Any hope for this painting?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
1-2k is a lot of art. I spend a LOT on art every year, and there's only been a few times that I've gone that high, and only once that I've gone much higher. For that price I'd expect a professional artist with a lot of reference, concepts provided free of charge (maybe not to someone who isn't a known buyer), and WIP with input at each step. I also typically pay in advance once the concept is accepted at the higher range.
Stop buying degenerate furry art, fag.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think were getting somewhere with this.

lol.jpg

• 8Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 12 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Can we see a picture of what the original painting was that you found horrid? I want to know more about the backstory here. This is fucking RIVETING.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
so, the first pic was his drawing on paper to show what the end result could look like. It’s not amazing but it’s not terrible. It’s what a dork in 8th grade would sketch on his binder. This was a “quick sketch”. The second pic is when he laid it out on the canvas. Look how the whole picture shifted to the right. Groot was originally somewhat framed in the pic, and he even had bark for his chest plates. But on the canvas groot is like halfway off, rockets angle is bizarre, and you could tell he had no idea what to do with the retardedly long arm. It’s just such a mess!

275DBE1F-61E9-4BFA-9402-C328A1692496.jpeg
B4485B09-5F25-4A71-A5FF-F09765B8F59A.jpeg

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think the color work isn't terrible for a partially finished work but the guy needs a lot more practice doing poses. The arms are all wrong, Groot's are too short and Rocket's are in unnatural poses. Rocket's arm left arm is better in the sketch than it is in the drawing. Imagine holding on to a handrail to steady yourself, your upper arm isn't going to be horizontal with your elbow pointing up, that's a bad position for strength. The rifle isn't pointing the same way the head is, which kills the action. These basic flaws immediately make things look awkward and until he fixes them, it will always look bad.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dude you got scammed. This guy clearly charges people hundreds of dollars to torture them with shitty art. They pay him just so they don't have to interact with him anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Think the color work isn't terrible for a partially finished work but the guy needs a lot more practice doing poses. The arms are all wrong, Groot's are too short and Rocket's are in unnatural poses. Rocket's arm left arm is better in the sketch than it is in the drawing. Imagine holding on to a handrail to steady yourself, your upper arm isn't going to be horizontal with your elbow pointing up, that's a bad position for strength. The rifle isn't pointing the same way the head is, which kills the action. These basic flaws immediately make things look awkward and until he fixes them, it will always look bad.

Completely agree. How do you think he fucked up the arms so bad? is it that angle he's trying to pull off?

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How much detail is involved and the canvas size is how I generally base my pricing. Personally I require half up front, which will cover my time if someone backs out and also my materials which are really expensive since I use professional grade art supplies. Canvases made out of linen or premium oil paints like Old Holland are insanely expensive -- but ultimately worth it. For example, one 125ml tube of Old Holland Cadmium Red is $132.00!! It will disappear quickly as a primary color because it gets mixed constantly, but the difference in pigment load, consistency, texture, and longevity of that paint versus some Windsor & Newton student grade paint is night and day. No joking there are folks who think oil paint costs what house paint does at Lowe's. I have to explain that it protects the clients work -- you don't want your painting that puts a smile on your face every time you walk past it and paid hundreds\thousands of dollars for yellowing, cracking, or the color fading in 10 years because the artist used crappy materials. A lot of clients will see a beautiful finished piece and think you used all student grade garbage from your local Michael's and it's a constant education about the up front cost and time investment.

I have all but retired from privately commissioned art pieces anymore because that experience fucking sucks the life out of me. It's filled with overbearing clients who want to offer you 100-200$ for something that took days/weeks and on top if it most clients have no artistic vision and think they do.

Anyways, it really is imperative you see a portfolio of finished work and make sure it's what you want. Price is really subjective, and you will hear rules about how much to charge and pay which are all over the map and varies from artist to artist. I used to get incredibly anxious trying to justify price till I talked to an artist who sold his paintings for 5-10k a piece and asked him what he said when people bitched about cost. He laughed and said it was not his job to make it affordable any more than any it is in other profession to make a service or product affordable. Nobody is going to walk into a Ferrari dealership and bitch and complain about the cost of a Ferrari because they can only afford a Honda Accord. It changed my perspective forever. Someone doesn't want to pay me for my time for original artwork? They can fuck right off. Go buy a poster or a print from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's also given me the freedom from the guilt trip of owing a "friends and family discount" to those people in my life just so my uncle can give my aunt an original art piece for their anniversary from their favorite nephew. Pay up bitch.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
How much detail is involved and the canvas size is how I generally base my pricing. Personally I require half up front, which will cover my time if someone backs out and also my materials which are really expensive since I use professional grade art supplies. Canvases made out of linen or premium oil paints like Old Holland are insanely expensive -- but ultimately worth it. For example, one 125ml tube of Old Holland Cadmium Red is $132.00!! It will disappear quickly as a primary color because it gets mixed constantly, but the difference in pigment load, consistency, texture, and longevity of that paint versus some Windsor & Newton student grade paint is night and day. No joking there are folks who think oil paint costs what house paint does at Lowe's. I have to explain that it protects the clients work -- you don't want your painting that puts a smile on your face every time you walk past it and paid hundreds\thousands of dollars for yellowing, cracking, or the color fading in 10 years because the artist used crappy materials. A lot of clients will see a beautiful finished piece and think you used all student grade garbage from your local Michael's and it's a constant education about the up front cost and time investment.

I have all but retired from privately commissioned art pieces anymore because that experience fucking sucks the life out of me. It's filled with overbearing clients who want to offer you 100-200$ for something that took days/weeks and on top if it most clients have no artistic vision and think they do.

Anyways, it really is imperative you see a portfolio of finished work and make sure it's what you want. Price is really subjective, and you will hear rules about how much to charge and pay which are all over the map and varies from artist to artist. I used to get incredibly anxious trying to justify price till I talked to an artist who sold his paintings for 5-10k a piece and asked him what he said when people bitched about cost. He laughed and said it was not his job to make it affordable any more than any it is in other profession to make a service or product affordable. Nobody is going to walk into a Ferrari dealership and bitch and complain about the cost of a Ferrari because they can only afford a Honda Accord. It changed my perspective forever. Someone doesn't want to pay me for my time for original artwork? They can fuck right off. Go buy a poster or a print from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's also given me the freedom from the guilt trip of owing a "friends and family discount" to those people in my life just so my uncle can give my aunt an original art piece for their anniversary from their favorite nephew. Pay up bitch.

What do you think of the painting that the guy had done so far, from the original post in this thread? Was there any hope for it?

I completely agree with you. I've paid $1500-$2000 for multiple original paintings, because they were great and worth it!!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He laughed and said it was not his job to make it affordable any more than any it is in other profession to make a service or product affordable. Nobody is going to walk into a Ferrari dealership and bitch and complain about the cost of a Ferrari because they can only afford a Honda Accord. It changed my perspective forever. Someone doesn't want to pay me for my time for original artwork? They can fuck right off. Go buy a poster or a print from Bed Bath and Beyond.
yea, it's like paying $1,000 for an oil change for a porche

ppl who have a porche don't bitch about the price of ownership

or sure, take it to the jiffylube and see what happens... free oil filter tho!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you think of the painting that the guy had done so far, from the original post in this thread? Was there any hope for it?

I completely agree with you. I've paid $1500-$2000 for multiple original paintings, because they were great and worth it!!
Its got issues, mostly with perspective and foreshortening but anything can be salvaged. Those are the more difficult things to do in anatomy, and god knows in the past I've had to go over some fuckups a few times to get it right. Its why I generally don't show something until it's done -- there is a process of blocking in shapes and values where those stages look like garbage. The highlights are what make a painting "pop" and are the very last step -- its literally a mantra with art students to trust the process because you want to throw it in the trash in those stages. Before that everything looks bland and two dimensional mostly. One of my favorite artists refers to it as colored mud.

But with some changes it could be fine, if hes close to being done I would be worried though lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users