Ant Man. July 2015

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Echoing what the others have said, great movie, a lot of fun to watch. Certainly didn't feel like two hours long either. I agree that it isn't Iron Man or GotG good, or even Winter Soldier/Avengers, but different in its own way and still quite good. Easily an 8/10 for me.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I didn't like that the big laughs in the form of Thomas the Tank scene were put into the trailer. There were still "some" laughs in the theaters, but nothing like it would have gotten previously.
"That's an ugly dog." was pretty damn funny, though.

Paul did a great job in the role. I never would have imagined him in an action role prior to this, but he did a great job in the various fight scenes they had.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Ant-Man was really good...I feel like it was a bit of a cross between the first Iron Man story with a bit of the Guardians of the Galaxy humor. While I would place it slightly behind both of those, it's a strong movie that anyone could watch without knowing anything about the rest of the Marvel movies. Girlfriend liked it, too, which was a nice bonus.
Just got back from watching it. echoing this basically.

I had to drag several co-workers to see this since nobody even knew about this movie and the premise/concept of "ant-man" was completely lost on them. Even the "marvel" brand wasn't enough to sell it to them, but they aren't the type of people who can distinguish between Marvel Studios/disney and the marvel properties of Fox and Sony.

1 co worker thought it was corny. the other 2 were dying laughing.

It's a comedy first and foremost. and like Cap2 was marvel's "spy" movie, this one is a heist film. i'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. The first part was both light on humor and a bit dry with character introductions, development, etc, so I really didn't realize what the movie was trying to be until a good 30 minutes or so in. But once it hit it's stride it was golden.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
3D definitely didn't take me out of the film at all. the real/immersive style, as opposed to the flat 2D layers lifted on top of one another the way other movies do it.

Definitely had an "Avatar" feel to the way it was shot. I noticed two quick times where the scenery swapped from a close up to a sweeping landscape (lots of 3D), and it was blurry until I force-blinked to readjust my eyes. Then it was fine once more.

Madsapper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Took the boy to see it in 3D this afternoon, great movie. 3D felt fluid with no obnoxious stuff flying around. Agree with Sylas on early pacing and hitting it's stride. Once it gets going it more than makes up for the initial who is who what is what 20'ish minutes. Didn't feel like two hours at all. I found way more humor than I probably should have in the perspective changes during fight scenes.

Luis explaining shit the first time with people lip-syncing along was good but the second time with more serious people lip-syncing was hilarious

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just saw it. Great movie. 8.5/10. Good humor, classic Rudd stuff. Action with shrinky-dink wasn't as bad as I expected, they did pretty well.

Michael Pena was awesome in it, as he is in a lot of things.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They gave Garrett Morris a bit part as a homage to him playing Ant Man on SNL years ago.

saturday-night-live-superhero-party.jpg

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I saw it last night, regular version, not 3D. It was a fun movie with some laughs. I had also hoped for maybe a little more ass kicking by Ant himself, but waddayagonnado.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just finished the 2D and it's probably one of favorites outside of the obvious 2-3 Marvel movies.

It was really enjoyable with a good balance of action, sentiment, and comedy. Could have a little more action earlier on but just a lot of good.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Just got back from seeing it. Great film and the missus really enjoyed it too so bonus as im always dragging her off to watch this type of stuff. And I agree with madsappers spoilered coment.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great movie. Paul Rudd and Michael Pena were great together, I hope they bring him back for future movies.

Xevy

Log Wizard
One question I had:

They said Cross went crazy because of the Pym particles, but he had never been shrunk before. I know Pym's helmet protected his brain from the effects of the particles or whatever, but why would Cross be crazy? Was it his B-league Pym particles weren't as stable or something and just being AROUND them made him crazy? Seemed like a weird plot issue.

Also, will that pet ant now become smarter now that it's super-sized?!? Because people being shrunk makes them crazy and unstable, maybe that pet will be super intelligent!....for an ant.

Madsapper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One question I had:

They said Cross went crazy because of the Pym particles, but he had never been shrunk before. I know Pym's helmet protected his brain from the effects of the particles or whatever, but why would Cross be crazy? Was it his B-league Pym particles weren't as stable or something and just being AROUND them made him crazy? Seemed like a weird plot issue.

Also, will that pet ant now become smarter now that it's super-sized?!? Because people being shrunk makes them crazy and unstable, maybe that pet will be super intelligent!....for an ant.
Was a wtf for me too. Kinda felt like something was left on the editing room floor, like he re-sized himself 50 times while giggling right after the successful sheep shrink. I chalked it up to him being around the process of replicating the particle for so long, and the fact he was coming unhinged then finally succeeding pushed him over the edge.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Was a wtf for me too. Kinda felt like something was left on the editing room floor, like he re-sized himself 50 times while giggling right after the successful sheep shrink. I chalked it up to him being around the process of replicating the particle for so long, and the fact he was coming unhinged then finally succeeding pushed him over the edge.
I think that explanation would be perfectly acceptable if they didn't take the time to explain that the suit protects the wearer from the effects of pym particles, and that cross doesn't know about that. It was like they added the foreshadowing but forgot half the payoff. My wife and I had the exact same issue with the movie. Though, overall it was very enjoyable

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Havent watched yet, why do you guys think critics are destroying antman? 65 to 75 on rt and mc. (Not that i care what critics think, but the avg joe does)

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Because it's their job to find faults? I dunno...audience score on RT is 92%, though. The first few critic reviews I can find there that are negative deal with behind-the-scenes perceptions of the movie (Edgar Wright being replaced) and saying that Marvel needs to take it to the next level. Instead of judging the film on its own merits, they're saying it sucks because it's not as good as Guardians or something. I don't know...nobody cares what they think. They're going to listen to their friends saying it's a great movie and go watch it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's been at a 79% on RT which is 1% lower than it was two days ago. How is a B, "getting destroyed"?

Also, RT is a retarded site that is full of critics trying to do whatever they can to get clicks and attention.