amanda berry found..more importantly, awesome black man in cleveland.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Read a bit of this thread but just wanted to add this:

For whatever reason, I think some cops like to use the whole "privacy" thing as an excuse to just not do their job. I was across the country with family at one point (on my birthday) and my boyfriend hadn't called me to say Happy BIrthday. (Lived in CA.) He has type 1 diabetes, and so, knowing this (but probably also being paranoid) I am antsy about the fact that he hasn't called and isn't answering my phone calls.

I call the police department, tell them he has diabetes, tell them he has been known to have seizures that render him unconscious and often with broken bones, and to please check on him. I was very specific in saying that it was quite possible he was unconscious if he had had a seizure, so they would need to probably enter the apartment if no one answered.

What happened was that they went to the house, knocked a few times, put a post it on the door and left. That was how the ambulance found it when they arrived. The BF had had a seizure, had dislocated and broken the bones in one of his arms and knocked himself out. Amazingly, he regained consciousness later and called 911. So he was practically in a diabetic coma on the fucking floor and the cops just turned around and left. I should also mention that I left my number and specifically asked that they call me to let me know if he was alright. I only found out what had happened many hours later when I received a phone call from the emergency room.

If there's any indication or any reasonable thought for you to enter a home to prevent a crime or a death, fucking take it. I am absolutely astounded that shit like these women being held happens, all because why? We don't want to invade people's privacy? Someone reported suspicious behavior. Look that shit up.

On topic, I am relatively against the death penalty. I just don't think it's warranted in most cases and seems like the easy way out. Not sure life in prison is really good enough for these fucks either, but maybe something like solitary confinement would be.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you understand just how stupid society is and how abused gov/social services are.

The death penalty is being talked about due to him beating the girl(s) until they miscarried. They are calling that murder.
As they should. After all, life begins at conception.

wink.png

Because that is just what I think, that they will just shrug it off. And I said that, ever. Perceptive as ever, Professor Cutlery.
Wait so you think fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan ismoredamaging than being imprisoned in a rape dungeon as a child for over a decade?

Seriously, you're a weird dude chaos.

Tummysticks

Lord Nagafen Raider

For whatever reason, I think some cops like to use the whole "privacy" thing as an excuse to just not do their job. I was across the country with family at one point (on my birthday) and my boyfriend hadn't called me to say Happy BIrthday. (Lived in CA.) He has type 1 diabetes, and so, knowing this (but probably also being paranoid) I am antsy about the fact that he hasn't called and isn't answering my phone calls.

I call the police department, tell them he has diabetes, tell them he has been known to have seizures that render him unconscious and often with broken bones, and to please check on him. I was very specific in saying that it was quite possible he was unconscious if he had had a seizure, so they would need to probably enter the apartment if no one answered.

What happened was that they went to the house, knocked a few times, put a post it on the door and left. That was how the ambulance found it when they arrived. The BF had had a seizure, had dislocated and broken the bones in one of his arms and knocked himself out. Amazingly, he regained consciousness later and called 911. So he was practically in a diabetic coma on the fucking floor and the cops just turned around and left. I should also mention that I left my number and specifically asked that they call me to let me know if he was alright. I only found out what had happened many hours later when I received a phone call from the emergency room.

If there's any indication or any reasonable thought for you to enter a home to prevent a crime or a death, fucking take it. I am absolutely astounded that shit like these women being held happens, all because why? We don't want to invade people's privacy? Someone reported suspicious behavior. Look that shit up.

On topic, I am relatively against the death penalty. I just don't think it's warranted in most cases and seems like the easy way out. Not sure life in prison is really good enough for these fucks either, but maybe something like solitary confinement would be.
Firsthand perspective from a cop:

You call my dispatcher and ask us to check on your boyfriend because of all that ^ stuff. We go to his house and get no answer at the door and can't see anything through the windows so we force our way into the house by breaking a window or kicking in the front door. As we're searching the house for your boyfriend he comes storming out of a back room wondering what the hell is going on. If we're lucky, he doesn't have a shotgun in his hands.

Come to find out, he lost his phone and was asleep in the back bedroom and didn't hear (or ignored) the knocking at the door. Then he notices the broken window/door jamb and starts demanding to know who's going to pay for that? Do you live with your boyfriend? Were you authorized to tell us to make entry? Is that in dispute? Were you just calling in a prank on an estranged ex? Does it take litigation to establish these things?

Sure, one door isn't gonna break the county's pocket, but we gethundredsof these types of calls every month and a very small percentage of them are legit emergencies.

I'm not the one who went that route.
Well you sort of did.

You said this:

They [the girls] will be ok in time.
But then someone mentioned other people [soliders coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan] who were definitely not ok in time. And your only counter-argument was that "shrug off" was a strawman. I agree completely that that's a stupid strawman, but you've left the point hanging out there. How do you reconcile your belief that time will cure these wounds with the fact that we have many many examples of (seemingly) much less severe psychic wounds not healing with time without simply rejecting the premise that the girls had it worse than those examples?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There isn't really a counter argument to that. Someone said that some soldiers coming back from war have difficulty adjusting. Okay...? I don't see the connection. The circumstances aren't remotely comparable, and the vast majority of returning soldiers DO adjust to life back home, even if it takes help in some cases. I don't know about "cure those wounds" but like I said, they will be okay.

Someone said that some soldiers coming back from war have difficulty adjusting. Okay...? I don't see the connection.
Someone said that some soldiers coming back from war kill themselves. The connection is that even what they went through (probably) doesn't even remotely come up to the level of damage inflicted on these girls. That makes this sort of glib assertion that they'll be ok eventually look kind of silly. It looks like you're trying to hold on to this risible point about there being no fate worse than death no matter what evidence is put in front of your face.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sure, some soldiers coming back from war kill themselves. Again, nothing to do with what happened to these girls, and really kind of beside the point. Some people who play water polo kill themselves. Hell, we have other high profile abduction cases to compare them to. I remain optimistic. What "evidence" do you imagine there now is that being freed from captivity is "a fate worse than death?" I hate these stupid platitudes that people latch on to and substitute for life experience so they can pretend they are worldly.

Sure, some soldiers coming back from war kill themselves. Again, nothing to do with what happened to these girls, and really kind of beside the point.
Yeah you're right. Two instances of someone watching/participating in scenes of horror are totally unrelated.

Some people who play water polo kill themselves. Hell, we have other high profile abduction cases to compare them to. I remain optimistic. What "evidence" do you imagine there now is that being freed from captivity is "a fate worse than death?" I hate these stupid platitudes that people latch on to and substitute for life experience so they can pretend they are worldly.
Yeah it's the being freed part that's the fate worse than death. You got it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They are totally unrelated. Are you trying to say that every single negative experience is somehow comparable? That is silly.

Bad shit happened to them. Bad shit happens to lots of people all over the world, even extreme shit like this. And people overcome it. Back when I was in high school I went to hear a holocaust victim talk, she was imprisoned for 8 years and starved and beaten and raped and forced to watch her friends murdered and raped. Hearing her tell the story was awful, but leaving I wasn't struck by how much she suffered but by how much she overcame.

They are totally unrelated. Are you trying to say that every single negative experience is somehow comparable? That is silly.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to say. You're really good at this. You should form some kind of debate league.

Bad shit happened to them. Bad shit happens to lots of people all over the world, even extreme shit like this. And people overcome it. Back when I was in high school I went to hear a holocaust victim talk, she was imprisoned for 8 years and starved and beaten and raped and forced to watch her friends murdered and raped. Hearing her tell the story was awful, but leaving I wasn't struck by how much she suffered but by how much she overcame.
Well, then I guess we know that these girls will be just fine.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Do you have any actual evidence that they won't besides just enjoying being contrary on the internet?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Seriously? You think police should kick down someone's door and basically invade their home because they didn't call their girlfriend on their birthday? You're also blaming them because he doesn't keep track of his blood sugar which is also ridiculous.

Do you have any actual evidence that they won't besides just enjoying being contrary on the internet?
You mean besides all those soldiers killing themselves? Or by "evidence" do you mean "proof?"

Does that standard (whichever it is) apply for statements like:

They will be ok in time.
Should I ask you for your evidence of that or should we just let this little bit of stupidity slide into the past without further comment?

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
My experience working 32 years in a State Prison as a CO.. I've only met one inmate who preferred death over life in prison. When push comes to shove the majority would prefer life. At least from what I have seen first hand. Either way what happened to these women is just plain sick, I hope they can lead somewhat normal lives after this

iannis

Musty Nester
That isn't murder?
Well you can't have that one both ways. If that's murder so is abortion. Abortion is a less violent and more precise form of the same action.

It's not even like the same thing. It is physically the exact same thing.

Performing abortions on the unwilling is illegal and unethical, but it isn't murder.

Edit: Usually -- sometimes DA's do make that charge and sometimes they are able to convict on it. But that's more a political question than a legal question. I remember 3 cases offhand and remember at least 1 of them convicted on murder.