- Momoa is good, Amber has a few bad takes but damn is she hot
- movie has heart
- the giant fish battles are fucking awesome

Worth seeing in the theatre.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
It was ok, story was kind of garbage and there were too many characters and every time Jason Momoa had a scene they had to also put in a scene with Amber Heard so their screen time could be 50/50 but it was entertaining at least. The kids in my group got kinda bored about halfway thru but picked up for the last 20 mins. Its definitely not a "woke" movie, just tries to hit all demographics - men, women, kids, adults - and doesn't really do anything other than action/CGI really well. Lots of shit you could nitpick, at best I'd put it at around the same tier as an average MCU movie without really any heart or soul, but its an entertaining movie.

I doubt I'd ever want to see it again though.

I'd rate it slightly under Venom, I thought that was a bit more fun but this was a bit more spectacular. The underwater CGI is really amazing.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, just got home from second viewing (with the lovely Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus ) And you all know what that means. I can start nit picking now....

How did they get OUT of the middle of the sahara?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It was ok, story was kind of garbage and there were too many characters and every time Jason Momoa had a scene they had to also put in a scene with Amber Heard so their screen time could be 50/50 but it was entertaining at least. The kids in my group got kinda bored about halfway thru but picked up for the last 20 mins. Its definitely not a "woke" movie, just tries to hit all demographics - men, women, kids, adults - and doesn't really do anything other than action/CGI really well. Lots of shit you could nitpick, at best I'd put it at around the same tier as an average MCU movie without really any heart or soul, but its an entertaining movie.

I doubt I'd ever want to see it again though.

I'd rate it slightly under Venom, I thought that was a bit more fun but this was a bit more spectacular. The underwater CGI is really amazing.
This is enough for me to buy a used copy of the 4K disc. I enjoyed Venom, fully expect this movie to be shit, but if it's half decent with some good visual entertainment, I'm on board.

Momoa's scene with the Lasso of Truth in Justice League was amazing, and it's a shame he otherwise got tossed as a background character, but that's at the bottom end of why that movie was trash. If that kind of light heartedness permiated the rest of the film and the DC films in general would have paid fansomly.

Glad to hear it was at least fun, in spite of the DC trend on things. Shame Cavill laid the hammer down on any further DC-verse movies, given he was a perfect Superman. Case of perfect casting, absolutely terrible writing, directing, editing, fuck, especially editing, and CGI budget. Can they just release a full budget animated film to theaters? Make sure Nathan Fillion voices green lantern.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Better than BvS and JL .
But I got bored I’m the middle. Very predictable, Momoa was pretty good and so was most of the CGI, but it just felt meh.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its got a ton of nitpicks, just like Wonder Woman and most other comic book movies. nobody cares. it was entertaining , had eyecandy and didnt try to make me feel guilty about existing.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
my only complaint is they kept trying to make black manta a thing and really you could have cut the entire black manta sub plot and had the exact same movie overall.

• 3Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
This is truly the Big Dumb Comic Book Movie to end Big Dumb Comic Book Movies, but that's kinda what it needed to be. Lots of big over-the-top spectacle, and some corny dialogue, but it was fun. And really, this is one of the very few ways that that you're going to be able to get audiences on board with Atlantis and fish-men, and all that. Between this and Wonder Woman, DC might not be achieving greatness, but it is at least starting to get good, which I'm happy to see.

Congrats DC, you actually made Aquaman kinda cool.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I loved it.

There's a lot to nitpick in this movie. But goddamn this movie is entertaining and beautiful. It's exactly what it needs to be when your hero's superpower is talking to fish.

Whereas Wonder Woman and Black Panther fall apart in the end due to CGI shit fest, this movie has a well crafted CGI world shown in shot after shot for 2.5 hours.

Noticed the shot of The Dunwich Horror book in the beginning of the movie.

Also loved the short HP Lovecraftian aesthetic of the Trench.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
When the new 52 launched they had Aquaman (yeah i got that one) open with him in a diner eating fish telling some one they tasted good. That was so great to see. Anything like that in the movie?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So browsing through the comments here it sounds like this movie although cheesy it worth watching at least. Would you say better or worse than Wonder Woman? Which was also a mediocre shit flick.. but head and shoulders over the other DC bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
So browsing through the comments here it sounds like this movie although cheesy it worth watching at least. Would you say better or worse than Wonder Woman? Which was also a mediocre shit flick.. but head and shoulders over the other DC bullshit.
Wonder Woman had much better character stuff, but the terrible CGI shitfest ending was real bad. This movie has better CGI stuff, but there's basically zero chemistry between any of the actors so a lot of the dialogue/interaction is very cringe. It's not bad the way Suicide Squad or Batman vs Superman was but it's worse than most/all MCU movies including Thor2, IM3, etc.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Action scenes/visuals were top quality, but the dialogue was atrocious. There's a ton of cringe, but the fun parts made up for it. This movie reaaaallyyy liked surprise explosions.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I put it around or above dorctor strange with a Pacific rim sense of cool design and fights.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It was good, not amazing and quite predictable but i saw that and Bumblee within 24hr and i think i liked this a bit more than the story about a girl and her pet car. Id give them both about 7-7.5.

I likely only rate it higher due to hot redhead, and idc if shes a real redhead in the end.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Man of Steel / Wonder Woman caliber movie, absolutely worth seeing if you're interested -- it's just too bad they can't get any of the connective tissue stuff right in their universe the way Marvel does.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Man of Steel / Wonder Woman caliber movie, absolutely worth seeing if you're interested -- it's just too bad they can't get any of the connective tissue stuff right in their universe the way Marvel does.
to be fair, its because Feige is one man, no other studio has had success as he has at building a cinematic universe. its not a Marvel thing. its not a Disney thing. its a Feige thing.

• 1Like