Aladdin (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Songs and elaborate Vegas dance performances work for animated fictional settings. Trying to put that in live action "reality" is never going to work. At best you get the comedic TV show episode singing where they embrace the cheeze.

Bollywood would like to have a word.
Guy Ritchie and Will Smith are both way the fuck out of their element on this.

Inque

FunEmployed
In an age where they can pull off the effects with movies like The Avengers and Alita: Battle Angel, I expected at least SOME magic shown in that clip by comparison to the Robin Williams version. Nope, just Will Smith on a Macy's float. Fucking pathetic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Songs and elaborate Vegas dance performances work for animated fictional settings. Trying to put that in live action "reality" is never going to work. At best you get the comedic TV show episode singing where they embrace the cheeze.

Others have linked great examples, but this just isn't true. Indians do this all the time, not even for movies--just for music videos. And the visuals are striking and interesting.

You can make work it you aren't a lazy asshole with your camera. In this case they could have used a CGI genie liberally to make all kinds of fun, interesting cuts to add reaction to the parade and then zoomed back to see some visuals that made it seem pretty insane. Instead, as others mentioned, it literally looks like a Disney street parade.

Really though, watch the above video or the Caliane Caliane linked. I've seen the above one half a dozen times and I still find it interesting to watch.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rewatched the original, remastered for blue-ray and the cartoon is near flawless I can't imagine them possibly capturing the range of the characters for this. Jaffar and Abu especially. If the sand tiger scene is a static tiger, that would be more fail.
With that said, a person in the room shrugged and said they can't get into cartoons and loved both the live action Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast, so maybe this movie simply isn't for me? But I also can't accept that because stale cardboard acting that is live action simply to be live action is bullshit unacceptable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Exactly its not about live action. Its about a bad production.

Its a damn shame they are going to put this movie out in this condition.

• 3Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Exactly its not about live action. Its about a bad production.

Its a damn shame they are going to put this movie out in this condition.
Agreed. I'm not even saying recreate the same masterpiece 1:1. But have some class, have life.

Maybe I'm wrong but no trailer so far has shown me anything likeable.

Lion King was also a masterpiece but it's trailer at least reminds me of a Christmas Carol (whatever the Dickens one is called). That I felt was pointlessly converted but also captured audiences that didn't like live action and it was both not offensive and true to source.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

This was also a good "boy" Disney cartoon - it was really boy gets girl with a slightly enchanted girl role and some light feminism - in comparison to like snow white, sleeping Beauty and even beauty and the beast were all primary female.

This I am sure is going to notch up the feminism and crap.

Letting Robin Williams have freedom with his lines and lyrics is one thing... letting Will Smith have the same...

You get a rap infused prince Ali at 1/2 tempo that sounds like crap.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was also a good "boy" Disney cartoon - it was really boy gets girl with a slightly enchanted girl role and some light feminism - in comparison to like snow white, sleeping Beauty and even beauty and the beast were all primary female.

This I am sure is going to notch up the feminism and crap.

Letting Robin Williams have freedom with his lines and lyrics is one thing... letting Will Smith have the same...

You get a rap infused prince Ali at 1/2 tempo that sounds like crap.
His flatness in the Prince Ali parade song was jarring in the trailer.

• 3Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So this is out now, fess up whoever saw it and let us know all the horrible parts. Would you turn Jasmine down?

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

After Moana, should have Disney chosen The Rock for the role of Genie not will Smith?

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Tried taking my three 3 yr olds and we saw just over half before they got antsy. Personally, it's better than the trailers would lead you to believe. Actually the genie was done very well and was making the movie. The parade scene was a weak spot but it was good enough prior and after to not matter much.

A lot of noticeable changes from the cartoon but it seemed fine.

Kids were loving it but 3 is still slightly too young to sit through a 2hr movie plus had 20 minutes of previews. This was their first movie experience.

I would like to see the last 40 mins, I feel like we missed all the big action and I wanted to see how they did the last sequences

• 3Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just saw it today with my 3 year olds as well, and outside of the songs it was decently good. The only song that wasn’t awful was whole new world. Will Smith wasn’t a bad genie during the non singing parts, but his tempo just shat all over the songs. And they felt they needed to shoehorn in a new girl power song which was terrible (well performed, just out of place and cringy). They changed the ending up quite a bit post taking down jafar, and it’s not a terrible change assuming they don’t plan to follow up with the sequels.

Actress who played jasmine did a good job, plus she’s pretty hot. Actor who played Aladdin wasn’t terrible but wasn’t great either.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Yeah when I read that they pushed in a new "frozen let it go" song - for the purpose of "girl power" I am not happy... because as I said- this was one of the few - boy focused Disney cartoons - and it was barely that...now it's completely not I am sure.

I managed to be at WDW this entire weekend and NOT go see it... in fact... for an opening weekend of a new film, they did NOTHING in any of the parks.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oh and there were a few scenes where they seemed to just be sped up to increase the pace? I dunno, was really weird.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit this movie is hot garbage...

The ONLY think that Will Smith should be doing is killing aliens and I'm pretty sure that will get him kicked out of the underpants club he's in. I mean shit even the delivery of the lines on the boat 30 seconds in was rough.

I dunno if I can do this guys....

I keep starting and pausing this handi-cam version because it's causing me to cringe so hard.

Someone, anyone...convince me that this movie is worth the time it takes to watch while I do something else.

EDIT:

Yep nope...I'm done. got to Will Smith jumping out of the lamp and delivering a "Heeeelllooo"

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Holy shit this movie is hot garbage...

The ONLY think that Will Smith should be doing is killing aliens and I'm pretty sure that will get him kicked out of the underpants club he's in. I mean shit even the delivery of the lines on the boat 30 seconds in was rough.

I dunno if I can do this guys....

I keep starting and pausing this handi-cam version because it's causing me to cringe so hard.

Someone, anyone...convince me that this movie is worth the time it takes to watch while I do something else.

EDIT:

Yep nope...I'm done. got to Will Smith jumping out of the lamp and delivering a "Heeeelllooo"

I couldn't make it off the opening boat scene ever. Unbelievably bad.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The girlfriend wanted to go to a movie this weekend. I suggested John Wick, she suggest Aladdin. We went to Aladdin.

Uh, it wasn't bad... got to say, I actually enjoyed it. I haven't seen the original cartoon since I was a kid in 1992, but this one brought back some good memories and nostalgia.

The Good:
-They brought an animated film to life. The colors, the spectacle... it was all well done.
-The pacing clipped along nicely.
-Not a Will Smith fan, but he did a great job with the Genie. He had the highest degree of difficulty, going toe to toe with Robin Williams' iconic Genie. Smith did it, he was the highlight of the movie.
-Jasmin wanted to be the ruler, while everyone else wanted her to marry a ruler. Thing was, she was the most qualified person for the job. So, in the end when she becomes Sultan, it doesn't seem forced. Well done SJW'ism? Disney... lol.
-The actors playing Aladdin and Jasmin did a great job. They really were true to their animated source characters.

The Bad:
-The actor playing Jafar lacked some presence. Prince Oberyn (Pedro Pascal) would have been AMAZING in the role.
-They sped up the camera and used some CGI in some spots where it just wasn't needed.

• 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wife and 4.5 year old son saw it over the weekend. She said it was better than she thought (she was expecting crap) and she enjoyed it. He liked it, she said he lost it laughing at some rap Will Smith did at the end.

I’m just happy he was able to sit through live action. Since he made it through that I tested avengers infinity war the next day and although he asked questions and talked the entire time he loved it so I’m happy. Thanks Aladdin.

• 3Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Had a last minute cancellation of my board game night, so I figured I would catch this before it got slotted out of the Dolby at my theater for Rocketman tomorrow.

Movie was fine, Will Smith was much better than I thought he would be. Jafar wasn't actually that bad per se, so much as he was just a far cry from the role he was reprising. If we never had the animated villain, he would have been much more palatable. He had the calm demeanor, but none of the menacing presence.

Jasmine's new songs felt way out of place. Not that they were bad, I dont even think they were that far over the top girl power. She was correct that she was the only one that cared about her people, other than her father, and should be queen (they probably would have been more overtly "Girl Power" if the Sultan was a bumbling idiot like in the original). However, they felt like a stage musical song stuck in a Disney musical. Maybe Disney wants to bring it to the stage next?

I had read the comments here about the speed up, slow down, so it was obvious when I saw it in the movie. The times I really noticed it were during "One Jump Ahead" where it kind of really made the movie look like a Guy Ritchie movie. It was also used during Prince Ali (which I swear was a different cut than that preview they put out on youtube) and the end credits reprise of "Friend Like Me". I am pretty sure it is there to imitate an animated look, because that's how they animate things, slow on key frames, fast on transitions. The TikTok app does basically the same thing, and with proper choreography can make people look unsettlingly animated, which is what happened. There is a good example of it being done at the start of this thread

Anyway, the movie is fine, but there is no reason to spend 2 hours watching this when you could spend 90 minutes watching Robin Williams.

• 1Like