Almost Human

Siliconemelons

When he got the gun, turned and shot him I was like "okay, that looks like a shot that would eventualy kill him- did he want him dead? or...oh nm"

Siliconemelons

Nah, I think it is just finding its footing. I do hope they can get back on to the "main plot" however.. but I think we are all hoping that this is not going to be another example of Fox messing things up.

Malkav

French Madman
Well, it has already been confirmed that the first seven episodes or so are aired out of order.

And it's kinda obvious when you see the protagonist warming up to his android in the hostages episode and this it looked like their relationship took a step back.

Goatface

well, really should not be noticeable yet
1.01 Pilot (#1.01)
1.02 ?Skin?- (#1.05)
1.03 ?Are You Receiving? ? (#1.06)
1.04 ?The Bends? ? (#1.07)
1.05 ?Blood Brothers? ? (#1.08) (December 9)
1.06 ?Arrhythmia? ? (#1.03) (December 16)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Why do they do that? I mean seriously?
Because there are times (usually when you are trying to build an audience at the beginning, or trying to get the best ratings for sweeps) when not airing a clunker is the #1 goal.

Personally, that Fox execs thought "Skin" was the best option out of at least four episodes (2, 3, 4, & 5) makes me cringe.

It also explains the sudden two week delay of the launch - "go make some better* episodes, now".

*better in exec-speak not necessarily meaning anything like quality, mind you.

Probably irrelevant in any case, as the numbers have dropped below what Bones did, AND Fox has Gang Related (basically Fast & Furious the TV show) waiting in the wings. I would guess 13 is all you get, and Gang Related takes over after the Olympics are over.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I swear if Fox fucks up another Sci Fi show I love because of airing shit out of order.... I'll.... Well, I'll sit here and be all pissed off about it because there's really nothing I can do.... But Fuck man, stop that shit.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
So there is an actual storyline with this show but they are choosing to air things out of order so that's why it doesn't seem like it?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I doubt it. We'd be able to pick up on parts of the overall storyline regardless of which order they were in, they just wouldn't make a lot of sense to us.

I still like the show regardless of overall story or not, but if ratings are that bad it won't really matter.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think there's a storyline. It's truly episodic. It'll probably get canceled which is too bad. Its easily one of the better network sci-fi shows to come out in years. Which isn't saying much because when was the last network sci-fi show? Was itactuallyfirefly? But this one is adequately written, well acted, and itlooksreally nice.

DS9 also was entirely episodic for the first two seasons. And a show like this would probably need an storyline if they hit season2 or season3. Think of S1 as pure exposition. It's presenting the characters, detailing the environment, and showing the conflicts. Later seasons deal with resolving the conflicts.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
when was the last network sci-fi show? Was itactuallyfirefly?
Dollhouse, Terminator, Flashforward, Terra Nova, Eleventh Hour, Threshold, Invasion, (arguably) Lost, (arguably) Chuck, (questionably) Journeyman - and that's just off the top of my head!

Of course, few of those shows even lived for two seasons...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it'll be episodic up until the next to last and last eps of the season finale, then we'll find out who the mole is, what that secret organization is, what all that stolen stuff is, what happened to his (ex-)gf, and why he gets a DRN (the capn assigned him darrian? knowing the first robot would be junked?)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Fringe would be the last one that lasted for any length of time. And that was plenty episodic to start with as well.

Eleventh Hour? Wasn't that the detective-type show with the female cop with big titties and the curly-haired guy (dark hair, not the Mentalist) that made all the typical weird-guy connections to solve the cases? Either one of us is confusing it with another show, or I missed the sci-fi element completely there.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Well, every detective-type show has a female cop with big titties. (Speaking of which, add Alcatraz to the list! Mmm, Sarah Jones' boobs...)

But I was referring toEleventh Hour (TV Series 2008-2009) - IMDb, which ran on CBS, Thursdays @10pm I think. Premiering the same season as Fringe (though an adaptation of a British show with Patrick Stewart that ran a couple years earlier), it was essentially Season 1 of Fringe without the mythology.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ah yeah, there have been quite a few.

I think Terminator and Fringe are the only two that really count. But that's entirely a matter of opinion and tbh I barely watched any of those that you listed so I'm probably wrong to begin with.

I suppose the elements were there but they felt more like set pieces than story elements. For this one, the black dude is an android so that's a pretty solid scifi story element.

All I mean it takes more than pew pew lazers to be scifi.

Goatface

think Defying Gravity was the last network scifi in space show which don't think abc aired the full season.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, every detective-type show has a female cop with big titties. (Speaking of which, add Alcatraz to the list! Mmm, Sarah Jones' boobs...)

But I was referring toEleventh Hour (TV Series 2008??"2009) - IMDb, which ran on CBS, Thursdays @10pm I think. Premiering the same season as Fringe (though an adaptation of a British show with Patrick Stewart that ran a couple years earlier), it was essentially Season 1 of Fringe without the mythology.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Looking back over the episode summaries, I had totally forgotten that they dealt with weird scientific stuff. I still never really considered it sci-fi, but I can see where you are coming from. I really liked that show too.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Show is quickly getting too self-contained for my tastes. All the world-building and characterization and scene setting is great, but good writers can do all these things while telling a 'main' story. Not to mention all these things are pretty fucked anyhow because of showing everything out of order. In theory, the world and characters were presented in order, to create order, and out of order things are quickly feeling less like progression of any kind, which makes the characters feel stereotypes of themselves and everything that came before that we'll compare them to as we fill things in for ourselves that aren't being filled in by a sense of progression in any singular direction.

In short, I feel like I'm watching a pilot over and over, and even with the high production value, good acting, and decent self-contained writing, am not really eager to ever see the next episode until I have nothing better to do.