Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'll take $490

imageedit_1_8903420328.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Oh man. I was going to add Vanessa's penis, but I just can't bring myself to work in photoshop on that.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

so, the first pic was his drawing on paper to show what the end result could look like. It’s not amazing but it’s not terrible. It’s what a dork in 8th grade would sketch on his binder. This was a “quick sketch”. The second pic is when he laid it out on the canvas. Look how the whole picture shifted to the right. Groot was originally somewhat framed in the pic, and he even had bark for his chest plates. But on the canvas groot is like halfway off, rockets angle is bizarre, and you could tell he had no idea what to do with the retardedly long arm. It’s just such a mess!

View attachment 292755View attachment 292756

oh man. I got to this thread late..
you should have pulled out at this stage..

There is going to be some back and forth here.
1. should have had a contract. even relatively small values, should have had a contract set up stating possible alternatives.
2. should have researched more.. His skill clearly does not seem up to task.
3. 5'x6' is no joke. Even if it had been a GOOD pencil sketch, the ability to scale that art up to 5'x6' or mural size is another skill on its own.
art board is 11"x14" hell, I wouldnt be able to scale up to 5'x6' without spending weeks/months prepping.
4. Commissioned art usually has that prep work built into the price. Something people often miss. 1 piece of art, may have 50-100 prep sketches, test render/paintings, etc leading up to the final artwork. Especially true with paint, and not using photoshop. if you are going to paint a complex image of lets say a knight in the forground, a pirate ship in mid, and castle in the background. you may paint 5-10 versions of that knight, first, and same with castle and ship... then, recreate them together at once on the main canvas. True pro stuff, like book covers, magic cards etc. often that stuff is 1 piece of art for an entire months worth of work. nevermind hiring models, or creating actual props.
5. its possible... but super unlikely that guy is going to turn it around.
6. the "right" thing would probably be to fork over the full $500, as sad as that is. time and money on paint was spent. 5'x6' is again, no joke.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also the idea of you NOT owning this painting after this thread seems preposterous. That this would be covered in gesso doesn't seem right.

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I did a few murals for friends (usually for kids rooms) I found out creating small accurate drawings and transferring them on a flash drive to an art projector made life infinitely easier. I usually get a very detailed 8x14 or so sketch, add in shaded areas, and use my artograph projector to scale it up. The workflow is a thousand times faster when you have other projects, deadlines, and pieces to complete for clients. It can even layer grids or perspective lines over a canvas which is awesome, all with the use of the remote control.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
oh man. I got to this thread late..
you should have pulled out at this stage..

There is going to be some back and forth here.
1. should have had a contract. even relatively small values, should have had a contract set up stating possible alternatives.
2. should have researched more.. His skill clearly does not seem up to task.
3. 5'x6' is no joke. Even if it had been a GOOD pencil sketch, the ability to scale that art up to 5'x6' or mural size is another skill on its own.
art board is 11"x14" hell, I wouldnt be able to scale up to 5'x6' without spending weeks/months prepping.
4. Commissioned art usually has that prep work built into the price. Something people often miss. 1 piece of art, may have 50-100 prep sketches, test render/paintings, etc leading up to the final artwork. Especially true with paint, and not using photoshop. if you are going to paint a complex image of lets say a knight in the forground, a pirate ship in mid, and castle in the background. you may paint 5-10 versions of that knight, first, and same with castle and ship... then, recreate them together at once on the main canvas. True pro stuff, like book covers, magic cards etc. often that stuff is 1 piece of art for an entire months worth of work. nevermind hiring models, or creating actual props.
5. its possible... but super unlikely that guy is going to turn it around.
6. the "right" thing would probably be to fork over the full $500, as sad as that is. time and money on paint was spent. 5'x6' is again, no joke.

I hear you. I gladly would have paid $1500 or whatever for a badass painting that size. He gave me the quote. I just feel like paying him now is just rewarding him for being a bad painter. Shouldn’t he have known that he was incapable of painting it well? Is it not enough to just let him have that expensive canvas?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
BTW I found another guy locally to give this painting another shot. His career is doing the really neat murals on the sides of brick buildings. So he’s accustomed to doing large format painting. And he has done one extremely awesome painting for me already. So I hope it goes well. If not we will have some more material :)

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Gosh you're making it sound like you're not putting the FOH masterpiece on your wall.

• 1Worf