Alien: Covenant (2017)

Jive Turkey

Karen
There has been a theory floating about regarding the origin of the Facehugger that I really like

Shaw most probably had been killed by David and he dissected her body for experimentation to perfect his Alien creation. It had been suggested from the fleeting shot of her body that he removed her spine to make the Facehugger's tail; her fingers for the claws in which to attached itself to the host's face; her ovaries and fellopian tubes to produce and transfer the alien eggs and her vagina as the mouth/opening that it uses to pump the egg into the host when it had attached itself.

I can certainly see the similarities and reinforced everyone's thinking that the Facehugger always had the appearance of a cunt.
this seems kinda silly. The idea of him "building" a facehugger, Frankenstein style... that makes no sense. How would a creature mechanically put together ever give rise to an organism that resembled that mish-mash??? It seems far more likely that David's experiments were of the genetic and selective breeding variety

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
this seems kinda silly. The idea of him "building" a facehugger, Frankenstein style... that makes no sense. How would a creature mechanically put together ever give rise to an organism that resembled that mish-mash??? It seems far more likely that David's experiments were of the genetic and selective breeding variety
in-the-year-2000.jpg

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So at what point does David discover time travel so that he can go back in time a thousand years or so to give the predators the xenomorphs so the predators can setup the back story to the AVP movies?

I honestly wonder if Ridley even knows they made two(3 if you count the second predator movie) AVP movies set in modern times.

he does, i think i recall reading an interview once where he bemoans the existence of these 2 films

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I found this movie to be sort of fun, but ultimately a let down.

It's one of those ones that demands that you turn your brain off. If you can manage to successfully do so, you might very well enjoy this flick. If you are awake during it, I expect boredom will ensue.

Try to go to this drugged up in some way. That should help.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I've heard a lot of complaining from people about how the method of infection from the plant spores seems much more efficient than the supposedly evolved facehugger method. I don't think that's how it works though. The goo is just working differently on different DNA. The plant spore is perfectly efficient, but that was just how the DNA of the original plant was modified by the goo from the canisters David released on the planet . Whatever David infected to create the Facehugger method was completely separate from the plants. There was never any evolution from plant to facehugger.

Oldbased

> Than U
137M so far with 97m production cost. Typically the movie gets ~80-90% the first week from ticket sales then it drops considerably the 2nd week down to the 60-70% range.
So the movie has made back the production and paying off marketing at this point and by time it has run the screens and pulling in Blu-Ray/Prem fees should turn a profit although in movieland making 10-20 million after costs is not considered success for some fucked up reason. Still considering the massive fails of King Arthur and Snatched which will both take losses it looks good for another possible movie without waiting 20 years.

Fate of the Furious is the crazy one this month. Currently 11th all time and looks to easily overtake Frozen and maybe even overtake Avengers-Ultron to end up 6-8th. GotG2 is currently 82nd.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't the predator ship in predator 2 have an alien skull in it?

It's a nearly identical shape, that's for sure. But, the bone structure doesn't seem like it would be like that on a Xeno. Eye sockets throw me, I guess.

BaP5b.png

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Didn't infer it was. Was just saying about the skull.

Pretty sure nothing is canon to Aliens outside of the core movies. Even the old Dark Horse comics aren't canon.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It's a nearly identical shape, that's for sure. But, the bone structure doesn't seem like it would be like that on a Xeno. Eye sockets throw me, I guess.

View attachment 142045

yes it was supposed to be an Alien skull. one of the set designers threw it in as a joke. definitely not canon, more of a prank.

it might have been inspired by the AVP comic book which was released about a year prior

the thing is that aliens dont have a proper skull, its all tissue with a hard black shell on top

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Nonsense! Next you'll try telling me that the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comic book wasn't canon either.

spronk

FPS noob
137M so far with 97m production cost. Typically the movie gets ~80-90% the first week from ticket sales then it drops considerably the 2nd week down to the 60-70% range.
So the movie has made back the production and paying off marketing at this point and by time it has run the screens and pulling in Blu-Ray/Prem fees should turn a profit although in movieland making 10-20 million after costs is not considered success for some fucked up reason. Still considering the massive fails of King Arthur and Snatched which will both take losses it looks good for another possible movie without waiting 20 years.

Fate of the Furious is the crazy one this month. Currently 11th all time and looks to easily overtake Frozen and maybe even overtake Avengers-Ultron to end up 6-8th. GotG2 is currently 82nd.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers but they are way off.
Alien: Covenant (2017) - Box Office Mojo

Alien Prometheus Boogaloo is $45m domestic, $86m foreign for $137m WORLDWIDE. They get under 50% from foreign receipts, and much less in some markets (25% in china usually for example). So yeah, the movie is far from profitable. Usually for a movie with a $50m+ budget it has to make around 3x of the production budget in worldwide receipts to be considered "Hollywood profitable", which is all kinda bullshit anyways since they claim insane expenses as "marketing" - like they'll charge $10m for "distribution fees", which usually really costs them like $50k but they get to charge insane fees against the movie to reduce any possibility of having to pay the producers, actors, etc profit participation monies.

still once all is added up the movie should be ok, enough at least to greenlight any more alien shit Sir Ridley Scott wants to do

Oldbased

> Than U
Not sure where you are getting your numbers but they are way off.
Alien: Covenant (2017) - Box Office Mojo

Alien Prometheus Boogaloo is $45m domestic, $86m foreign for $137m WORLDWIDE. They get under 50% from foreign receipts, and much less in some markets (25% in china usually for example). So yeah, the movie is far from profitable. Usually for a movie with a $50m+ budget it has to make around 3x of the production budget in worldwide receipts to be considered "Hollywood profitable", which is all kinda bullshit anyways since they claim insane expenses as "marketing" - like they'll charge $10m for "distribution fees", which usually really costs them like $50k but they get to charge insane fees against the movie to reduce any possibility of having to pay the producers, actors, etc profit participation monies.

still once all is added up the movie should be ok, enough at least to greenlight any more alien shit Sir Ridley Scott wants to do
The first week often sees 87% to the movie, 2nd week it falls dramatically and 3rd week its closer to 50/50. If APB only saw 70% which would be freakish low contract then it would still pay for the movie at this point counting todays sales. We had this same damn discussion a year ago on some thread and while no one had an exact answer there was articles and reports and shit posted that defined it. Every studio and contract is different.
Ancient link
Economics Of The Movie Theater - Where The Money Goes And Why It Costs Us So Much | The Movie Blog
How Movie Theaters Make Money

Some contract to take 100% the first week, some opt to take 80% for 3 weeks then the foreign varies massively by country but 60%+ is a safe bet the first week.

This movie will see another 100 million or so. of which it'll get 40-50 million due to length on screens. That will finish covering marketing with ease.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There's just something about their brand of snarky assholeness that I find so charming.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users