Abortion

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Look dude, if you think I was being serious about being proud you are a dumbshit. I was being completely sarcastic. It was a stupid, irresponsible fucking thing I did, I have no excuse that's true, but it all went down 17-20 years ago, I'm not that person anymore. Afterwards I went into a dark, self destructive downward spiral that went on for ten years. Miraculously I somehow pulled out of it and straightened my life out. If I could take it back I would, but I can't and spending the rest of my life feeling guilty doesn't do anyone any good.
I don't fucking know you and if the statement was being sarcastic you picked a shitty statement in which to be sarcastic. To me the statement read as "Douchebag" or "Asshole" rather than "Sarcastic".

Putting that aside now since I understand how to read your posts..

-----

If you "dun fucked up" I get it, I really do and that is my whole stance. People make fucked up decisions all the time out of desperation, fear, ignorance and selfishness.

My desire is that people receive all the support they need from doctors, psychiatrists and peers. I think these support methods would allow people to climb out of a destructive cycle (similar to what you stated was your case) and assist them to better their choices in the future.

Abortion is abortion, people were throwing their kids into the ocean since the vikings (yes, I know this is NOT what was the intent with this action). You won't ever get rid of it but that doesn't mean that you can't assist people in seeking out alternatives or help.

I think both sides of the issue closing their ears to the other is really destructive though but there are terrible ideas on both sides..

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I don't fucking know you and if the statement was being sarcastic you picked a shitty statement in which to be sarcastic. To me the statement read as "Douchebag" or "Asshole" rather than "Sarcastic".
This is what happens when long time lurkers decide to start posting. oops

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Can honestly say as a pregnant lady that my views on abortion haven't changed one bit.
My mentality didn't really start to change until after my kid was born. I think it is an issue that requires nuance, something our country is not good at. The only thing I think is written in stone about abortion is that it is a terrible thing. But terrible things happen every day.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
So here's a sort of scientific explanation:

1) According to science, time is an illusion. The future and past should technically be accessible in the present (or something to that effect).
2) You make a decision to have unprotected sex and a zygote forms
3) You make a decision to end the zygote's existence, knowing that with time, it will become a baby / life of some sort
4) So you killed a baby?!?

Orcus_sl

shitlord
If men could get pregnant, abortion would be the 1st commandment, sent down by the Lord himself, complete with an entire book of the bible dedicated to instruction on how to do it. This thread wouldn't exist. You're fucking kidding yourself if you male posters crying about this think you'd have the same opinion if you yourself could get pregnant and women could walk away and leave you struggling with a child in a society that doesn't give a shit.

You think just cause some asshole talks a girl into sex and gets her pregnant young and out of wedlock that all of her desires and dreams should be flushed down the toilet? Fuck you (the royal you, not anyone specifically in this thread, and certainly not the OP, who is a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything). This could've easily happened to my woman, hell lots of the women in academia I've met. She'd be washing dishes in a trailer married to a west virginia pig farmer instead of unlocking the secrets of the universe. No woman is under obligation to ruin her life because you get all teary-eyed about conception. Look at the backwards shitholes that ban it, look at the backwards retards in America fighting against it. Take the hint.

As birth control gets more advanced, the number of abortions will decrease. This "problem" will solve itself.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So here's a sort of scientific explanation:

1) According to science, time is an illusion. The future and past should technically be accessible in the present (or something to that effect).
2) You make a decision to have unprotected sex and a zygote forms
3) You make a decision to end the zygote's existence, knowing that with time, it will become a baby / life of some sort
4) So you killed a baby?!?
Hmm. So, every time a woman "has a headache" and turns down sex... potential baby killer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If men could get pregnant, abortion would be the 1st commandment, sent down by the Lord himself, complete with an entire book of the bible dedicated to instruction on how to do it. This thread wouldn't exist. You're fucking kidding yourself if you male posters crying about this think you'd have the same opinion if you yourself could get pregnant and women could walk away and leave you struggling with a child in a society that doesn't give a shit.

You think just cause some asshole talks a girl into sex and gets her pregnant young and out of wedlock that all of her desires and dreams should be flushed down the toilet? Fuck you. This could've easily happened to my woman, hell lots of the women in academia I've met. She'd be washing dishes in a trailer married to a west virginia pig farmer instead of unlocking the secrets of the universe. No woman is under obligation to ruin her life because you get all teary-eyed about conception. Look at the backwards shitholes that ban it, look at the backwards retards in America fighting against it. Take the hint.

As birth control gets more advanced, the number of abortions will decrease. This "problem" will solve itself.
I know you mean well, but you seem to have a really low opinion of women and mothers.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I know you mean well, but you seem to have a really low opinion of women and mothers.
I'd argue that people fighting to ban abortion are the ones with unequal opinions about women, even if they mean well.

That example about the pig farmer isn't hyperbole. When you come from as backwards a place as Appalachia, that's exactly what happens. Her childhood friend was more gifted than her at mathematics. Got pregnant young, abortion out of the question, fast forward, no higher education, literally living in a trailer with a poor pig farmer, teeth rotting out of her skull. I don't mean happy mothers in stable financial situations that love mothering. That goes without saying. She could've been a female einstein but for the way her gender is treated in places like that. Breeder chattel. Might as well be a cow in a pasture.

edit: I do think I see where you're coming from and it might've sounded like I was coming down on women that want to have kids in general, or that women can't have kids and a high powered career (they can, but not alone, without lots of family and financial support, without those things, good luck). Sorry for the impression, I'm talking about women in bad situations, women who are left by the father, women stuck in 'traditional' societies that might have other hopes and dreams but are told to sit down shut up and tend the kids. That sort of thing.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
I <3 abortion, people suck and we already have too many of em. I also support saving the dead fetuses, so we can launch them via catapult at anti-abortion protesters, vegans, and the westboro baptist church.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Here's another tale of love she just relayed to me.

1. Sweet girl from the Phillipines she meets at u of chicago.
2. Falls in love with good catholic boy.
3. "We can't use contraception."
4. "OK."
5. "I'm pregnant."
6. "You can't get an abortion."
7. "I'm dumping you GTFO."
8. Profit?

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I'll second a bit of what Etoille said; a lot of my being pro-choice is because of all the pro-lifer idiots. It shouldn't be used as a form of birth control, but my stance has always been that if you're even considering abortion, either because it's not a good time in your life, you're financially strapped, etc then it's probably for the best. I've been pro-choice the majority of my life, and I think part of that is because of my mother having me so young. I mean, sure, I'm glad I wasn't aborted, but what if she had waited, and then had me? I love her, but she is a god awful mom. Pro-lifers want to require you to have the kid - this world it what it is, and people are going to fuck up, and get into bad situations, and hey, contraceptives can fail - but they don't give a shit what type of life you could be bringing that kid into.

I'm 100% pro-choice, but there are things that make me cringe a bit. I just know I hear people on welfare, and all of this other shit - raising 6 kids because you couldn't keep your legs closed. People want to say, well you got yourself into that situation, now deal with the consequences. But having a child shouldn't be a consequence, because the child suffers.

I'm too selfish of a person to have a kid, although I think because of how old I am and because the person that I love is 100% supportive of me, if I got pregnant I'd probably lean towards having it. But for a long time, I used contraceptives, and took precautions, but I always knew that my having a kid before I was ready would be terrible for the child. Sure, you could give it up, but we're talking something that grows inside of me for 9 months. Nobody should be able to make that decision for me.

That doesn't mean i'm fine and dandy with abortion; it would be a decision I took a long time to come to and wouldn't go into lightly, hence my taking precautions so that I DON'T put myself in that situation. But yea. I guess I'm pro-choice for any situation. Getting pregnant at 16 is no picnic, and we can cry all we want about how that woman's life is over because she is a mom for the rest of her life, but no one really thinks about the flip side. A kid whose quality of life might be drastically diminished because their mother wasn't ready for them at all.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A kid whose quality of life might be drastically diminished because their mother wasn't ready for them at all.
It's hard for me to buy into this argument, because to this day I've never seen this argument by someone who posed that they wish they were aborted. When you abort you don't delay a release until some external bugs are worked out, you terminate a unique individual. Even if you have a kid a few years later under more structured circumstances that person isn't brought back.
Orcus_sl said:
I'd argue that people fighting to ban abortion are the ones with unequal opinions about women, even if they mean well.
I agree with this and probably just misread your post, but you seem to pose women as naive fawns who are captured by men and entrapped in a life of servitude. Though on reflection I admit that may be accurate for many young women who get knocked up before they become more mature in their 20s.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think that is a problem with both sides of the argument, too often the kid is not really afforded the proper measure of respect. You have pro-choice people who seek to minimize what constitutes a human to the point of absurdity, and pro-lifers who seem to care nothing for a kid once the threshold of birth has been past. The extremes of both positions are equally abhorrent to me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think that is a problem with both sides of the argument, too often the kid is not really afforded the proper measure of respect. You have pro-choice people who seek to minimize what constitutes a human to the point of absurdity, and pro-lifers who seem to care nothing for a kid once the threshold of birth has been past. The extremes of both positions are equally abhorrent to me.
There's some nuance to this that many people look over. The very pro-life people I know are very charitable. The catholic church is one of the most charitable organizations and the most pro-life organizations.

There's an awkward inconsistency in the pro-life movement where it is joined with a small government ideology. You'd think that'd result in them saying it's not the role of the government to ban abortions, but instead they just say that it's not the role of the government to provide 'too much' for mothers and their children.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
more like a really low opinion of todays society. Children are career killers, most employers will never hire a mother because she might miss a few extra days per year because of the child or even worse, might have another. Children are considered bad, and if you have too many, you're already trash in most peoples eyes, no matter what.

Women who have children are expected to stay at home, and doing otherwise with any resemblence of success is next to impossible.

It's hard for me to buy into this argument, because to this day I've never seen this argument by someone who posed that they wish they were aborted.
Curious, how many actually poor people do you know? Like crackhouse squatting poor?