Arcane

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Thanks, I've never played Castlevania somehow.
Get yourself a rope, take it to a castle with a large clock tower. Avoid the harpies / medusa heads, tie a noose around one of the giant cogs and hang yourself. Its the only way to atone.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

holy shit. Imagine being able to experience Symphony of the night, Castlevania netflix, and Arcane for the first time again..

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Started re-watching this (haha) and man, I can't get over how good the world building is in this show. If it didn't have the "League of Legands Story" tagline under Arcane, I'd never know it was attached to a game universe. In other words, this show was so good that it feels like it could set up a video game franchise, not the other way around. I can't think of any other single piece of games related media that does for the Riot universe what Arcane does. It's really a shame they make not a single game in a genre that interests me - yet. The idea of an MMO in this world that could somehow manage to capture the "tone/vibe" of this show is hard to believe but if they spent this much time perfecting this show, I suppose it's hard to doubt them. A single player story driven RPG in Piltover? Sky is the limit. It's like a bunch of really talented people saw what Blizzard was attempting around Titan, and then actually took the time and effort to do it the right way. Hopefully that translates into something special in the gaming space, because their new Steam game (watching a few streams) looks very meh to me and the fighting game holds zero appeal to me as well.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Get yourself a rope, take it to a castle with a large clock tower. Avoid the harpies / medusa heads, tie a noose around one of the giant cogs and hang yourself. Its the only way to atone.
I grew up with Commodore 64, Sega Master System and PS1/Gameboy. Sounds like it was a 2D Nintendo thing and I only went back to emulate Final Fantasy and Zelda games.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fight game just looks like a reskinned Street Fighter with a couple of twists. A person who enjoys those kinds of games will enjoy that one.

A proper MMO around the universe they have built could put that company into the world of printing money. If done right, it would exceed what Blizzard accomplished. There is so much that could be done. Riot knows this. When ready in a couple of years, I imagine the player base will get a nice preview of what they are doing. I do look forward to it.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I grew up with Commodore 64, Sega Master System and PS1/Gameboy. Sounds like it was a 2D Nintendo thing and I only went back to emulate Final Fantasy and Zelda games.

If you've played any 2D action/adventure platforming side-scrollers in the last two decades, you've been playing Castlevania.

They're called "metroidvanias" for a reason. That's how foundational that game was.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you've played any 2D action/adventure side-scrollers in the last two decades, you've been playing Castlevania.

They're called "metroidvanias" for a reason. That's how foundational that game was.
I haven't!

Needless

Toe Sucker
lol i didnt realize singed was singed until Act 3 when he had his little scarf on

would really love to see a season based on the entirety of demacia (lux having magic in a strictly anti magic domain) and another of shurima (cool fuckin desert egyptian shit)

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
The idea of an MMO in this world that could somehow manage to capture the "tone/vibe" of this show is hard to believe but if they spent this much time perfecting this show, I suppose it's hard to doubt them.

Depending on where you stand on hardcore gaming and high-end raids vs casual content, Ghostcrawler's tweets about the LoL MMO will either be hopeful news or the worst:

Even in the crustiest old-school UO forums there are people who have moved past the hardcore MMO difficulty regime and embraced the casual-friendly social/cosmetic wave of things. In that sense I appreciate Ghostcrawler tempering expectations here and setting the standard of where the MMO will go. Hopefully he doubles and triples down on it.

Thing is even if you do disagree with that philosophy, one lesson that Riot has shown they've learned is how to respect audiences who love established systems like LoL and instead of diluting that core gameplay to appeal to broader audiences, they just build different games in the same universe.

If you think about the foibles that stalked WoW's last decade, it was all because of Blizzard's instinct to appeal to everyone and thus satisfy no one. Trying to reconcile PvP balance with a PvE MMO. Implementing phasing so they can build a single-player RPG experience into a sandbox MMO. Trying to force e-sports grade competition into everything.

LoL learned the hard way a decade ago when they tried introducing new summoner's maps with different lane layouts that it's just better to create entirely different games and broaden their appeal that way while simultaneously maximising the engagement of the folks who are already captured with the core game. It's why they can afford to be uncompromising when satisfying each specific niche, from the CS:GO twitch freaks with Valorant all the way to the hyper-toxic solo queuers in LoL.

Hopefully they plan on going that direction with the MMO; maybe using the ARPG as the more casual-friendly exploration game, then a dark-souls alike for the truly hardcore PVP'ers but keeping the MMO's focus on refining the raiding and group dungeon-crawling experience.

Last edited:

Caliane

Started re-watching this (haha) and man, I can't get over how good the world building is in this show. If it didn't have the "League of Legands Story" tagline under Arcane, I'd never know it was attached to a game universe. In other words, this show was so good that it feels like it could set up a video game franchise, not the other way around. I can't think of any other single piece of games related media that does for the Riot universe what Arcane does. It's really a shame they make not a single game in a genre that interests me - yet. The idea of an MMO in this world that could somehow manage to capture the "tone/vibe" of this show is hard to believe but if they spent this much time perfecting this show, I suppose it's hard to doubt them. A single player story driven RPG in Piltover? Sky is the limit. It's like a bunch of really talented people saw what Blizzard was attempting around Titan, and then actually took the time and effort to do it the right way. Hopefully that translates into something special in the gaming space, because their new Steam game (watching a few streams) looks very meh to me and the fighting game holds zero appeal to me as well.
what? haven't you seen the intricate world building and deep lore of Street fighter:the legend of chun li?

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How did fucking League of Legends get the first truly good video game adaptation?
What the fuck bro?

E4D3A522-87CC-4738-AB58-6F12FFE73218.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
In all seriousness find a way to play Castlevania Symphony of the Night. One of the best platformers to ever exist.

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Fucking A, the Jinx vs. Echo fight was amazing. Where has this type of animation/story been the last 15 years?

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Where has this type of animation/story been the last 15 years?

Do you guys not have phones?

The further removed people are from the mobile/asian esports aspect of gamer culture the more shocked they are by how far Riot's animation and music production has moved past their western and Japanese rivals. Riot is largely the reason Tencent is a half-trillion-dollar company.

Even on reddit and 4chan there are hardline DOTA folks who hate LoL so much that they're unable to be objective about Riot's stuff. Unsurprisingly, they were caught completely dumbfounded by this show and the last decade of LoL's animation output. There have been a couple posts in this thread like that too.

It's funny, but it's also a statement on how much older western gamers are nowadays that our disdain of the mobile/asian gaming scene has put blinders on us.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Depending on where you stand on hardcore gaming and high-end raids vs casual content, Ghostcrawler's tweets about the LoL MMO will either be hopeful news or the worst:

Even in the crustiest old-school UO forums there are people who have moved past the hardcore MMO difficulty regime and embraced the casual-friendly social/cosmetic wave of things. In that sense I appreciate Ghostcrawler tempering expectations here and setting the standard of where the MMO will go. Hopefully he doubles and triples down on it.

Thing is even if you do disagree with that philosophy, one lesson that Riot has shown they've learned is how to respect audiences who love established systems like LoL and instead of diluting that core gameplay to appeal to broader audiences, they just build different games in the same universe.

If you think about the foibles that stalked WoW's last decade, it was all because of Blizzard's instinct to appeal to everyone and thus satisfy no one. Trying to reconcile PvP balance with a PvE MMO. Implementing phasing so they can build a single-player RPG experience into a sandbox MMO. Trying to force e-sports grade competition into everything.

LoL learned the hard way a decade ago when they tried introducing new summoner's maps with different lane layouts that it's just better to create entirely different games and broaden their appeal that way while simultaneously maximising the engagement of the folks who are already captured with the core game. It's why they can afford to be uncompromising when satisfying each specific niche, from the CS:GO twitch freaks with Valorant all the way to the hyper-toxic solo queuers in LoL.

Hopefully they plan on going that direction with the MMO; maybe using the ARPG as the more casual-friendly exploration game, then a dark-souls alike for the truly hardcore PVP'ers but keeping the MMO's focus on refining the raiding and group dungeon-crawling experience.

You can have raids and dungeons and be casual friendly, just need to look at FFXIV. His tweet doesn't mention anything about his raid/dungeon design being as retarded or hardcore as WoW is.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

The further removed people are from the asian mobile/asian esports aspect of gamer culture the more shocked they are by how far Riot's animation and music production has moved past their western and Japanese rivals. Riot is largely the reason Tencent is a half-trillion-dollar company.

Even on reddit and 4chan there are hardline DOTA folks who hate LoL so much that they're unable to be objective about Riot's stuff. Unsurprisingly, they were caught completely dumbfounded by this show and the last decade of LoL's animation output. There have been a couple posts in this thread like that too.

It's funny, but it's also a statement on how much older western gamers are nowadays that our disdain of the mobile/asian gaming scene has put blinders on us.

Btw, I see this account was recently made and a great majority of posts are in this thread, how did you end up finding this thread/forum?

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Btw, I see this account was recently made and a great majority of posts are in this thread, how did you end up finding this thread/forum?
I play mostly lol/tft so there's never been much reason to post till the show brought up lore discussion and lol cinematics.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

The further removed people are from the asian mobile/asian esports aspect of gamer culture the more shocked they are by how far Riot's animation and music production has moved past their western and Japanese rivals. Riot is largely the reason Tencent is a half-trillion-dollar company.

Well, not blinded, but they clearly weren't making their shit for Western audiences in large amounts before Netflix made that viable. I have tried to like Anime about 5 times and just cannot do it. The closest I came was Attack on Titan, but even then I got impatient and just read the comic (which also had tons of anime exposition that tries to make you care for the characters but failed). It doesn't help that in a ton of Anime comics the characters are indistinguishable from one another in black and white.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, not blinded, but they clearly weren't making their shit for Western audiences in large amounts before Netflix made that viable. I have tried to like Anime about 5 times and just cannot do it. The closest I came was Attack on Titan, but even then I got impatient and just read the comic (which also had tons of anime exposition that tries to make you care for the characters but failed). It doesn't help that in a ton of Anime comics the characters are indistinguishable from one another in black and white.

Funny thing is that fight gave me the biggest "anime" vibe out of the whole series. Not typical anime genre in general, mainly because it reminded me of FLCL. I got a serious FLCL kick from that whole fight. The stylistic animation, the integration of the music and the general coming-of-age thing was absolute FLCL:

In general, Arcane's use and relationship with music gives me huge FLCL callbacks.

• 1Like