Aquaman (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Great looking movie. He must have done the super hero landing 10x. The Aquaman suit reveal was just so....corny. Whole movie felt, corny.

6/10

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Great looking movie. He must have done the super hero landing 10x. The Aquaman suit reveal was just so....corny. Whole movie felt, corny.

6/10

Definitely corny as all hell. But I think it kinda embraced that and worked it IMHO. I do think they could have done the new outfit reveal differently. And I believe it was different in one of the trailers... But I can forgive it that. It was definitely flowing with the "Wet Thor" vibe of when he picked up the trident/hammer and was worthy then.. POOF costume change.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Aquaman will likely gross one billion worldwide and be DC's biggest film. Kind of crazy to think of all the Marvel films it will outgross. Fucking Aquaman!
its already at 800 million in under 2 weeks. when all is said and done it might double that.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
its already at 800 million in under 2 weeks. when all is said and done it might double that.

There's literally no chance of that. China is basically finished. Most international markets are closer to being done than not. There will be a big domestic dropoff after New year's. That's just how this time period works, year after year. Not a single industry expert thinks it can get 1.2 billion, let alone 1.6.

But it's still an amazing achievement for DC. There's no doubt in that.

Last edited:

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
As long as you are not a move aficionado, this movie is great. Go see it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There's literally no chance of that. China is basically finished. Most international markets are closer to being done than not. There will be a big domestic dropoff after New year's. That's just how this time period works, year after year. Not a single industry expert thinks it can get 1.2 billion, let alone 1.6.

But it's still an amazing achievement for DC. There's no doubt in that.
i was including blue ray and PPV. i think it could do 1.2 easily.

DickTrickle

i was including blue ray and PPV. i think it could do 1.2 easily.

Well, okay, sure. That's probably true, especially when adding in further broadcast rights.

Those numbers are usually not grouped together when talking box office, though, since they come much later.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well, okay, sure. That's probably true, especially when adding in further broadcast rights.

Those numbers are usually not grouped together when talking box office, though, since they come much later.
I wasn't aware it was separate. I thought it all got lumped in. I did figure toys wouldn't count with the film.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Aquaman will likely gross one billion worldwide and be DC's biggest film. Kind of crazy to think of all the Marvel films it will outgross. Fucking Aquaman!

Well, sure. Still, take a time machine back some 10 years and tell your younger self a full-fledged Justice League movie would end up behind a Dr. Strange movie and barely get to half of sequels (!) to utter Z-tier comic books like Guardians of the Galaxy! They've got some ground to recover.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Kind of surprised that utter garbage like this would make this kind of money.

I guess hot people do sell.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Kind of surprised that utter garbage like this would make this kind of money.

I guess hot people do sell.

A) Hot people and costumes showing ample levels of Amber Heard's cleavage do in fact sell...
B) Many DC fans have been so desperate for something to redeem their hope that they're all in on this...

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Also released Xmas time, wtf you gonna do w/ a bunch of visiting relatives you haven't seen in AT LEAST over a year once you've opened presents?

tarb

Trakanon Raider
"Kind of surprised that utter garbage like this would make this kind of money. "

Its making most of its money in China, its doing ok here but nothing crazy, it also had the lowest opening of any DC movie domestically.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
IMAX showing I just finished was totally sold out, but the entire theater complex was packed tonight. Fun movie, still clearly DC in tone and fighting style (always crazily over the top). That ending battle could have gotten terrible but they plunked down money for good CGI. Guess they learned their lesson from WW ending CGI.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
i liked it. pretty good for DC!

i saw the lovecraft book at the start and then heard them talk about the creature sealed in teh trench and thought they were hinting at cthulu haha :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
speaking of black panther. my wife watched it at home, i wasn't paying attention. playing oni or something. at some point i looked up and all the black folks were killing each other with maces and rhinos and space weapons. i leaned over and said "wife...why are all the blackfolks killing each other?" and then "wife, i may be racist here, both the hero and villian look the same to me" (the part where tehre was black panther and bad black panther?). i was very confused.

anyway you could get the same effect in aquaman but with fish.

DickTrickle

"Kind of surprised that utter garbage like this would make this kind of money. "

Its making most of its money in China, its doing ok here but nothing crazy, it also had the lowest opening of any DC movie domestically.

Some apple and oranges comparisons going on here. Aquaman opened in China before the USA by two weeks so it's not an even comparison. Projections have them about even with the US probably making more in the end. Lower opening isn't as significant when you have all this holiday time -- Christmas time movies rarely open big like summer Blockbusters but they have much longer legs (obvious exception being star wars: Top December Opening Weekends at the Box Office ).

Also big for DC is the budget was much less than bvs or jl, by a lot. So they will see a lot more profit, especially since it will be the highest grossing DC film.

Not sure how the greater DC universe will look, though, with Cavill and Affleck out. Maybe no one will care if they get swapped out for someone else.

• 1Like