Alien: Covenant (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't like Prometheus and I didn't like this.

I like the themes a lot. The plot is shit, and that's more important than the themes.

Also, the logic was shit.

Oldbased

> Than U
2 weeks in,
160M take worldwide, against a 100M budget, only 60ish of that in US.

Unless they really love Ridley, we can probably assume that we will be spared from the conclusion of this exciting trilogy.
It hasn't even opened in Russia and unlike Prometheus which was banned I think in China, it opens there in 11 days.
Prometheus made 22million in Russia.
This is why I keep saying it WILL make it's money back.
It is sitting at 173 WW now. Still has 5 countries to open in, 2 of which will be 20m+

Of course telling investors it barely made its money back is not very solid footing for additional movies.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The chick blowing up the ship in the beginning was LOL. It felt like a Final Destination scene. I thought it was retarded the aliens were full grown within minutes of being born. The raise the roof baby alien was retarded and unnecessary, we get it, the robot thinks he's god.

I liked the idea of the robot doing the shit he was doing for so long but it want executed very well.

I liked seeing the planet, David being insane, etc. overall it was kind of meh but enjoyable enough that I wasn't bored. Wanted it to be better than it was, but I haven't expected them to be good since the second movie really.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought it was retarded the aliens were full grown within minutes of being born.

Of course it's retarded.

They would have to eat so much in order to accumulate that much mass. Completely took me out of the movie, to the point that I stopped paying attention long enough to ask myself, "Wait, how did it grow up so quick?"

So many things in this film did not make sense.

Why wasn't this mission run in a military manner? There is no way the Weyland Corporation would invest the time and money into this mission and not put in some sort of failsafe that stops the crew from literally abandoning their mission to chase a random transmission.

Why didn't they fly drones over the signal origin before landing 90% of their crew on the planet? Why did they land 90% of the crew on the planet?

Why didn't they wear helmets onto the surface on an alien world?

Why did the aliens come out looking like full grown aliens when they didn't in the first film?

Why did the aliens grow up without eating anything?

Why did the cyborg look at the French lady from the first film as a mother figure when he did horrible bio experiments on her against her will?

Why did the engineers welcome a random ship on their planet without any radio message/control tower administration flagging the ship down? Do they just randomly get starships showing up at their city without any schedule or safety procedures?

Was there only one engineer city on the whole planet?

Was there only one engineer planet?

Ridley Scott has lost his flair. He needs to sit down and stop making movies. Dude read Paradise Lost and Ozymandias one too many times and thought he could convert those themes into a monster movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The chick blowing up the ship in the beginning was LOL. It felt like a Final Destination scene.
worse,

she was the pilot, if anyone knew exactly what and where everything was on the ship, it'd be her.

She really makes pilots look like total rere's, and ALiens has my all time fav pilot too

Ferro_6030.jpg

Ferro, fucking starcraft dropships

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It hasn't even opened in Russia and unlike Prometheus which was banned I think in China, it opens there in 11 days.
Prometheus made 22million in Russia.
This is why I keep saying it WILL make it's money back.
It is sitting at 173 WW now. Still has 5 countries to open in, 2 of which will be 20m+

Of course telling investors it barely made its money back is not very solid footing for additional movies.

All that really matters these days is china.

Goatface

don't they have to have a "partnership deal" with China to avoid the massive taxes.
studios already get a smaller cut of the foreign take, but my understand China takes a large chunk
unless promoting some Chinese interests

Oldbased

> Than U
don't they have to have a "partnership deal" with China to avoid the massive taxes.
studios already get a smaller cut of the foreign take, but my understand China takes a large chunk
unless promoting some Chinese interests
China does take a large cut, however they also do as much and most of the foreign combined in some genres.
Basically in the US the studio takes 70-100% the first few weeks then it drops down considerably. The theaters allow this because having thousands come in is massive popcorn/candy/drink sales. Once it is died down then they take up to 60% after 3-4 week mark which is nearing end of cycle.
Foreign is much less starting ~60% the first week to the studio and then lower. I assume foreign markets don't have $6 popcorn and whatnot.
China starts at roughly 50% and it only goes downhill from there, but 50% of a lot of money is a lot of money. If your movie is struggling and pops in China for 80 million, that is still 40 million bucks.

Right now this movie in particular has basically paid the production cost but little if any marketing costs, let alone investor profit. DVD/BR sales will make up much of that but China stands to be the point of it being profitable at all or just breaking even.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Watching the RLM review again. They have scenes of Daniels running around the ship, looking for ammo, screaming about meds, asking "Mother" where it is "4 meters above you..." and none of that is in the movie. Couple of other scenes that were definitely cut.

But, yeah, none of this will save this trainwreck. I want to explore the world they built, but like David, I want every single living organism in it erradicated because they are the dumbest meat sacks alive.
You shoot a monster that David is communicating with and then you go on a tour of his freakshow lab and go "He seems reasonable, this is all reasonable. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter and know more."

No, he fucking let your crew die. You shoot his fucking pet, listen to his justification for talking to it in the first place, then take 15 steps back and shoot him in the fucking head.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not only that but what the fuck is up with the whole Aliens being tamed/obedient animals now? The chest burster one was basically saluting him.

Just so much retardation in one movie.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

saw it made an estimated $28-30mil in china in its opening weekend
interesting that censors had cut around 6 mins out

Oldbased

> Than U
saw it made an estimated $28-30mil in china in its opening weekend
interesting that censors had cut around 6 mins out
I think Prometheus was never allowed to air there. China is odd about what they allow, but if it had a 50 foot robot chasing aliens, it would have been shown with dragon parades.

spronk

FPS noob
they cut all the gay robot shit out, since china will be one of the first countries in the world to put robots everywhere they don't want to give them any ideas

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user