2022 NFL Offseason Thread: Looking forward Tua better future!

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I think it's nepotism. Mike Shanahan brings in Gary Kubiak. K brings in Kyle Shanahan, LaFleur, McVay, etc. And they bring in their friends and contacts and so on and so forth.

If you played pro ball or coached in the pros you have money, which means you are going to live in an affluent area. Your kids aren't going to grow up around a lot of minorities in that case. I bet there are longtime NFL staff that knew someone like Kyle Shanahan when he was just a kid, sitting up in the owner's booth during games, hanging out at the practice facility sometimes.

That's not even nepotism: your dad being an HC and you grew up around football your whole life objectively makes you a better candidate than someone who's parents didn't work in football.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
Relative to the rest the league they're wildly underrepresented. 20% black qbs when the NFL as a whole is 70% black. Why is that?
Why is league 70% black when blacks account for less than 20% of the population? That doesn't seem to represent this country's demographics at all. How about they force the league to promote accurate representations of all races and sexual orientations on every front. From head coach to the practice squad person one week away from unemployment??

• 2Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I find it funny that every year its we don't have enough blacks for said coaching/gm position. People don't even hide it they literally will say black. I though this shit was supposed to help represent all minorities.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Boiling everything down to race definitely oversimplifies it. I don't think there's anything really wrong with the Rooney Rule because all it does is get guys that don't resemble what we all think of as a football coach an opportunity to sell themselves. I think the lack of white cornerbacks is probably racism too. People underestimated Jordy Nelson and even when he was like #2 in the league behind Calvin Johnson people would still call him a slot receiver and the like just because he was white.

We really need to be able to differentiate between basically innocent prejudice (which everyone has) and the kind of racism that they had back in the day where a black man had to be hanged for talking to a white woman. Being called a racist is basically the worst thing you can say about someone in this society (maybe behind pedophile but not by much) so it's understandable that people get defensive about it. Part of the problem is also self-righteous blow hards treating the first kind of racism as if it's just as bad as the second. Prejudice is not good, but it's impossible to work on what we have today with people trying to set people on fire for simple prejudice as if it was the same thing as overt hatred.

The Flores thing is a equality of opportunity vs. equality of outcome scenario. Everyone agrees that we want equality of opportunity, but then when the outcomes are different, you wonder if it was really based on merit or not. There's no real way to measure that. Flores probably thinks he's more qualified than the other guy even if he's not, and it's easy to blame racism for your not being picked and you will probably be rewarded for it in our society right now. It's also possible that he's right, but there's no way to know that either.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Boiling everything down to race definitely oversimplifies it. I don't think there's anything really wrong with the Rooney Rule because all it does is get guys that don't resemble what we all think of as a football coach an opportunity to sell themselves. I think the lack of white cornerbacks is probably racism too. People underestimated Jordy Nelson and even when he was like #2 in the league behind Calvin Johnson people would still call him a slot receiver and the like just because he was white.

We really need to be able to differentiate between basically innocent prejudice (which everyone has) and the kind of racism that they had back in the day where a black man had to be hanged for talking to a white woman. Being called a racist is basically the worst thing you can say about someone in this society (maybe behind pedophile but not by much) so it's understandable that people get defensive about it. Part of the problem is also self-righteous blow hards treating the first kind of racism as if it's just as bad as the second. Prejudice is not good, but it's impossible to work on what we have today with people trying to set people on fire for simple prejudice as if it was the same thing as overt hatred.

The Flores thing is a equality of opportunity vs. equality of outcome scenario. Everyone agrees that we want equality of opportunity, but then when the outcomes are different, you wonder if it was really based on merit or not. There's no real way to measure that. Flores probably thinks he's more qualified than the other guy even if he's not, and it's easy to blame racism for your not being picked and you will probably be rewarded for it in our society right now. It's also possible that he's right, but there's no way to know that either.

Well said sir.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

On Tuesday, Jared Stillman of 102.5 The Game in Nashville reported that the Packers quarterback has purchased land and is in the process of building a house in Franklin, Tennessee. A suburb of Nashville. Home of the Titans.

Interesting bit

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Being called a racist is basically the worst thing you can say about someone in this society

nah, that accusation has lost its teeth. in 2022 if you disagree with a lib on anything you are automatically racist. we have jussie smollet, nascar nooses, and hoax after hoax. the media ran a headline that larry elder (black dude) is the face of white supremacy during the recall in CA. pete buttigege says that roads and bridges are racist. i'm not denying racism exists, its the natural order in all animal species. but that word has been abused for political grift to the point of parody

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
the kind of racism that they had back in the day where a black man had to be hanged for talking to a white woman.
You bought a lie perpetuated by corrupt leaders and Hollywood. I'm not saying racism wasn't around, but this idea that they just threw black people into the nearest Oak tree because they drank at the wrong fountain every day? Total fuckin' horseshit, overblown lie.

• 3Moron
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You bought a lie perpetuated by corrupt leaders and Hollywood. I'm not saying racism wasn't around, but this idea that they just threw black people into the nearest Oak tree because they drank at the wrong fountain every day? Total fuckin' horseshit, overblown lie.

Lynches, like the Holocaust, didn't actually happen. #FakeNews

• 2Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lynches, like the Holocaust, didn't actually happen. #FakeNews
Didn't happen quite nearly to the extent Hollywood and race pimps would have you believe they did =! NEVER HAPPENED!

You said you were only 3 when the 49ers crushed the Bengals hearts in Super Bowl 23. Yet you were somehow around "back in the day" and personally witnessed Blacks getting hucked into sycamores every single day they dared speak to whitey.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Didn't happen quite nearly to the extent Hollywood and race pimps would have you believe they did =! NEVER HAPPENED!

You said you were only 3 when the 49ers crushed the Bengals hearts in Super Bowl 23. Yet you were somehow around "back in the day" and personally witnessed Blacks getting hucked into sycamores every single day they dared speak to whitey.

Jesus Christ you are dumb. It's just an example. Nobody said it happened every day except you. You don't have to make an ass of yourself with every post.

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You don't have to make an ass of yourself with every post.
Youre Wrong Jack Bannon GIF by PENNYWORTH

• 2Worf

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think what's happened is that Kirun Kirun has made himself look like a dumbass so much that he's now gone full Muurloen Muurloen and just embraced the troll identity so whenever he's called out he can act like it was a joke.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think what's happened is that Kirun Kirun has made himself look like a dumbass so much that he's now gone full Muurloen Muurloen and just embraced the troll identity so whenever he's called out he can act like it was a joke.
The only joke here is your franchise, bucko.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user