the Fenyx Rising thing, but how the fuck does a video game rip off a movie?

A bunch of the costumes were clearly based on like, Iron Man or Wonder Woman, one of the characters looked like Aquaman, the title image for the first DLC looked exactly like the Episode 8 poster...

I mean none of this even came off like they were paying tongue-in-cheek tribute to pop culture, they just came off like the devs didn't have any original ideas so they had to rip off the zeitgeist. And after seeing how derivative Fenyx and Valhalla are, I'd say that did indeed turn out to be the case.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You can go back to Norway soon enough. Getting the arrow skill that blows up walls ASAP will speed you up tremendously believe it or not.

Also, you can seek out different 2 handed weapons. Weapon List.

With dual 2 handers you can smash down bared doors
Huge benefit

Where are these abilities? The arrow skill that blows up walls, and the smash down barred doors skill. I can't find them anywhere in the skill tree. I've got a ton of ability points piled up (at least 20) since I haven't spent any since I got Dual Wield 2-Handers. Are they from books of knowledge? I'd look 'em up but I don't know their names.

Just saw the wedding of Oswald, no clue how far along I am. 20 hours on the clock. I'm more or less speedrunning. It's a relaxing game at least, doesn't really ask much of the player.

• 1Like