80s Sword and Sandel / Sorcery / Scandal - 80s fantasy guilty pleasure goodness

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i alluded to this earlier, but the story i heard about Red Sonja was this was supposed to be Conan 3(the Conqueror) , but they didnt get the rights to the Conan franchise. they reworked the script and made it about a ginger chick named Red Sonja with Arnold showing up randomly to play a Conanesque barbarian named Kalidor. the result was a really shitty movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I watched Time Bandits a few weeks ago because it was mentioned as an Ultima influence. Was pretty good! Has Jon Irenicus as the villain, and Bilbo Baggins was Napoleon.

• 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
i alluded to this earlier, but the story i heard about Red Sonja was this was supposed to be Conan 3(the Conqueror) , but they didnt get the rights to the Conan franchise. they reworked the script and made it about a ginger chick named Red Sonja with Arnold showing up randomly to play a Conanesque barbarian named Kalidor. the result was a really shitty movie.

I liked it ok for what it was. What's truly awful is that almost 40 years later....I'd watch Red Sonja multiple times in a row before I'd watch Damsel.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
He-man was created because they had a bunch of toys made for the Conan movies but couldn't sell them or something. So they rebranded and created He-man.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
would Evil Dead 2 qualify as sword and sandal kind of fantasy? or just a horror story?

if not. here is another cool one.
mazes-and-monsters-tv-guide-ad.jpg

Tom Hanks best movie

1710819106765.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He-man was created because they had a bunch of toys made for the Conan movies but couldn't sell them or something. So they rebranded and created He-man.
yup. Midnight's Edge has a whole series of videos based on the Heman/Conan situation. Mattel tried to pull a fast one.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
when they redid the ratings to add pg-13 in 1984 bare female breasts disappeared from all but r movies. i do not remember a pg-13 movie that actually has them in it and as i am looking this up, Titanic is about the only movie i know of that was pg13 and had nudity.

we can blame lucas and spielburg for pg13...indiana jones and the temple of doom temple scene- the heart being cut out scene i believe- was deemed too violent for pg yet the movie itself was too tame for R

hey can we list Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom here ? cheesy- check- not great- check- 1980's? check. of course i'd watch it over a lot of the movies here, but....

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
when they redid the ratings to add pg-13 in 1984 bare female breasts disappeared from all but r movies. i do not remember a pg-13 movie that actually has them in it and as i am looking this up, Titanic is about the only movie i know of that was pg13 and had nudity.

we can blame lucas and spielburg for pg13...indiana jones and the temple of doom temple scene- the heart being cut out scene i believe- was deemed too violent for pg yet the movie itself was too tame for R

hey can we list Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom here ? cheesy- check- not great- check- 1980's? check. of course i'd watch it over a lot of the movies here, but....
Probably. It had at least one sword and some sorcery.

Siliconemelons

Yeah...but it wasn't a B movie... even dragonslayer was not a B movie really...

Really, Conan was an A level, as was Conan the destroyer, but it was slipping into B... then all the mimics and even red sonja were solidly B class...

Deathstalker has to be the best series, you can play find that re-used footage and other such fun games

• 1Like