American Horror Story: Coven

Caliane

or, something else.
Zoe being an actual succubus would be amusing.

the voodoo ladys comment suggested unexpected power. double the power, not simply a transition of power.

Fiona framing the redhead was expected. as well as the burning.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What the fuck was that shit.

Maybe it's just me being a parent, but I started to tear up when Jessica Lange made the mother hold her still born child. Holy shit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it really shows when you cast a heavy hitter of an actress like bates in with a bunch of rank amateurs. she is totally running away with this show. and i love it. one nitpick. they are overusing the fuck out of that last second rescue trope. how many people in that one zombie sequence were about to get killed and were saved at the last second with a poker, chainsaw, pots and pans, etc?

Caliane

Chainsaw was the worst. They are not quiet. its just cheating to have it make no noise for the audience.

And yeah, that was padded out poorly. Chainsaw should have been cut. Poker and killing her daughters had to stay in some manner. but in general, alot more running away. and one single death touch would have been better.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
actually, while i think obvious chainsaw is obvious... it makes sense in this case. There is no way for a skinny bitch like zoe to take down more than 1 zombie without getting tired. Give her an axe... she'll hack away at one zombie and get tired, a bat? same thing, she's all bones. but a chainsaw that does all the work and she just has to swing... sad to say, it's practical in this case.

you noticed precious didn't look at the witch when she stuck her hand in acid?

i don't think jessica lange framed that witch, i think she actually threw acid in foxy's face but jessica lange wanted her burned to just provide overwhelming evidence, and when confronted with it all the witch was just like, oh damn.

i still think zoe, next supreme is too obvious

what was that new power? it wasn't mind control cuz they ain't got no minds (nan said she couldn't hear them so they got no minds), maybe it's not witches power she has but blood related voodoo powers without casting spells.

favorite line this eps? "and get me a coke"

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That force push is still just a tk ability. Just a much more powerful version. They have shown force pushes several times already. Its slightly different because she did it to a zombie which broke the focus of the witch controlling it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
She said something, though. "Being of Nature" or something like that. I don't think it's the same as a TK ability. I think she somehow just wiped out the "undead" side of it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea zoe didn't do tk, it's like she severed voodoo witches connection to the zombies or her spell, like she wasn't talking to the zombie but talking through the zombie to the voodoo witch. (even tho she probably doesn't know what she was doing)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i saw that as her TK powers overrode the hoodoo woman's TK powers over her zombies. i guess its up to interpretation. but the hoodoo woman was shocked there was a (TK) power that superseded hers, not so much that it was a new kind of power she didnt understand.
but yes i do agree that whatever zoe did, it broke the connection to the zombies.

Caliane

ok. lets see.

necromancy?
Fiona already walked into hoodoo saloon and threw her weight around. hoodoo lady going zomg TK, makes no sense. It has to be something else.
Also, Fiona can bring the dead back to life, and so can Stevie nicks. So has to be something different from that. So, control of the undead or something perhaps. Severing hoodoo lady's connection. Bringing Kyle or whatever his name was not quite back from the dead.

And yeah, redhead WAS guilty I think. I don't see any reason to think Fiona's flashbacks/story were unreliable narrator. its possible we were just seeing what Fiona as saying, but actually showing us, implies it was true. Sure, magically disguised to look like redhead is possible.. but stretching given no real reason to doubt.
not simply reassuring Queenie that she was in fact guilty, is a bit odd.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The first time we see Zoe's capabilities is when she was able to 'call of the hero' Steve Nicks in the car with Zombie BF.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The first time we see Zoe's capabilities is when she was able to 'call of the hero' Steve Nicks in the car with Zombie BF.
i just thought that stevie nicks just wandered into the car (cuz of some bond)... but now the COH angle makes more sense.

velk

Trakanon Raider
She said something, though. "Being of Nature" or something like that. I don't think it's the same as a TK ability. I think she somehow just wiped out the "undead" side of it.
Yeah, I just re-ran that a couple of times to try and work out what she said, without much success - it's definintely 'Be......nature' but the bit in the middle isn't clear.

Caliane

Stevie nicks ALSO showed up at the redhead witches body. I think thats more Stevie nicks having some ability to know witch related death or rebirth or something.

Also, yeah went back and tried to make out what Zoe says. Can't. Be in nature or something if english. I am not entirely sure it WAS English. Google isn't helping find an answer.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If you have it DVR'd can you rewatch it with closed captioning turned on?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea that sounds like her hidden voodoo powers activated, cuz that sounds like an incantation. or maybe she's a white voodoo, as a contrast to precious being a black witch

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I dunno, it seems to me that the difference is mainly cultural. I don't think witch/voodoo magic are being portrayed as fundamentally different forces, just the same force being utilized through different methods/for different purposes/with different cultural trappings.

What I find interesting is the question of whether there are other forms of magic within the setting. I doubt it'll be touched on in the series, for obvious reasons, but if witchcraft is female magic and voodoo is black magic, are there male european wizards or something? Do other cultures, asian, etc. each have their own magic system?