2022 NFL Offseason Thread: Looking forward Tua better future!

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I hope John Elway & Joe Ellis step away from the Broncos and stop letting their alcoholism destroy the franchise. Maybe the Flores thing is a positive, especially in light of a new owner this offseason.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, Smith had far better playoff performances than garoppolo, so there's that.

250 ypg, 14 td / 2 int

Versus

138 ypg, 4 TD/6 int

Even better if you just look at Smith's San Francisco playoff run.

I'm sure somebody will come in and scream wins and losses but there are 22 players on the field and Smith definitely did more in the playoff games than Jimmy g did. Smith had some bad special team and defensive performances in his playoff games.

Smith's stats pumped up by 2 shootouts, ironically one he won (sick ass game v Saints, 36-32), and one he lost the epic Andrew Luck 45-44 comeback (although Smith and the offense did their D no favors in the 2nd half at least...but really how does the D give up that lead). 7 of his 14 career playoff TD's came in those 2 games. The one against Luck and the Colts the only time Smith ever threw for over 300 yards in a playoff game.

Ironically, aside from that Saints game, Smith's first career playoff game, he lost every other playoff game in which the opposing team scored a single point in.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Smith's stats pumped up by 2 shootouts, ironically one he won (sick ass game v Saints, 36-32), and one he lost the epic Andrew Luck 45-44 comeback (although Smith and the offense did their D no favors in the 2nd half at least...but really how does the D give up that lead). 7 of his 14 career playoff TD's came in those 2 games. The one against Luck and the Colts the only time Smith ever threw for over 300 yards in a playoff game.

Ironically, aside from that Saints game, Smith's first career playoff game, he lost every other playoff game in which the opposing team scored a single point in.

So, he can put up a ton of points sometimes. Jimmy never balled out like that in the postseason. Look, I watched Alex for, what four seasons in KC? His limitations are real but I'd take him over Jimmy any day if it's Harbaugh or Reid coaching.

The comparison is Jimmy, not Patrick Mahomes. Take away Jimmy's best two games and he looks even more terrible in comparison to Smith. His game against the Rams, his sixth playoff game, was the first game he had more touchdowns than interceptions.

Special teams and defense lost Alex games and they won Jimmy games. Relying purely on win/loss is silly for player comparison. This isn't tennis.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

He had 1 pick per game this postseason, lets not pretend he was slinging turnovers like Jameis or something.
No one was pretending that. It's still telling in terms of his value and production.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
He threw what should have been 3 easy interceptions that game, Jalen Ramsey just has stone hands or something.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

On the plus side, he played better than Mahomes did in the second half of his game!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So, he can put up a ton of points sometimes. Jimmy never balled out like that in the postseason. Look, I watched Alex for, what four seasons in KC? His limitations are real but I'd take him over Jimmy any day if it's Harbaugh or Reid coaching.

The comparison is Jimmy, not Patrick Mahomes. Take away Jimmy's best two games and he looks even more terrible in comparison to Smith. His game against the Rams, his sixth playoff game, was the first game he had more touchdowns than interceptions.

Special teams and defense lost Alex games and they won Jimmy games. Relying purely on win/loss is silly for player comparison. This isn't tennis.

I agree completely that win/loss isn't usually effective looking at small sample sizes, especially. Nor am I picking Jimmy G over Smith, at least KC era Smith. But Smith's playoff record leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Special teams and defense lost Alex games and they won Jimmy games.
LOL if you think the 2011 loss was on Kyle Williams. Alex had TWO opportunities to win that game in the 4th quarter when it was 17-17 and choked. That offense was totally anemic in that game.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I never watched Smith at KC much, but it does seem like his best football was played there. I remember watching KC beat. the Pats one game though and going "Who the fuck is this and what have you done with Alex Smith?".

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Lots of comparisons to be made between Jimmy G and Smith. Both had a hard time staying on the field in San Francisco because of injuries. Both got replaced by the up-and-coming, mixed-race, 6’4” 225lb, ‘future of the team’, stud QB WHILE the team was in the middle of a stretch of being a Super Bowl contending team**. Heck, Trey Lance even took social justice knees at NDSU and seems to be all-in on the Black Lives Matter grift, just to drive home the irony.

** - I guess Smith wins out because he managed to do this exact same thing twice. If Patrick Mahomes was one inch taller it would be further proof that we live in a simulation.