Altered Carbon

khorum

Murder Apologist
So, I read the Kovach books, and they are some of my favorites ever. I realize they might not be the best 'writing' ever, but I love the hardcore sci fi, high technology, cyberpunk style.. and these were the best I'd read since Neuromancer (my favorite) to scratch that itch. Other 'cyberpunk' genre stuff isn't always set in a far future with advanced tech. Like, tech that is almost magic with how advanced it is.

Are any of the other ones he wrote in the same universe as the kovach books by chance? Or, as similarly advanced technologically, just different?
Not in the same universe, but his Black Man novel (and the upcoming Thin Air sequel) is a near-future cyberpunk novel about genetically enhanced hyper-male humans (the "Thirteen") who were sent to UN internment camps and ostracized after winning the wars they were built to fight.

It was written YEARS ago but it anticipated A LOT of the modern faultlines between betamales, aggressive feminism and the raw corrosiveness of toxic masculinity. It's Morgan's best shit... way better than his Steel Remains series.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
yea, I'll probably get around to it and enjoy reading it, but the 'near future' setting is never my absolute favorite. I'm hoping to find some more gems along the lines of Altered Carbon/Neuromancer.

khorum

Murder Apologist
yea, I'll probably get around to it and enjoy reading it, but the 'near future' setting is never my absolute favorite. I'm hoping to find some more gems along the lines of Altered Carbon/Neuromancer.
It's more or less around the same "near-future" area as Neuromancer, with human colonies on Mars and advanced genetic manipulation etc.

It's definitely not far future like Woken Furies/Market Forces etc, but it's a waaaay better book imo.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know you're more invested in Altered Carbon, and it's moot since the show is due out soon... but you'd have to admit Black Man/Thirteen is BY FAR his better work.
I had this handle long before black man came out, I love that book too, it is possibly better, but I have a thing for the Kovach setting and ideas, not sure I can say from a personal perspective which is better, black man is deeper. But I also really like market forces and even really enjoyed a land fit for heroes, especially once you realize it is connected to the Kovach books, even vaguely. I'm super excited for thin air. Morgan is one of the few authors like bakker and Sanderson where I'll drop whatever and read his new stuff. It is also fun to drop in on his Twitter to see him tell religious people to play in traffic.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
New trailer out, actually looks decent? Little more action-oriented than I remember the books being, but who knows if that's just the trailer being cut that way.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
they had a super weird booth at CES, it was a closed booth with an entrance and exit. You walked in and super hot model chicks all dressed in white would talk about these weird plastic men and women in plexiglass saying how you can buy a sleeve blah blah blah and they wouldn't break character even if you told them you knew it was for altered carbon. It was in the shitty part of CES too (China man land) but I think it'll make the press a few times, hopefully raise the exposure of the show.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I heard about that. Great example of marketing in action.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The books were super violent when shit went down. I am pumped.
I just finished the first book, part way through the second. Yeah, the books are super duper violent. Incredibly violent and with extremely graphic sex scenes. Great fucking reads. First work of legit fiction I have read with ass eating in it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I just read all the books somewhat recently, if you don't remember them being violent/action packed.. it's been awhile since you read them. Main dude is the most elite special ops ever created, of course there is a ton of action.

New trailer looks great. Seems they are following the book relatively closely, which is fine. The visuals look amazing. Really stoked for this, and hope it does well.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watching the behind the scenes trialer, unless I misheard or they mispoke it sounds like they decided to change Envoys into a group that fought the Protectorate to end immortality? I really hope they didn't fuck this up.

It's more or less around the same "near-future" area as Neuromancer, with human colonies on Mars and advanced genetic manipulation etc.

It's definitely not far future like Woken Furies/Market Forces etc, but it's a waaaay better book imo.

I'm the opposite, I found Black Man to be mediocre and entirely forgettable while I've re-read Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies multiple times.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Finishing up Woken Furies now. Some of the ideas and tech presented in this book are far fucking out. I like the idea of digitized consciousness, although I think it would impact society far more than it does in the books. I think that Envoy intuition is going to be a hard thing to get across in the show.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
I just finished the first book, part way through the second. Yeah, the books are super duper violent. Incredibly violent and with extremely graphic sex scenes. Great fucking reads. First work of legit fiction I have read with ass eating in it.

Sold!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Watching the behind the scenes trialer, unless I misheard or they mispoke it sounds like they decided to change Envoys into a group that fought the Protectorate to end immortality? I really hope they didn't fuck this up.

I'm the opposite, I found Black Man to be mediocre and entirely forgettable while I've re-read Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies multiple times.

Man, I found that behind the scenes video, and holy shit, it looks like they're going to fuck it up. Why couldn't they have just stuck to the source material? It's not like it was difficult to digest and enjoy. I've read the series once, and listen to it about once a year, and it's by far one of my favorite scifi series. Was excited as hell to hear this was coming out, but fuck. Bet they're going to cut all of the Envoy training and Innenin beachhead flashbacks with Jimmy Desoto, which completely fucks with the main plot.

Fuck, I bet there's nothing about Mars and the Martians in the whole show.

Watch at your own peril:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The Martian stuff in the first book was pretty low key anyway.

I have to say, having just finished the last book and come to terms with the fact that there's no more, that trailer does not fill me with anticipation. The Envoy Corps were fucking awesome, amazing badasses, and it was great that he didn't translate that into superpowers in the book, it was subtle but at the same time incredibly intimidating.

I've only seen one review so far and it didn't tell much. We will see, I guess.