91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
their relationship was incredibly believable and I cri everytiem I watch it.

Up to and including the point where she let him die because she wanted the plank of wood all to herself. If that's not an accurate portrayal of women in a relationship: I don't know what is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I watched BP just a few months ago.

It was cringe worthy in so many places. I had heard that it was looked at as a black empowerment movie ( or somesuch ) but yikes.

- We're an advanced tech nation. But when it's time for battle, it's spears and shields - because Africa??
- The 15 year old girl is their scientific genius, she looked like she should be taking my order at McDonalds . . . I might have believed it if they played her as level 80 autism, and then could bring the
science out when needed. Something other like that to make it believeable some ways.
- Then the most cringe moment ( I just fucken laughed, glad I wasn't in a cinema ) that gorilla themed tribe, when the white guy went to speak out of place they did a gorilla bark/hoot at him till he learnt his place. = WTF ??? ROFL.
- At the end, we're going to help Africa . . . now after the famines and genocides - that's in just my living memory. Now we're going to help Africa.

Yeah I'm guessing a lot of that is due to a need to keep to the way things are in the comics. But they should have made some changes. And I know that some of the black empowerment cred was due to the director being black.

IW is way better.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
BP won't win, but they included it in the noms to appease people. They'll avoid the backlash of not letting it win by having one of the other black related movies win. And just like that, the "Oscars are too white!" controversy of just a few short years ago = solved.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Really hope nick cage gets somnething.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Up to and including the point where she let him die because she wanted the plank of wood all to herself.

As much as I love that joke, he TRIES to climb up on the door and they can't keep it balanced long enough for him to get on top, which is why he just stays in the water.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
As much as I love that joke, he TRIES to climb up on the door and they can't keep it balanced long enough for him to get on top, which is why he just stays in the water.

OK, OK, fine.

Up to and including the point where the poor bastard with charm sacrificed himself to save the pampered woman that was just going to wind up cheating on him anyway as she had already proven to be disloyal.

LET ME HAVE MY BITTERNESS, DAMN YOU

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

It was cringe worthy in so many places. I had heard that it was looked at as a black empowerment movie ( or somesuch ) but yikes.

- We're an advanced tech nation. But when it's time for battle, it's spears and shields - because Africa??
- The 15 year old girl is their scientific genius, she looked like she should be taking my order at McDonalds . . . I might have believed it if they played her as level 80 autism, and then could bring the
science out when needed. Something other like that to make it believeable some ways.
- Then the most cringe moment ( I just fucken laughed, glad I wasn't in a cinema ) that gorilla themed tribe, when the white guy went to speak out of place they did a gorilla bark/hoot at him till he learnt his place. = WTF ??? ROFL.
- At the end, we're going to help Africa . . . now after the famines and genocides - that's in just my living memory. Now we're going to help Africa.

Yeah I'm guessing a lot of that is due to a need to keep to the way things are in the comics. But they should have made some changes. And I know that some of the black empowerment cred was due to the director being black.

IW is way better.

The arrant stupidity of Wakandan succession law has been a recurring plot point for almost the entire history of the Black Panther comic too.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
When has that mattered with the Oscars?
It has never mattered .

Titanic is absoluetly beloved with millions of people (largely women of course) .

Avatar was a wonder of technology and yet another pro nature film and was also hugely influential.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did we really get this far without mentioning the turdfest that was the 2005 best picture category? At least BP is a watchable movie.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

IW is way better.
Wakanda was the greatest nation in Africa, and probably the world. at any time if they wanted to, they could have prevented slavery and freed all the black people or any people who who were already enslaved. they could have prevented every genocide, they could have instituted order in the continent. but no. Jafi Jofur was too busy fucking hoodrats to give two shits about any of that. BP is probably the greatest joke ever told by Stan Lee. people actually bought this bullshit. i hope it wins.

Titanic was a huge chickflick. men really cant comprehend it because you need a vagina to get that film. my date was crying her eyes out by the end of that film and i had to cover my mouth several times to keep from laughing. its easily as ridiculous as Black Panther.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think Titanic was one of the top 5 films of all time. All time.

This reminds me of a time at a party where we were discussing the Top 5 Baseball movies of all time and someone decided they needed their idea to be heard and said unjokingly "Mr. 3000". That person was of course banned from giving their opinion on anything forevermore.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This reminds me of a time at a party where we were discussing the Top 5 Baseball movies of all time and someone decided they needed their idea to be heard and said unjokingly "Mr. 3000". That person was of course banned from giving their opinion on anything forevermore.
top 5?
Pride Of The Yankees
League Of Their Own
Bingo Long and the Travelling All Stars & Motor Kings
Major League
The Natural

did i do ok?

Merrith

top 5?
Pride Of The Yankees
League Of Their Own
Bingo Long and the Travelling All Stars & Motor Kings
Major League
The Natural

did i do ok?

Crushed it.

At our party at least, Field of Dreams and Bull Durham were both consensus top 5. League of Their Own only one person argued against. Major League about the same, last of the top 5 I think we settled on Sandlot. Few other movies were mentioned a lot, 61* (I wanted it in top 5) and The Natural quite a bit. One guy who really liked For Love of the Game (not Mr. 3000 bad, but come on top 5?).

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Moneyball and OG Bad News Bears are both also awesome. For Love of the Game is pretty much trash tier trope bullshit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Crushed it.

At our party at least, Field of Dreams and Bull Durham were both consensus top 5. League of Their Own only one person argued against. Major League about the same, last of the top 5 I think we settled on Sandlot. Few other movies were mentioned a lot, 61* (I wanted it in top 5) and The Natural quite a bit. One guy who really liked For Love of the Game (not Mr. 3000 bad, but come on top 5?).
Field of Dreams is really good, but i think people like that movie because its a dad movie more than a baseball movie. Sandlot is good fun, but i always thought of it as a Stand By Me clone. For The Love of the Game is really underrated and diserves more attention, but i dunno if top 5. i never heard of 61. Roger Maris movie? i would love a Brooklyn Dodgers film. my uncle went to every game and he would tell me stories about all the world series games they had with the Yankees. i'm probably one of the few people my age from NJ who grew up a Dodgers fan.

Merrith

Moneyball and OG Bad News Bears are both also awesome. For Love of the Game is pretty much trash tier trope bullshit.

Moneyball we figured fit in the 5-10 range. Bad News Bears pretty dated at this point. I can sit through For Love of the Game and it's not terrible like Mr. 3000 level, but it shouldn't be mentioned ever on some Top 5 or even Top 15 list. There's plenty of other movies like 42, Eight Men Out, The Rookie, hell Mr. Baseball...even kid stuff like Little Big League or Rookie of the Year haha.

• 1Like

Merrith

Field of Dreams is really good, but i think people like that movie because its a dad movie more than a baseball movie. Sandlot is good fun, but i always thought of it as a Stand By Me clone. For The Love of the Game is really underated and derves more attention, but i dunno if top 5. i never heard of 61. Roger Maris movie? i would love a Brooklyn Dodgers film. my uncle went to every game and he would tell me stories about the all the world series games they had with the Yankees. i'm probably one of the few people my age from NJ who grew up a Dodgers fan.

Yeah 61 was the Maris/Mantle movie that Billy Crystal directed I think. I wanted that in over Sandlot but for a lot of my group Sandlot is heavy nostalgia. You should find time to check it out, great cast and great movie (Barry Pepper is Maris, Thomas Jane as Mantle).

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
How someone ranks Moneyball probably directly correlates with how they feel about Sorkin in general I think. Pitt and Hill were both really good, but Sorkin does tend to repeat a lot of the same shit in all his work even if it's clever. It's very rewatchable though so it gets a lot of points for that.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the end of the OG BNB still rustles my jimmies. i tried watching it years later as an adult and the magic wore off for me. Moneybal is an interesting film, but its not really satisfying. just this is how we compartmentalize everything to make this game as by the numbers as possible. maybe accountants would rate it top 5.