2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If the Panthers are offering 3 1st round picks and their entire offense for Watson then the 49ers have no chance at getting him.

I wouldnt even want to give up 3 1sts and our best player for him (Kittle in the 49ers case).

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
If the Panthers are offering 3 1st round picks and their entire offense for Watson then the 49ers have no chance at getting him.

I wouldnt even want to give up 3 1sts and our best player for him (Kittle in the 49ers case).
I would happily give up 3 1sts plus Armstead for him

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
If the Texans get 3 firsts, they should do it.

Screenshot_20210220-140541_Chrome.jpg

They have a shit draft coming up as well. And will easily vie for a top pick this year if they moved Watson.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The later on in the offseason it gets the more unlikely a trade becomes. Although in some situations the closer deadline puts pressure on teams, but the Texans have absolutely zero reason to move on from Watson besides him being a total dick the entire time hes there. He still has to play. Although they blew it up so bad already they mine as well just trade him and get something for him, as you know they arent winning this year or next.

Him faking an injury is a real possibility. That would normally be the concern. BUT they suck anyway, so even that's a win!

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Whats weird to me is the reports of the Broncos and Panthers wanting to make a run at him IF he becomes available. Panthers are rumored to be ready to offer 3 firsts + McCaffrey as a start. People say Watson won't sit out but he certainly was aware of that going in to this so I don't think it is outside the realm of it happening.

That would be silly for the Texans NOT to take that deal. Trade McCaffery for a couple more picks! Start the rebuilding process off right.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I will spell this out one last time.

T H E D E A D M O N E Y C A P H I T I F W A T S O N I S T R A D E D D O E S N T A L L O W T H E T E X A N S A N Y R E L I E F T O T A K E O A D D I T I O N A L P L A Y E R S.

Get it through you fucking skulls. He is impossible to trade because how the salary cap works, the decrease in the overall cap for the upcoming season, and no one is going to mortgage their short and long term future just to end up in a deeper hole before the trade.

• 3Cutler
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Adding a space between every letter made that so much easier to read, I'm sure people will definitely get the point now. You also forgot an O.

• 4Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, there's no precedence of anyone trading a player and eating a giant dead money hit for a season.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Next you're going to say a shitty team would take a one year 33.8 million cap hit with even worse draft compensation just to jumpstart their rebuild with a clean slate. Get out of here with that shit.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

T H E D E A D M O N E Y C A P H I T I F W A T S O N I S T R A D E D D O E S N T A L L O W T H E T E X A N S A N Y R E L I E F T O T A K E O A D D I T I O N A L P L A Y E R S.

Get it through you fucking skulls. He is impossible to trade because how the salary cap works, the decrease in the overall cap for the upcoming season, and no one is going to mortgage their short and long term future just to end up in a deeper hole before the trade.
Bullshit.

How many Tucobucks would you like to bet? You realize Watson doesnt even fucking turn 26 until the season has already started?

Yea. No fucking way a team would sacrifice a year for a possible 10+ year career starting top 5 HoF QB

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Everyone has an opinion but the term hall of famer gets thrown around so easily anymore, if everyone's a hall of famer no one is a hall of famer.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Does this include calculations like rollover cap from last year? A lot of places I'm seeing after releasing Watt the Texans have something like ~5-10M in cap space. Trading Watson only incurs an extra $5M and change to this year's cap. Releasing David Johnson would save $6M or so, as well. That's just the most obvious move i can think of.

Obviously they'd have to be able to pay another QB, and afford all potential rookie contracts...but to say it's impossible doesn't sound correct.

Houston Texans 2021 Salary Cap

Over the cap currently has it listed as Texans having $5.8M in cap space, so I'm not sure where the discrepancy is between the two. Maybe the reported minimum increase this past week?

• 3Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone has an opinion but the term hall of famer gets thrown around so easily anymore, if everyone's a hall of famer no one is a hall of famer.
Relax kemosabi. The word "possible" was the important one. To illustrate and compare vs HoF QBs already inducted:

Deshaun Watson is only 25. He has played a little less than three and a half seasons.

14.5k passing yards in 53 starts. In 68 starts (an entire extra season) John Elway had 14,835 yards
67.8% completion rate (John Elway entered the HoF with a mighty 56.9%)
104-36 td-int ratio (almost 3 to 1) (Elway entered with 300 td to 226 int)
Adding in rushing stats its another 17 tds and 1,677 rushing yards (insane)
104.5 passer rating (Montana had a 92.3 rating, Steve Young 96.8 for comparison)

If you project that out not withstanding some catastrophic injury, dude will be a 1st ballot HoF QB. That said, they do I think need to be a little more like the baseball side (minus political BS) with regard to who gets in the Hall. It's ok to just not have a bunch of dudes enter every year, Jack Lambert said this as well in a recent interview.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Does this include calculations like rollover cap from last year? A lot of places I'm seeing after releasing Watt the Texans have something like ~5-10M in cap space. Trading Watson only incurs an extra $5M and change to this year's cap. Releasing David Johnson would save $6M or so, as well. That's just the most obvious move i can think of.

Obviously they'd have to be able to pay another QB, and afford all potential rookie contracts...but to say it's impossible doesn't sound correct.

Houston Texans 2021 Salary Cap

Over the cap currently has it listed as Texans having $5.8M in cap space, so I'm not sure where the discrepancy is between the two. Maybe the reported minimum increase this past week?
Thank you for proving my point. That is $5.8m before draft picks, signing udfa and other street free agents. Teams also keep a bit of a cushion just in case signings due to the attrition of injuries.

You sir get a thumbs up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thank you for proving my point. That is $5.8m before draft picks, signing udfa and other street free agents. Teams also keep a bit of a cushion just in case signings due to the attrition of injuries.

You sir get a thumbs up.

Well sportstrac or whatever is saying over $10M in space. Plus like I mentioned with moves like cutting David Johnson to create another $6M in room. I'm sure there are other moves that could be made if necessary where it is entirely possible to do it. I mean, if you're trading Watson, it's full rebuild anyways.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Well sportstrac or whatever is saying over $10M in space. Plus like I mentioned with moves like cutting David Johnson to create another $6M in room. I'm sure there are other moves that could be made if necessary where it is entirely possible to do it. I mean, if you're trading Watson, it's full rebuild anyways.
Again, assuming you do that and you do get a butt load of picks (which also mean you have to pay 1st round and 2nd round slot, thus more money hitting the cap) and a possible player in return, there is not enough money under the cap for them to maneuver.

Dont get me wrong, I still hate the Texans until Easterby is fired. Also I still haven't picked a team going forward until that day comes. Kinda leaning Saints or Packers..... idk.

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean every HoF has some borderline players in them. Joe Dumars and Harold Baines are in the Basketball and MLB HoFs.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Comparing Elway to Watson is retarded though. Completely different game. The point is solid that Watson is a 1st ballot pick.

Your earlier point about Brady dominating Pitt and realistically dominating any AFC division on the way to his Super Bowls is also on point. I always hated watching Brady raw dog Pitt as Tomlin seemed lost every single time.

• 1Worf

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im blown away by John Elway's 56.9 career completion %

It almost seems like a joke, but its not.

Sterling

El Presidente
Im blown away by John Elway's 56.9 career completion %

It almost seems like a joke, but its not.
Eras are different. People like to hype up some QB seasons recently, but to break the single season yardage and TD records by the same percentage Marino did in 84 someone would need 5799 yards and 73 TDs.

• 3Like