Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
ive seen people talking about low ticket presales for GotG3. i cant imagine that one flops, but the MCU is really hurting. that Marvels film will likely flop too. if GotG 3 is the one that does well. MCU is still in a lot of trouble. they are lucky DC is in a shittier position than they are. they have a chance to bury Marvel, but they cant help themselves they keep hiring assholes who put shit in their movies talking about Batman being a fascist. shit is going down.

The budgets are out of control. They can keep this going but it's not going to be the old days.

They really need to get the budgets down if they want to stop the box office bombs. It creates negative press when they spent 200m that's disclosed, which is far more in reality, and the movie can't break even.

Or it breaks even like Dwayne Johnson's movie "made money". "Hey guys I got some news, Black Adam made money" Twitter post. "it made 56,000 dollars it's a success".

You know what they say....if you need to say it...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
What's theatrical engagements? What ever that is, its lowest of the three.
From the site:

"Note: A theatrical engagement is defined as the movie playing in a single theater for one week. So, for example, a film that plays in 3,000 theaters in its first week and 2,000 theaters in its second week will have had 5,000 theatrical engagements"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The budgets are out of control. They can keep this going but it's not going to be the old days.

They really need to get the budgets down if they want to stop the box office bombs. It creates negative press when they spent 200m that's disclosed, which is far more in reality, and the movie can't break even.

Or it breaks even like Dwayne Johnson's movie "made money". "Hey guys I got some news, Black Adam made money" Twitter post. "it made 56,000 dollars it's a success".

You know what they say....if you need to say it...
Yeah. I read an unrelated article talking about how the first ant-man did pretty well with like a $550 million box office or whatever it was. I was like, wait that's about what ant-man 3's box office is but everyone is saying it was a hard flop. So I looked at the budgets and they were saying that ant-man 3 would have needed something like $725 million just to break even.

Theatres are still recovering from the COVID era of just streaming movies instead and they okay'd THAT high of a budget? Ignore the fact that despite Paul rudd being an internet darling, the ant-man movies only have like $500 million and change box offices and someone said, screw it, raise the budget we're going balls deep!

Along with everyone else, I loved the MCU right up till end game, but they've been losing their lustre pretty consistently for a while. Slow down, lower the budgets significantly and force these directors to be creative on how they solve these issues.

It's that dichotomy between lower budget movies like star wars a new hope and money is no object star wars phantom menace. When movie makers just get carte blanche on what they are making, they stop being forced to think critically on how to stretch each dollar as much as possible.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah. I read an unrelated article talking about how the first ant-man did pretty well with like a $550 million box office or whatever it was. I was like, wait that's about what ant-man 3's box office is but everyone is saying it was a hard flop. So I looked at the budgets and they were saying that ant-man 3 would have needed something like $725 million just to break even.

Theatres are still recovering from the COVID era of just streaming movies instead and they okay'd THAT high of a budget? Ignore the fact that despite Paul rudd being an internet darling, the ant-man movies only have like $500 million and change box offices and someone said, screw it, raise the budget we're going balls deep!

Along with everyone else, I loved the MCU right up till end game, but they've been losing their lustre pretty consistently for a while. Slow down, lower the budgets significantly and force these directors to be creative on how they solve these issues.

It's that dichotomy between lower budget movies like star wars a new hope and money is no object star wars phantom menace. When movie makers just get carte blanche on what they are making, they stop being forced to think critically on how to stretch each dollar as much as possible.
the first Ant Man film had some issues because it was supposed to be an Edgar Wright film. he was the one who made it a thing. nobody was even thinking of doing Ant man, but Wright wanted it and it was going to be a typical Edgar Wright film. which is to say full of jokes and well written, then Feige got in his ass about wanting it to have more tie ins to the MCU storyline. so Wright quit/got fired when he refused. then they had another director come in to finish the film the MCU way. you can still see Wright's influences. some no doubt carried over to AM2. AM3 seems to be nothing like what Wright intended and so it flopped.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
but Wright wanted it and it was going to be a typical Edgar Wright film. which is to say full of jokes and well written,

Marvel could use a phase or 2 where they just make movies again, but they think (correctly or incorrectly, I am not 100% sure) that people want everything to build to something, which is what phase 2 and 3 taught the audiences to expect. Phase One movies are still most of the top of people's lists, and they were just movies about some super heroes, with a post credit scene with nick fury. Phase 4 should have been that, but with the Blip, or just after the Blip. Kind of like Black Widow, but better.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Marvel could use a phase or 2 where they just make movies again, but they think (correctly or incorrectly, I am not 100% sure) that people want everything to build to something, which is what phase 2 and 3 taught the audiences to expect. Phase One movies are still most of the top of people's lists, and they were just movies about some super heroes, with a post credit scene with nick fury. Phase 4 should have been that, but with the Blip, or just after the Blip. Kind of like Black Widow, but better.

People do want everything to build up to something, but they want quality movies far more.

Marvel's been giving us neither

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
From the site:

"Note: A theatrical engagement is defined as the movie playing in a single theater for one week. So, for example, a film that plays in 3,000 theaters in its first week and 2,000 theaters in its second week will have had 5,000 theatrical engagements"
Not to derail this, but I'm trying to figure out what the fuck kind of movie theater plays a new release for a week and then drops it?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not to derail this, but I'm trying to figure out what the fuck kind of movie theater plays a new release for a week and then drops it?
what i think happens is, the movie is still playing at a theater, but perhaps not the multiple screens they had opening weekend. say they had 4 screens and an Imax, that may get reduced to 2 standard screens the following week if a new big movie gets released.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Most movies go from 2 to 3 to 1 after a week, and tentpole releases tend to go from 4 to 2, and giant blockbusters may open at like 6 or 8 and drop to like 3 or 2, depending on the size of the theater.

But like at my 16 theater AMC, the big movie of the week will get the Dolby and the fake IMax, plus like 2 to 4 other theaters depending on how big it is. Then after week one, the Dolby and fake IMax will generally go to the new week's big movie, so that's already 2 down. Movies that have "Filmed with IMax" can get longer engagements (like Top Gun and Avatar last year, Suzume is actually in there for a second week here at mine), but almost nothing keeps the Dolby for longer than one week unless they are smart enough to release with a buffer week from another blockbuster (Mario kept it for 2 weeks until Evil Dead Rise takes over tonight).

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really liked the first 2 Ant-Man movies but this one was a letdown for sure. It really lacked the humor that made the first 2 good. As well as missing his sidekicks. It just felt slow, long and drawn out.

Majors did a great job as Kang. I didnt mind how they treated MODOK. Hes such a weird character so why not. But this was a bummer of a movie to start P5.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Most movies go from 2 to 3 to 1 after a week, and tentpole releases tend to go from 4 to 2, and giant blockbusters may open at like 6 or 8 and drop to like 3 or 2, depending on the size of the theater.

But like at my 16 theater AMC, the big movie of the week will get the Dolby and the fake IMax, plus like 2 to 4 other theaters depending on how big it is. Then after week one, the Dolby and fake IMax will generally go to the new week's big movie, so that's already 2 down. Movies that have "Filmed with IMax" can get longer engagements (like Top Gun and Avatar last year, Suzume is actually in there for a second week here at mine), but almost nothing keeps the Dolby for longer than one week unless they are smart enough to release with a buffer week from another blockbuster (Mario kept it for 2 weeks until Evil Dead Rise takes over tonight).

In that case, I think the confusion is "theatre" being used for each individual screen and not the entire place

Goatface

theater count is theater count. screen count is listed sometimes, but i don't know of any site that tracts it. avatar 2 opened at 4200ish theaters on over 12,000 screens. there are still small theaters with just a few screens that just show a movie for a week or two.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Can't decide if I even want to pirate this one. I've only watched Shang Chi, Black Widow, and Spider-man from phase 4. I really do think I'm just done with MCU completely.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Can't decide if I even want to pirate this one. I've only watched Shang Chi, Black Widow, and Spider-man from phase 4. I really do think I'm just done with MCU completely.
This is pretty much where I am. Huge Dr Strange fan, loved the first movie. Didn't watch or even pirate the second. Loved the first Antman, and liked the second, didn't watch or even pirate the third. Already know Marvels will be a hard pass, and GOTG3 is around a 50/50 for me right now just because (as mentioned elsewhere) I think Gunn was more interested in burning down the playground he had built since he won't be around to play in it anymore....

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

LOL same.

Was trying to find something new to watch on torrents 2 days ago, came across this and decided it wasnt worth a free download.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm sure I'll watch this at some point but I'm having a hard time mustering up any fucks to give about it. GotG is the only upcoming MCU thing I really even give a shit about.

Fadaar

That guy
I saw it in theaters and tbh I can't think of any reason to watch it if you've caught the cliff notes here