Aquaman (2018)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah but people actually win the lottery, this is fucking aquaman. The only superhero lamer is namor.

Unrelated: Plastic-Man should be their answer to Deadpool.

Last i remember the most recent revision of Aquaman was godly powerful

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I'll admit, I know nothing about the modern incarnations of Aquaman or Namor, both may be cool now. Mayne DC's old GrimDark approach would have worked better with a more visceral Hero as opposed to fucking Superman.

DC has no idea what it is doing or why people like the heros/villains they do and how to translate that onto the big screen. They certainly are not hiring people who do either.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Action wise it looked good. Certainly looks fun.
I thought that looked 10x better than it had any right being after the debacle that most DCEU films have been. Hiring James Wan was a great choice and they have what looks like a great take on what at first glance is the least filmable hero in their stable.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll admit, I know nothing about the modern incarnations of Aquaman or Namor, both may be cool now. Mayne DC's old GrimDark approach would have worked better with a more visceral Hero as opposed to fucking Superman.

DC has no idea what it is doing or why people like the heros/villains they do and how to translate that onto the big screen. They certainly are not hiring people who do either.
i'm more familiar w/ Namor and yea, he's about the dorkiest character. Since they refer to him as "the first mutant", thats even worse. Even Ultimate Namor (usually the cooler, reimagining) is dorky, ultimate Namor just has a huge hard-on for Sue Storm.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'll end up seeing this the day it opens. Luckily I won't be paying for it as my company hosts marketing events for our customers and this apparently is going to be one. I hope my customers don't hold it against me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Seeing trailers like this and actually watching BvS and JL, etc. I am forced to wonder if all the truly great CG/Special Effects companies are literally all booked up doing Marvel movies and Warner Brothers is forced to hire all the lesser talent that is hungry for work. Because except for Black Panther, which had the worst CGI of any Marvel movie I can remember, everything else has just blown DC out of the water (pun intended). Maybe you could argue that Wonder Woman had good CGI, but then I remember Ares... I mean seriously, if Marvel is pumping out 3 movies a year now, all of which require a ton of CGI, and dozens and dozens of other high-quality movies are also being made that require any level of CGI, there's gotta be a point at which most of the established talent is too busy, right? It sure looks to me like WB has failed in that area pretty hard lately, so it's either something like what I'm saying, or some bean counter convinced them to go cheap. I can't imagine anyone looked at Justice League and thought "Fuck, we nailed that CGI hard!" I'm so glad we saved a buck! Right?!

Caveat, I didn't google anything to support my claim. Perhaps all the same studios worked on both sets of films. But it seems to me that the A Team is clearly assigned to Marvel, and the interns and new hires that still need to get some experience were put on stuff like JL.

EDIT: And I know that all the fuckery with reshoots doesn't help due to time constraints, but Marvel does reshoots and has them look good. Sure, WB reshoots half the fucking movie it seems, but still, whose fault is that?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
WB spent all of their CGI budget for DC movies on the removal of Superman's mustache in Justice League.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Seeing trailers like this and actually watching BvS and JL, etc. I am forced to wonder if all the truly great CG/Special Effects companies are literally all booked up doing Marvel movies and Warner Brothers is forced to hire all the lesser talent that is hungry for work. Because except for Black Panther, which had the worst CGI of any Marvel movie I can remember, everything else has just blown DC out of the water (pun intended). Maybe you could argue that Wonder Woman had good CGI, but then I remember Ares... I mean seriously, if Marvel is pumping out 3 movies a year now, all of which require a ton of CGI, and dozens and dozens of other high-quality movies are also being made that require any level of CGI, there's gotta be a point at which most of the established talent is too busy, right? It sure looks to me like WB has failed in that area pretty hard lately, so it's either something like what I'm saying, or some bean counter convinced them to go cheap. I can't imagine anyone looked at Justice League and thought "Fuck, we nailed that CGI hard!" I'm so glad we saved a buck! Right?!

Caveat, I didn't google anything to support my claim. Perhaps all the same studios worked on both sets of films. But it seems to me that the A Team is clearly assigned to Marvel, and the interns and new hires that still need to get some experience were put on stuff like JL.

EDIT: And I know that all the fuckery with reshoots doesn't help due to time constraints, but Marvel does reshoots and has them look good. Sure, WB reshoots half the fucking movie it seems, but still, whose fault is that?
The studios that create the CGI are tied to the conglomerate. Marvel animators are tied to Marvel, Disney, Pixar. Oh, hey Pixar, no fucking wonder Marvel has amazing CGI. Black Panther CGI wasn't bad, it was the shitty animation of the cat suits in the last scene in fucking pitch black bullshit.

DC, like I mentioned before, has to have made a conscious choice to make their CGI appear synthetic at this point. I mean, you pay $1.3m to have Cavill's stache removed instead of just delaying the fucking release for reshoots.

What I don't get about WB, they've done Harry Potter, Hobbit films, which both had passable CGI *clears throat*, and then awesome shit like Inception, or even Gravity, but with history the likes of the latter Matrix movies, it's like the same CGI guy did these current films. Who fucking approved that texture and mapping? Is that fucker working on an old Trinitron monitor and doesn't realize it's gonna look like shit in 4K on the big screen....

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This hasn't released yet? I thought this came and went already.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Legend has it a new writer will come, who will use the power of the reboot and put DC back together again

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Legend has it a new writer will come, who will use the power of the reboot and put DC back together again

What will truly suck is that if they actually pull this movie off and make it decent. (I'm not hoping for great, just don't suck..) and have to weave a reboot around it. heh

Siliconemelons

That trailer needs some music that is not on a 5 bar repeat cycle - other than that cool

Glad they were like "lulz, yeall bitchen he didn't have a trident, well...yeah, bc plot bro!"

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The “Strike The Ground With The Butt of Your Trident” movie soon at a theatre near you.

I will admit Mamoa is the epitome of tough guy cool.

And I would give up select body parts for Amber Heard, even after Depp despoiled her.

So.........wait on stream I guess......

spronk

FPS noob
social media embargo lifted, let the shilling begin

Hideo Kojima's Avatar? wat

and of course obligatory "Hollywood knows whats best"