Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In Quantumania, Ant-Man gets beat up a lot and then his female counterparts (Wasp AND the daughter) no-sell everyone while being way more effective at everything,
that's not really true though. first off with wasp, she was the one who trained scott how to fight, so she SHOULD be better than him. secondly, they made it pretty obvious that cassie was learning on the job. the first half of the movie she couldn't hurt anyone. they specifically showed her bouncing off the people she was trying to punch because she wasn't doing it right. at the end when she goes giant-man, she barely does anything and gets weak (from being giant) way faster than scott. he doesn't even seem light-headed and he was a giant for like 10x longer than cassie AND he was running around breaking stuff, getting shot at, etc.

sometimes it feels like anytime you guys see a woman do ANYTHING you get all bent out of shape. there are plenty of movies where the female supplants the male and makes him look like a chump, this wasn't one of them.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Mandriana

I save so much money not going to movies anymore. I used to watch every Marvel movie and some others each year. Top Gun Maverick was my last theater experience.

Industry can keep on making trash and I can just keep on waiting for it to just come on a stream service because the quality does not rate the cost for me to watch it in a theater.
Add me to the list. Me and the wife would go see 2-3 movies a month. Then COVID and the movie wokeness hit like a fastball to the dick, so we stopped going. The last four movies we saw in theaters were, Endgame, Spiderman No Way Home, Dune, and TG Maverick. Probably won't see another movie in the theater until Dune part 2.

Instead me and the wife are enjoying season tickets to the symphony instead.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
that's not really true though. first off with wasp, she was the one who trained scott how to fight, so she SHOULD be better than him. secondly, they made it pretty obvious that cassie was learning on the job. the first half of the movie she couldn't hurt anyone. they specifically showed her bouncing off the people she was trying to punch because she wasn't doing it right. at the end when she goes giant-man, she barely does anything and gets weak (from being giant) way faster than scott. he doesn't even seem light-headed and he was a giant for like 10x longer than cassie AND he was running around breaking stuff, getting shot at, etc.

sometimes it feels like anytime you guys see a woman do ANYTHING you get all bent out of shape. there are plenty of movies where the female supplants the male and makes him look like a chump, this wasn't one of them.
This is complete bullshit.

Show me a single screenshot where any one of the three chicks who get into combat, ends up with a bloody nose, black eye, or any other evidence of being in a fight.

Just one screenshot. I'll wait.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

This is complete bullshit.

Show me a single screenshot where any one of the three chicks who get into combat, ends up with a bloody nose, black eye, or any other evidence of being in a fight.

Just one screenshot. I'll wait.
what a silly litmus test for a disney owned property.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
what a silly litmus test for a disney owned property.
a disney owned movie in which the title (male) character gets beaten bloody through half the film.

I dunno where I come up with these silly litmus tests

• 1Like

j00t

a disney owned movie in which the title (male) character gets beaten bloody through half the film.

I dunno where I come up with these silly litmus tests
no. the only blood in the film is one scene where modok's face is bloody and at the end where kang beats on scott. all 3 of the main characters who get in fights have helmets on EXCEPT for when kang curb stomps scott, at which point he gets a bloody nose and scratches on his face

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
no. the only blood in the film is one scene where modok's face is bloody and at the end where kang beats on scott. all 3 of the main characters who get in fights have helmets on EXCEPT for when kang curb stomps scott, at which point he gets a bloody nose and scratches on his face
Futurama Squinting GIF

• 1Like

j00t

Holy shit this movie is tanking fast, only 11-12 mil this weekend
i think the second and third phases of marvel REALLY messed up people's perceptions of tanking and succeeding. not that i'm defending this movie, i thought it was alright but that has nothing to do with what i'm currently saying. marvel movies were all tied together so it really felt like you needed to watch all of them, which really, was never the case they just marketed it that way and it felt right. when you looked at pretty much any other movie outside of like, avatar, titanic and (for some odd reason) the fast and furious movies, as long as you made double the budget it was considered a success. so Blade, for example, made $131 million with a budget of $45 million and everyone was happy with that. nowadays, if a movie doesn't do $600 million AT LEAST everyone calls it a flop.

Covid reset a lot of that in the sense that people aren't going to the theatre 5 or 6 times to see the same movie. they aren't even going 5 or 6 times a year. the only time i've been to the theatre in 2022 was to see dr strange 2, top gun maverick, and a minion movie (took my kids when i was in town to see them). this year i took my mom to see avatar and that's PROBABLY the only thing i'll see in theatres this year unless some sleeper hit comes out or something... everything slated for this year is totally a "see it at home" kind of movie.

i think people have gone back to that mentality but haven't changed their ideas around judging a bomb vs a hit based on box office returns.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's tanking really bad compared to actual good movies that have come out. Look at Spiderman, or maverick and how long the were consistent for 2 months. Eternals, black widow, just weren't appealing but Strange, Thor, and Ant man had huge hype and massive sale drops after the second week.

j00t

It's tanking really bad compared to actual good movies that have come out. Look at Spiderman, or maverick and how long the were consistent for 2 months. Eternals, black widow, just weren't appealing but Strange, Thor, and Ant man had huge hype and massive sale drops after the second week.
i mean, yeah you just said it's not doing well compared to 2 of the highest grossing movies in recent memory. that's my point, we're judging the success of average movies based on movies that made a billion dollars.

Edit: i'd argue that the majority of the MCU movies that were making a billion dollars weren't good enough movies on their own to be making that much, they were just tied to the franchise so it felt like you NEEDED to go see it. people don't feel that way anymore and we're seeing that in the returns

Final Edit: i think the reason for the second week drop is because there are still marvel fanbois that go opening week, but the rest of the world doesn't particularly care so they aren't in the same rush. ignore the opening week box office and start paying attention to the kinds of drops from second to third. i think that could be a much better metric, but who knows

Last edited:

Homsar

If the movies were actually good they wouldn't be having insane drop offs like the are. They are going to still make money but they are running everything into the ground like they did with the new star wars. Mando is the only thing holding up SW right now and I would be surprised if they didn't make sure hes in a future movie

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Ant-Man made like 520 mil.
Ant-Man and the Wasp made 620 mil but also was between Infinity War and Endgame. It's never been the biggest franchise moneymaker. Which is why they took CGI time from this and moved it to Wakanda Forever. I think overall it will still do fine. We will still most likely get an Ant-Man 4 as well.

• 1Like

Homsar

Ant-Man made like 520 mil.
Ant-Man and the Wasp made 620 mil but also was between Infinity War and Endgame. It's never been the biggest franchise moneymaker. Which is why they took CGI time from this and moved it to Wakanda Forever. I think overall it will still do fine. We will still most likely get an Ant-Man 4 as well.
Majority of every marvel movie is huge opening weekend and nothing after lately, they will have their 300-400 globally the first weekend and die off. They are hard to watch all the way through and definitely not worth a rewatch. It has nothing to do with building up phases. Most people will still watch IM1, Winter soldier, GoTG 1, Ragnarok and it had nothing to do with setting up the next phases and building up the universe.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Maybe I was seeing something that wasn't there. You'll forgive me for expecting Wasp to make Ant-Man look like a chump at every turn when the same thing happened in Thor 4 and Strange 2 (Female Captain America and Scarlet Witch were vastly more effective than any of the men, who were mostly there to get jobbed out like jokes). Same in Loki. I mean I watched Loki get kicked in the balls over and over again by a relatively minor female character as a "hilarious gag" in that show. So when I see Wasp being way more effective against Kang than Ant-Man, it's "here we go again" instead of liking it because Wasp is a bad-ass character.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I was seeing something that wasn't there. You'll forgive me for expecting Wasp to make Ant-Man look like a chump at every turn when the same thing happened in Thor 4 and Strange 2 (Female Captain America and Scarlet Witch were vastly more effective than any of the men, who were mostly there to get jobbed out like jokes). Same in Loki. I mean I watched Loki get kicked in the balls over and over again by a relatively minor female character as a "hilarious gag" in that show. So when I see Wasp being way more effective against Kang than Ant-Man, it's "here we go again" instead of liking it because Wasp is a bad-ass character.

You're not, there was even precedent within the Antman franchise for Wasp to show up Antman in AM2.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Im sorry, but if you remember correctly it was Hope Van Dyne that taught Scott Lang to fight in the first Ant Man so yes I would expect her to be as good as (if not better) of a fighter than him. Yes, I understand that the women in movies now day are OP and can never lose, but in this case it actually makes sense.

• 1EyeRoll