Aladdin (2019)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
it does kind of look like they just had some cameras filming a Disney parade in one of the parks vs. an actual production.

Yeah, its got to be the camera work. I realized after watching it again, the original hardly has any shots of the actual parade. They always do tight shots of aspects of the parade, like the swordsmen or the dancers, or of Aladdin himself, but it makes it seem like the parade is massive because every look back has a different element. And the Genie is running all around between it.

It's just so much better and more interesting.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, its got to be the camera work. I realized after watching it again, the original hardly has any shots of the actual parade. They always do tight shots of aspects of the parade, like the swordsmen or the dancers, or of Aladdin himself, but it makes it seem like the parade is massive because every look back has a different element. And the Genie is running all around between it.

It's just so much better and more interesting.
and it doesn't have Will Smith in it

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The cartoon has a lot of shots that imply a very LARGE space whereas the live action is very confined, making the parade seem super-small.
Cartoon has low angle shots looking up at open sky, and when you see the crowds they are far back and imply a ton of spectators.
And yea, the Genie is more active which keeps it interesting. Maybe the Live action will have him doing stuff similar, but that clip doesn't show it and just looks bad
Also Will Smith's singing is horrendous, too slow, and it's like he's just trying to pronounce the words properly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
First thing I thought of was Bollywood. Maybe that’s what they were going for? But yeah, everything looks strangely cheap/Halloween costume-esque.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I just looked at the casting and didn't realize that guy was supposed to be Jafar... he doesn't look like an all powerful sorcerer, he looks like a tax accountant.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The clip doesn't go as far as the slaves, servants and flunkies so no idea there. They replaced "brush up your sunday salaam" with "brush up your brideday salon" and "genuflect show some respect" with "show some respect, boy genuflect" to make it more 'urban'. There's also the "when it comes to exotic type mammals" line which features a swarm of ostriches running in... which are not mammals.

They also seem to have nuked all the impressions / goofy impersonations like "fabulous june, love the feathers" and replaced it with a new character of Jasmine's maid who makes goofy gestures. Basically Will Smith coulnd't do the comedy part so they outsourced it to a new character.

They changed "brush up your Sunday Salaam" to "Brush up your Friday Salaam" , which is pandering to Islam. The original was a nod to Christianity , as in wearing your "Sunday's Best". But we can't have a reference to Christianity these days, of course it is changed to Islams day of rest.

• 1Salty

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
They released a clip of Prince Ali and it's a train wreck. It lacks all life and personality and they went full retard with lyric changes.

In the comments someone mentioned playing at 1.25 speed and they are right that it's definitely better, feels more like the pacing and tempo of the original. This is going to suck though, I'm going to go see Lion King but this one is going to be a pass even with the nostalgia

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
In the comments someone mentioned playing at 1.25 speed and they are right that it's definitely better, feels more like the pacing and tempo of the original. This is going to suck though, I'm going to go see Lion King but this one is going to be a pass even with the nostalgia

Yup, playing at 1.25 speed is the ticket. MUCH better. Pretty sure the slow down is intentional to make it more 'hip-hop' as Will stated. They wanted to give it more of a swing less of a bounce, which is terrible.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
yet it still sucks balls. they should pump cyanide gas into the theaters while this is playing to cull the herd. global warming solved

• 5Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

Siliconemelons

I think they just removed the entire "he's got elves, he's got servants and flunkies" but I do not remember the entire flow.

So I did watch it, and it is horrific... good lord...

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Needed dat dyke casting. A butch queen would have killed it

But Disney was hellbent on "FEATURING WILL SMITH"

elidib

Vyemm Raider
The change to add in Jasmine's handmaid as a sidekick makes no sense. Jasmine was alone and bored, hence why she wanted to escape the palace so much... if you give her a best friend, it ruins her character's motivation.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Songs and elaborate Vegas dance performances work for animated fictional settings. Trying to put that in live action "reality" is never going to work. At best you get the comedic TV show episode singing where they embrace the cheeze.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Songs and elaborate Vegas dance performances work for animated fictional settings. Trying to put that in live action "reality" is never going to work. At best you get the comedic TV show episode singing where they embrace the cheeze.

Better cuts can help

The director can't defend the decisions he made.

They are indefensible

Caliane

The lyrics are fine but the delivery is flat.

Editing and angles could have fixed this.

The cinematography is just flat and lingering.

Stillborn.
yeah, exactly these.
ffs. how do you do this, and not go full Bollywood?
Bigger sets, more dancers. Better angles.