Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There should be an entire EQ nostalgia subforum. Have threads for all the classic servers. We could all spread the word on gaming sites/forums and facebook. I bet it would boost the traffic.
This is a great idea. I always felt it was one of the most important grabs of this community.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Not really, we were both killing Trakanon at the time the server split. Why stay on a server with level competition when you can go to a new server and dominate all of the faggots from Tunare?

Cats in Hats ruled Drinal..we even had Anthony from Opie and Anthony in our guild until dumb ass Lern ruined that for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4iyRvPFIQs

Only picture I have from 1999.

rrr_img_18455.jpg
DACH! You motha fucka. How are you doing? Haven't heard from you since you transferred to Drinal. Do you still talk to Team Kindred from AO?

rrr_img_18455.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just realized this thread is missing one of the most important EQ players of all time... Mippo. I don't think he made it over to this forum.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
when <Europa> transfered to Druzzil Ro and took everything, I guess that's why your server first list doesn't have anything from Luclin or PoP?
smile.png
I didn't list anything from Luclin or PoP because the argument was over Hoss's competitiveness when Seekers/Vindication was still around. Hoss had virtually everything first from Luclin on through GoD. It was practically a one uber guild server from VT on up.

Shit, I didn't even remember Europa existed until I checked out their web page just now. I'm sorry they gave you guys trouble, because we had Quarm on farm status for 4 months before they killed the Rathe council and I was fed up with GoD and playing WoW before they had killed Quarm.

Lie more.

smile.png

Fyro

Golden Squire
I loved EQ drama and it all stems from non-instanced content.

Grew up on Povar in Harmonium, had most of the server firsts through Kunark. Guild leader was a dumbass and let Triton have all the Trakanon kills (whereas he preferred to farm Venril Sathir). Triton got into VP first for obvious reasons. We moved to Xev to get away from Triton/RA and had free reign of the server for the rest of our days. Had every server first on Xev. Had minor competition with Altera Vita, was fun and not as stressful but the drama couldn't compare to being on Povar.

Silius was Xev server GM for a while. He was bored a lot and would spectate our raids and do stupid shit like turn us into random illusions and sometimes did server-wide messages saying random shit. Eventually he became an EQ designer. I was sad to hear how he drove VG into the ground, I use to be good friends with him and helped him test a lot of his EQ content. He always had good intentions. I never played VG to witness that debacle.
If I remember correctly you powerleved the first Froglok Cleric to lv 70 or 60 whatever the cap was at the time in like less than a day right? Fawy or something like that was the name. I remember following Harm

I played Xev as well, but I was nothing but a peon.

Fyro

Golden Squire
Xev really had very little drama in general. Although the Synd/Hawkstone Sleeper thing was a bit of a firestorm lol.
Sorry for the double post- but I remember that clear as day.

Cawkstone was the name they earned when they popped sleeper. They said they wouldn't break, but it didn't take long till they all fell apart.

Christ EQ drama was fun.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Pena and Jovann had access to one. I remember the shit storm that ensued during Luclin when this came to light. Vae began it's initial demise during this time if not sooner.

Kunark to Luclin were good times. Tunare was a general cesspool. There were capable guilds in many time zones which created hostility and it's in part what made the game and server so fun. The amount of hours spent logged in was generally redic.

As much as people might not want (choose) to admit it, for those that played on Tunare, it is in part of what made it so fun and memorable. 13 years later and I can still recall things about it vividly.
Vae really died in PoP when pena took over after heep left the game. Luclin certainly didn't help though.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Prexus had some pretty awesome drama. Spill the beans Soy.
Indeed we did, and thankfully it's still all mostly preserved on our Prexus forum. I was in Nameless Order with Soygen from PoP on through my retirement around DoD. Thus I missed the Luclin drama, but there was some doozys. One I heard of was NO killing warders in Vex Thal, and then as they are doing so, see the corpse of a Mage being dragged past them by a rogue of a rival guild Stasis. Suddenly Stasis has their whole guild past NO after they've done the work of killing the warders. Funny as shit now, but they were a pain in the ass guild back then that were all about stealing any kill that they could.Just one thread here about them that's dripping with drama.

At one point it also became known that Stasis's leader was selling off guild bank items for rent, which was fucking hilarious. Toward the beginning of PoP, our guild leader Perplex manipulated Stasis into thinking that we still desperately wanted Luclin raid targets. As a result, Stasis lagged a bit behind on starting PoP. Still, one night Perplex told us we'd hit Emperor in SSRA before heading on over to our PoP target. Before you knew it, Stasis is rushing out of Vex Thal and starting to cram into the zone. So Perp says fuck it, EVERYONE go /anon (Stasis was notorious for doing this). We then all port over to Vex Thal, and all take off /anon. Doing a /who was just priceless...you saw them all just scrambling back over to Vex Thal. After they start zoning in we port on over to PoP and start our business. Someone in Stasis who joined us a few years later told us the leader was absolutely losing his shit when that happened.

During PoP Stasis started dwindling and things were often ugly between Keepers of the Flame who were the top guild and Nameless Order. We didn't really start butting heads until right around the point we were starting to flag for Rallos Zek. They knew that was our last target before Elemental planes, like most guilds, so they wanted us out. For a good 2-3 weeks, we dealt with these guys up out ass every...single....time we were working toward Rallos Zek and splitting the Zek brothers near him. We all know how fucking shitty optimization was back then for EQ...shit back then was already a lag fest. Now add another 80 people behind your force of 80ish people, and it becomes a slideshow of fail. KtF leaders would constantly pester our leadership with tells and saying engage soon or we're jumping you, all in the middle of leaders trying to give us strats, and Soygen and other monks losing their minds on those pulls. Eventually we got him,but it wasn't long before our party had to be ruined by more shit being flung at each other. Drama starts probably less than 4 pages in. The constant term always thrown around at that time was that Nameless Order was "toll boothing" by getting to a mob and slowing down. KtF always made NO look like a guild that raced to the mob then took our sweet ass time, but the fact was we had them up our ass lagging us the fuck out on every attempt.

Then we really butted heads on Sol Ro. KtF knew that plane of fire was the jackpot for drops, and they wanted that shit completely locked down. One day as we were clearing all the mini bosses and sol Ro temple, there was just 1 KtF alt at the zone in (big fucking clue what's going on there). Soon as we see Sol Ro pop on tracking, we immediately rush for his room. Suddenly KtF is rushing in as well. As we get to the main room, we begin pulling, and form there, I have no fucking idea what happened, but all the trash is all over both raid forces and we all wipe...maybe Soygen can give some input there. So now you have two forces basically wiped out after most of the trash was killed off by a few remaining people. Both sides begin rezzing up, moving forward pulling the last trash or two, and then we both engage Sol Ro at the same time. I guess we just didn't do as much damage as them, as they get the kill, kill the elemental for the flag immediately, and port out like 1 minute later. That was probably the most pissed I had every been in EQ, EVER.

KtF had him locked down for a good 1-2 weeks, but like all mobs, he had an exact respawn timer (7 days I believe?). So when one day we knew he was spawn at 6am, all of Nameless Order logged on at five fucking thirty A.M. and took that fucker out in one shot without having to deal with a shit lag fest behind us. KtF really never knew we'd have that kind of dedication to do that, and I think that's why they didn't bother to do the same thing. You could tell they were kind of stunned we did that.

That still didnt stop them from bothering us in EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ELEMENTAL PLANE. Listen, competition is great in games, but looking back on this shit now, what ducking terrible design to only have the content available to one guild to kill a week. Plane of fire fields, they were there racing to take our mobs. Clear all of Fennin Ro event trash for two hours, they pop in after a single wipe and kill him. Plane of Earth...jumping over us on those shit temple events. Plane of Air, hopping over us again. Plane of Water...turning an already slide show into a fucking wrist slitting exercise.Here it is, enjoy...51 pages of everyone flinging feces at each other. How times have changed.

I think I've covered enough, I'll let Soy share some if he wants.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was in Stasis during that period. Fun times indeed. You missed so much good drama though. :/ KtF/Unity cockblocking EA during velious? Rovell McEbay?

Keepers of the Faith, not Keepers of the Flame. I liked how the rumors of KtF having devs in it were finally confirmed.

I ended up joining Unity after Stasis asploded. By then the elementals were fairly tame, though after we killed Rathe NO got interested in Coirnav again for some reason. ^^

Fuck, Nasir/jerm was an interesting character.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Listen, competition is great in games, but looking back on this shit now, what ducking terrible design to only have the content available to one guild to kill a week.
Yah, I think people tend to forget over time what led to a lot of people wanting to jump to WoW (and there was a lot). I'm still not sure complete instancing is the way to go, or even phasing, but I never really got the hardon for the nonstop dicksmashing either. I have always wondered if it was less of an issue on the Zeks, or at least, if having a means to directly duke it out had any effect of the cockblocking or if it just added fuel to the fire. That's probably one of the few things that would make me even consider a server like that, if my only other option was the throttled content PVE server clusterfucks.

iannis

Musty Nester
Man... our drama was never THAT bad. All the drama on our server was mostly internal guild drama. Sometimes you'd get sebelis/guk drama out of single groups fighting over camps.

... Which I guess means we were the dickheads. The only real drama I can remember is when the guild I was in was having a discussion about if we should be complete faggots and just lock everything everywhere down. A lot of people wanted to (because we could and you know it was EQ), a lot of people didn't want to be that big of shitheads. And then one of our dipshit guild members posted the entire transcript on a public board. He was like an eve spy.

But what are you gonna do? You can't back off of something like that, no amount of smooth is gonna let you play that down. So we went full shithead for a while.

LOL. I remember that hardly anyone logged in for weeks except to kill the raid targets after that shit. They was ashamed. I actually started making friends in other guilds.

No, I do not long for those days.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dunno, would of been interesting to see where EQ would be at if it had continued to put out Velious quality expansions.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Probably same as now considering EQ2 and WoW would have been set in motion around 2000-2001 (wild guess).

Itzena_sl

shitlord
No,really. Best acclaimed, playerbase loved it, made them the least money. This just goes to show something, although I'm sure I don't know what