3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah designing many, many air ducts for cars I can tell you air always wants to go straight. Its a lot more difficult to direct air than one might imagine.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Just now picking up where i left off in october with my Voron build. Had to shelve it for a few months due to many reasons but i'm determined! Mechanical is done, mostly wiring left.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've been drooling over the Voron 2.4

Don't think I want the commitment yet
There's a new revision of the 2.4 coming out any time now. Lots of the parts are being tested within the community, like the new carriage design Stealthburner, which has better airflow and lighted hotend! Single larger X rail instead of the binding and alignment problems inherent in a dual rail design. Other tweaks. Honestly, part of what got me off my ass to finish my build was so that i can print and swap to the new Stealthburner carriage with single X rail.

Though don't assume the 2.4 is inherently better than the Voron Trident. While the 2.4 uses a flying gantry and a fixed bed, the Trident uses a fixed gantry and a 3 lead-screw Z. LDO even created a stepper motor with the right length lead screw integrated into the motor, so you don't have to fuck about with sloppy couplers. That's about as solid of a build plate as you could ask. Both designs have pros/cons and both are really good. There's also a very well done mod that converts the trident to a belted/rail Z if you'd rather go that way. Trident prints amazingly.

• 1Like

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
I'm thinking of snagging a cheaper one to get some XP and printing my own parts for eventually and possibly the never version Voron 2.4

Missed the ender 3 for $100 at microcenter

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm thinking of snagging a cheaper one to get some XP and printing my own parts for eventually and possibly the never version Voron 2.4

Missed the ender 3 for $100 at microcenter

The Voron/Rat Rig are huge time investments. I'd spring for the Rat Rig since you can buy an entire kit instead of sourcing everything yourself. I just need a workshop area before starting on that beast of a project. I'd get a 600x600x600 print volume option.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
The Voron/Rat Rig are huge time investments. I'd spring for the Rat Rig since you can buy an entire kit instead of sourcing everything yourself. I just need a workshop area before starting on that beast of a project. I'd get a 600x600x600 print volume option.
I saw a vid comparing that and didn't like the smaller nozzle or flow on the rat rig. The voron prints faster (from what i gathered) and I'm a up for the task of putting one together. 600 is huge and awesome. But I think the next step for me would be a 80"-120" on a rotary table custom build. For large industrial castings . The 350 is pushing the space I have with the 510mm footprint for a personal rig

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
There are kit vendors of varying...completeness/quality for the voron 2.4. I'd stay far away from the Ali vendor kits. LDO makes a good one that you piece in some of your own preferred important components like mainboard and hotend. west3d has a configurator that you can make a good kit from at comparable or better pricing than a full self source of same components. There are lots of parts, don't overlook shipping if you end up placing 50 different orders. A kit that you replace some parts in can be a better investment.

Get the BOM and spreadsheet it out, get familiar with the major component groups and you can evaluate kits.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I've been drooling over the Voron 2.4

Don't think I want the commitment yet
Hah I looked at it. Was super tempting but as a first time 3d print buyer I skipped it - mainly didn’t want to spend time building it.

• 1Like

Hekotat

I saw a vid comparing that and didn't like the smaller nozzle or flow on the rat rig. The voron prints faster (from what i gathered) and I'm a up for the task of putting one together. 600 is huge and awesome. But I think the next step for me would be a 80"-120" on a rotary table custom build. For large industrial castings . The 350 is pushing the space I have with the 510mm footprint for a personal rig

I was pretty sure the Voron and RatRig were the same format just different vendors, I know the Voron is more DIY since it was the first thing I delved into when looking.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A couple guys at work are building rat rigs. I’m curious to see what the quality is like on those high speed prints.

Excited to see my friends Prusa XL too, should be here in a couple months I think.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Been emailing back and forth with the owner and head designer of clear view.

im thinking of grabbing their enclosure and stacking my printdry pro on top. Gotta reply to owner to get some more specs but seems pretty solid. Love anti vibration feet as that was another complaint of mine since my printer sits on my primary computer desk.

That looks nice but it seems really pricey for what it is. Friend that is heavily into printing is talking to a local plastics vendor to cut the poly for him, and he will print all the brackets and hinges. Seems like a fun project if he does go that route.

As far as anti vibration pads, I just put some adhesive foam furniture pads under mine, worked fine.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
That looks nice but it seems really pricey for what it is. Friend that is heavily into printing is talking to a local plastics vendor to cut the poly for him, and he will print all the brackets and hinges. Seems like a fun project if he does go that route.

As far as anti vibration pads, I just put some adhesive foam furniture pads under mine, worked fine.
I just got this in and assembled it. Definitely pricey for what it is. Few issues with parts fitment but overall happy. Will see what owner emails back.

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
Ender 3 V2 test print.i got the direct drive and metal MicroSwiss setup. Going to print Voron parts, hopefully, in carbon/nylon. 25% carbon, someone said they call it Black Aluminum
20220210_153411.jpg

• 2Like

Hekotat

I want the Prusa XL just because their shit works great without a lot of fuss but I love the price per footprint of the Voron/Rat Rig.

Micro Swiss finally released a 1.0mm hardened nozzle for my CR-6 Max, gonna have to order that bitch to cut print times down even further.

I got the PC case fully assembled, transferred everything over and it would not power up. The lights wouldn't come on as soon as the power cable was plugged in like on my main case. I fucked with it for a few hours and couldn't get it to work and thought I fucked something up. I transferred everything back into the Cerberus X and it fired up immediately, same cables and components and everything. My guess is it's something to do with the mobo being grounded on a regular metal case. I'll have to do some digging and see if other people have had the same issue.

Everything bolted up great but I didn't factor in the power cable location on the video card I have and it wouldn't allow the top of the case to bolt up with the fans so I'm doing some re-design work and improving some issues I saw with my initial design.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
Designed and printed this simple version of 1/8" plexi enclosure Which I don't like, and started drawing a new one. Going to add TPU pads on plexi face I think. Need to test prints
16446055056705614847649113844653.jpg
16446054722753797006099424629267.jpg
20220211_135007.jpg

• 1Like

Hekotat

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
Looks like you have some belt tension or wobble issues in your print from the machine moving, hard to tell from the pics and your setup. Looks good though.
I did, I fixed a saggy belt mid print and had to restart.
Haven't printed much TPU, but thinking of using it in tension here (in red) for an enclosure clip.
20220211_152038.jpg