Arcane

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Well, not blinded, but they clearly weren't making their shit for Western audiences in large amounts before Netflix made that viable. I have tried to like Anime about 5 times and just cannot do it. The closest I came was Attack on Titan, but even then I got impatient and just read the comic (which also had tons of anime exposition that tries to make you care for the characters but failed). It doesn't help that in a ton of Anime comics the characters are indistinguishable from one another in black and white.
Assuming he was just talking about Riot in particular, they've been making high quality animated videos for 7 years or so, to go with their worlds songs (and a couple before that that were just like, champion skirmishes, minor lore videos, etc)

I would say about 5 years ago they were really challenging blizzard for cinematic quality, and with the release of Awaken in 2018, surpassed them to the point of everything they released was just met with "why isnt there a show/feature length movie with this care and quality"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Random thought I had -- The series is in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio which means its actually more native on a horizontal landscape phone than it is a traditional 4K TV

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Random thought I had -- The series is in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio which means its actually more native on a horizontal landscape phone than it is a traditional 4K TV
2.35 aspect ratio is also standard for cinema. Maybe they intended this to be a movie at first, or for it to be played in theaters at some point.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
2.35 aspect ratio is also standard for cinema. Maybe they intended this to be a movie at first, or for it to be played in theaters at some point.

Quite possible, but anamorphic widescreen is 2.39:1, which is effectively the same and yet just a bit different enough that I was reminded about the discussion above of mobile media as a default platform.

Certainly their goal is to achieve art regardless.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Though about posting this here but figured it might be too much of a derail, so made a new thread but figured I would link from here as it was the catalyst for the thoughts. Do you think a company like Riot might end up making virtual star?

• 1Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Though about posting this here but figured it might be too much of a derail, so made a new thread but figured I would link from here as it was the catalyst for the thoughts. Do you think a company like Riot might end up making virtual star?

That way lies madness, my friend.

If you're really curious you should look into Hololive.en's vtubers. Gawr Gura in particular and how she got scouted from a rising vtuber (and quite possibly the original writer and performer of the "OK, Boomer" song) repackaged and virtually weaponized for maximum engagement by the vtuber illuminati.

Or don't and retain your sanity.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's a truckload of circumstantial evidence for Singed turning Vander into Warwick, but for me the most sneakily compelling one is that he isn't present in Jinx's hallucinations, and she hasn't built an effigy of him like she did for Mylo and Clagger. If she doesn't feel guilty for causing his death like she does with Mylo and Clagger, maybe she's aware he survived and Silco gave him to Singed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
Started re-watching this (haha) and man, I can't get over how good the world building is in this show. If it didn't have the "League of Legands Story" tagline under Arcane, I'd never know it was attached to a game universe. In other words, this show was so good that it feels like it could set up a video game franchise, not the other way around. I can't think of any other single piece of games related media that does for the Riot universe what Arcane does. It's really a shame they make not a single game in a genre that interests me - yet. The idea of an MMO in this world that could somehow manage to capture the "tone/vibe" of this show is hard to believe but if they spent this much time perfecting this show, I suppose it's hard to doubt them. A single player story driven RPG in Piltover? Sky is the limit. It's like a bunch of really talented people saw what Blizzard was attempting around Titan, and then actually took the time and effort to do it the right way. Hopefully that translates into something special in the gaming space, because their new Steam game (watching a few streams) looks very meh to me and the fighting game holds zero appeal to me as well.

The best part? This was really only two out of like seven large cities I can think of off the top of my head. Noxus, Ionia, Demacia, Bandle City, Bilgewater being the others.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This show did such a good job of world building that all I want is an MMO where I can roam the Undercity as a Shivered up brawler.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This show did such a good job of world building that all I want is an MMO where I can roam the Undercity as a Shivered up brawler.

They're prolly leaning pretty hard on the team to get something playable by season two. Not really sure I wanna them to rush either the MMO or the next season though.

• 1Like

Caliane

The best part? This was really only two out of like seven large cities I can think of off the top of my head. Noxus, Ionia, Demacia, Bandle City, Bilgewater being the others.
funny, Riot doesnt know the difference between cities and Nations. they do seem to use them interchangeably. There is no mention of other cities, within those nations.

Shurima, Mt. Targon, Frejiord are two others. Shurima I think is a dead civilization. Mt. Targon has Solari and Lunari cults. not super clear on cities, etc.. Freljord region I think is mostly tribal. theres cities for the iceborn dead, but dunno for anything living.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
funny, Riot doesnt know the difference between cities and Nations. they do seem to use them interchangeably. There is no mention of other cities, within those nations.

Shurima, Mt. Targon, Frejiord are two others. Shurima I think is a dead civilization. Mt. Targon has Solari and Lunari cults. not super clear on cities, etc.. Freljord region I think is mostly tribal. theres cities for the iceborn dead, but dunno for anything living.

I feel like they are digging into cities more. Regions are equivalent to nations, or even US States.

For example the lore says the ixtal region joined the greater shurima region, but it also lists a city:

"Now, secluded deep in the jungle for thousands of years, the sophisticated arcology-city of Ixaocan remains mostly free of outside influence."

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Shurima is very much alive in Runeterra. A lot of the other regions are conquered satrapies of Shurima, including Icathia where a lot of champs come from.

One of the characters in Shurima is a relative of Mel's somehow. Jae Medarda is the heir apparent to the Medarda clan and he might be the main guy in this video. He's an adventurer/archeologist Indiana Jones figure in the game and as a senior Medarda, he could be Mel's son (since Arcane is a prequel) or a cousin or something.

Shurima was the first locale shown in their upcoming fighting game:

project_l-800x445.png

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like they are digging into cities more. Regions are equivalent to nations, or even US States.

For example the lore says the ixtal region joined the greater shurima region, but it also lists a city:

"Now, secluded deep in the jungle for thousands of years, the sophisticated arcology-city of Ixaocan remains mostly free of outside influence."
I think it might a situation like New York state, and New York city. Riot may be referencing them as both as a city or a region that share the same name depending on context.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You joggers never heard of city states?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finished this today. Awesome all around. The only part I didn’t like was the Imagine Dragons music. It just pulled me right of the show any time it played, I think cause it’s shit I’ve heard on the radio or something idk. Everything else was crazy good.

I’m not a league player, though I know some of the characters. Have played Legends of Runeterra. So knew the world kind of but not really any story of what’s going on. Can’t wait for more, hope they can match the really high bar they just set.

• 1Worf