2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
Yeaahhhh, no on the Derrick Henry train. Dude is a beast for sure but his inability to be a receiving threat takes him out of the top 5, maybe top 10 of RBs. I’d take Sanders, OJ, AP, LT, Faulk, Edgerrin James and probably some others, like a prime Le’Veon Bell, that I’m forgetting.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sir, this is the FOH NFL thread. Where if your team isn't playing against Brady in the Super Bowl, then they need to blow it all up and start over.
I guess I should just make this my sig and refer each post to it in this thread, forgot where we are. Sorry bros.

JJ to Tampa/KC.

And idk why I thought JuJu was a rfa, well he gone. Id still be happy with 2 out of 3 of an OT/OG/RB

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Currently the only question about the greatest RB ever is whether it's OJ or Barry. Barry had a 2k season and was a walking highlight reel for basically his entire career, but OJ got his in a 14 game season and still holds the YPG record almost 50 years later.
Smooth brained as fuck. Barry.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Jim Brown and OJ were ridiculous in their eras. Jim Brown was like linebacker sized and the fastest dude on the field. Shit's dumb. Imagine if Henry was as fast as Mostert. Lol. OJ averaged 6 yards a carry in his 2003 yard season. Just stupid.

• 1Solidarity

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These arguments always end up leading to nowhere imo because everything has to be kept in perspective and its impossible to compare across generations.

Anything before the last 20 years is hard to even put in perspective because of rules changes, evolving offenses, strength and conditioning, nutrition etc, not to mention massive steroid use that went undetected in those earlier decades(Hi 227lb Bo Jackson that ran a 4.13.. Seems legit! Bo knows testosterone?). Then you also have to consider this isnt tennis in a vacuum since there are 10 other guys out there on offense too and even a great defense can inflate an offensive players numbers (who can get you the ball back more if they're good). Would Steve Young be shit all today if he had never left the creamsicle Bucs team he was supposed to play for in 84 and had a career stuck with those players instead of the 49er legends? Now the front office comes into play....so much of it is dumb luck.

I remember one of the Steel Curtain teams talking about how the night before the Super Bowl (that they won btw) they were out at bars getting drunk and smoking cigarettes cigars and shit in the wee hours of the morning before the game. 99% of those guys wouldn't even make the 53 man rosters of NFL teams in this day and age if you had a time machine to put them in 2020 -- hell prolly not even the practice squad. You'd have the top guys with dad bods in the 70s vs freaks of fucking nature like DK Metcalf.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
These arguments always end up leading to nowhere imo because everything has to be kept in perspective and its impossible to compare across generations.

Anything before the last 20 years is hard to even put in perspective because of rules changes, evolving offenses, strength and conditioning, nutrition etc, not to mention massive steroid use that went undetected in those earlier decades(Hi 227lb Bo Jackson that ran a 4.13.. Seems legit! Bo knows testosterone?). Then you also have to consider this isnt tennis in a vacuum since there are 10 other guys out there on offense too and even a great defense can inflate an offensive players numbers (who can get you the ball back more if they're good). Would Steve Young be shit all today if he had never left the creamsicle Bucs team he was supposed to play for in 84 and had a career stuck with those players instead of the 49er legends? Now the front office comes into play....so much of it is dumb luck.

I remember one of the Steel Curtain teams talking about how the night before the Super Bowl (that they won btw) they were out at bars getting drunk and smoking cigarettes cigars and shit in the wee hours of the morning before the game. 99% of those guys wouldn't even make the 53 man rosters of NFL teams in this day and age if you had a time machine to put them in 2020 -- hell prolly not even the practice squad. You'd have the top guys with dad bods in the 70s vs freaks of fucking nature like DK Metcalf.
Yeah that's kind of why most of these kinds of things end up being about how much someone dominated an era. If you're talking about the literal best it'll pretty much be a recent/current player because of a million different reasons. Ted Williams was a badass, but he also wasn't hitting a Verlander 102 MPH fastball with 2600 spinrate.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is Derrick Henry a better overall RB than Zeke Elliot? Obviously he has been the last 2 years, but I keep looking at Zekes contract and im blown away by the Cowboys' decision. The next best RB is probably Dalvin Cook. Then you have Kamara, McCaffery, Barkley and Chubb.

If Henry has another season like the last 2 he will catapult himself into HoF contention IMO. Its just sad how RBs arent going to get paid, especially after the Zeke contract. Im glad the 49ers didnt budge and give Mostert a big contract like he initially wanted. He hasnt been able to stay healthy.

I always have to separate fantasy and non fantasy with the RB's, also really depends how much you want to throw in receiving ability. Obviously guys like CMC and Kamara shoot up in value if we include that, and guys like Cook and Barkley get a bit of a boost over those like Henry and Chubb who are mainly just pound it on the ground guys. They're all fucking studs, though. Jonathan Taylor probably breaks into that elite group next year, and people still sleep on Aaron Jones a little I think. If Cleveland didn't also have Hunt, I think Chubb could challenge Henry for the rushing title.

I'll be curious to see if Zeke can have a bounce back year next year, and whether guys like CEH, Dobbins, and James Robinson can maintain/improve their spots. Ekeler is a weird one, b/c I'm not sure he can take the full time work load and stay healthy. They were doing a weird split at the end of the year, too, so tough to know how that backfield breaks down going into next year with new coach and all that. Lot of other "potential" guys like Gaskins in Miami, Gibson in Washington, Jacobs with the Raiders.

Shit I expect Tampa to end up convincing Fournette to stay so they have him and Rojo in that backfield...but if it was just one or the other there, I think either guy could put up some good numbers. Rojo led the league in rushing for October when Fournette was hurt, but I also think Fournette is much better as a receiver than Rojo is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
It's weird I think of Fournette as being in the league a long time but he's only been in 1 year longer than Jones. Rojo got in the dog house early and didn't really get to shine until this season.

Merrith

It's weird I think of Fournette as being in the league a long time but he's only been in 1 year longer than Jones. Rojo got in the dog house early and didn't really get to shine until this season.

I'm still annoyed Tampa signed Fournette in the first place, was a couple of days after my fantasy draft and I got Rojo in the 6th round...was looking to be a steal.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
In terms of who the Bucs are projected to draft? My guess would be D-line or RB.

Rojo isn’t good enough to be a primary back because he can’t catch and is dogshit at pass protection.

I think D-line makes sense because even if we do resign Shaq, JPP is getting up there in age and you’ll likely need to spend multiple picks over the next few drafts to hit on a great pass rusher

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
In terms of who the Bucs are projected to draft? My guess would be D-line or RB.

Rojo isn’t good enough to be a primary back because he can’t catch and is dogshit at pass protection.

I think D-line makes sense because even if we do resign Shaq, JPP is getting up there in age and you’ll likely need to spend multiple picks over the next few drafts to hit on a great pass rusher

I checked around after my post the day other, pretty much every mock had them taking a DT. I can see it unless there's an edge rusher that Licht and co have their eyes on.

Merrith

Rojo got better as pass protection, although I agree he isn't the best pass catcher out of the backfield. If they keep Fournette they should be fine and not draft a RB with their 1st.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
149306474_921056272000367_4500424999220083669_o.jpg

• 11Worf
  • 1Splash the Pot
Reactions: 11 users

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Football is absolutely a team sport that being said imagine how may players won a SB playing with TB, more players won 1 than lost 1 by a fucking lot.

• 1Like

Merrith

Uuuugghhhh.....please no. Make it stop.

Can't figure this out, first we hear Chicago, then Indy with an actual list of their offer (two 2nd's, a future 3rd or 4th), now they're saying Chicago has the best offer. Be real curious to know if Chicago is up to a 1st plus more.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's bound to be philly paying these guys to "report" bullshit after reading what the colts offer was. It didn't make sense the first time and certainly doesn't now either