Arcane

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
You refer to a guy clearing something up then link a four and a half hour long video. Dude.
Hmm starts at the beginning for me. Witchcraft!

Timestamp should start at the relevant spot. Otherwise here's an absolute boomer-proof version:

Gotta say, I knew they adjusted the show's character designs to reflect the VA's a bit, but I didn't really see that with Vi/Jinx. This guy is a little closer to Silco though.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah bullshit lol.

The defining moment of Silco's life was when Vander tried to kill him. The show beat you over the head with that so I don't know how she missed it as a writer. Vander tried to kill Silco because Silco's fanaticism he thought was detrimental his dream of a free Zaun. Which he later failed at. Later in life Silco is pressed with the culmination of his life's dream (sovereignty of Zaun) but at the price of betraying the one person he truly cared for.

Which is why he mused at Vander's fountain that he finally understood the dilemma Silco has pressed upon Vander all those years ago. But when it came to it loyalty was the most important thing to him, precisely because of Vander's betrayal, and he was willing to sacrifice the goal of the revolution over it. I was really impressed with Silco's character. That is solid writing.

Manipulate Jinx's feelings? Please, he loved Jinx despite her being totally scary levels of batshit 99% of the time.
Yeah whoever thought that was pretty dense. It was obvious when they said to give her up he was thinking “oh fuck, I can’t do that.”

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
The art/animation are amazing and there are numerous scenes that truly capture the emotional element, but I am so fucking tired of the 'edgy,' lesbian, strong-wahman characters.

They disgust me and Vi isn't an exception.

I had this conversation earlier with a friend who couldn't get past the first episode purely because of the pandering stronk wahmens and dumb men(tl;dr they made tweedle dee and tweedle dumb capable character, but ultimately fodder to push the plot). Hes pushed on and I just went straight in spoiler before he got to the vi/caitlyn thing.. I could be wrong, but the whole sister thing with Jinx and that lesbians' tension with Caitlyn stims off of fan service since the release of the champions in-game. Vi and Caitlyn were prepped up by being a buddy cop duo as Piltovers Finest.. but if they are a company that will remove a cigar due to countries laws.. i'll be surprised to see it ever move past emotional tension. ./shrug I enjoyed the story that Vi had about their past and the cupcake references regarding Caitlyns traps.

including the one for Ekko and Jinx's fight, which is legitimately one of the best of the year.

My hype levels went through the roof for this scene. The music timings were so well executed with that scene, but then I heard Denzel Curry; easily my favorite hiphop act in the last 10 years.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
ah whoever thought that was pretty dense. It was obvious when they said to give her up he was thinking “oh fuck, I can’t do that.”

She wrote parts of the "cupcake" episode and dyke twitter is gushing over her. Although after that Silco quip, you kinda wonder if she watched the other eight episodes.

1638392007076.gif

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Gotta say, I knew they adjusted the show's character designs to reflect the VA's a bit, but I didn't really see that with Vi/Jinx. This guy is a little closer to Silco though.

They adjusted the character designs how? Did they actually do that? Didn't seem like they did.

Silco is a new character so they could do whatever they wanted with him but Vi and Jinx have been in LoL forever with a ton of artwork and skins.

Would be really weird to scrap all that to match a couple of VAs....

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah bullshit lol.

The defining moment of Silco's life was when Vander tried to kill him. The show beat you over the head with that so I don't know how she missed it as a writer. Vander tried to kill Silco because Silco's fanaticism he thought was detrimental his dream of a free Zaun. Which he later failed at. Later in life Silco is pressed with the culmination of his life's dream (sovereignty of Zaun) but at the price of betraying the one person he truly cared for.

Which is why he mused at Vander's fountain that he finally understood the dilemma Silco has pressed upon Vander all those years ago. But when it came to it loyalty was the most important thing to him, precisely because of Vander's betrayal, and he was willing to sacrifice the goal of the revolution over it. I was really impressed with Silco's character. That is solid writing.

Manipulate Jinx's feelings? Please, he loved Jinx despite her being totally scary levels of batshit 99% of the time.
I really like how, although the show took it slow with character development, it's so deep that there's tons of stuff like this which I didn't fully appreciate or even missed.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
They adjusted the character designs how? Did they actually do that? Didn't seem like they did.

Silco is a new character so they could do whatever they wanted with him but Vi and Jinx have been in LoL forever with a ton of artwork and skins.

Would be really weird to scrap all that to match a couple of VAs....

Like I said, I don't really see it with Vi or Jinx, but I read that they adjusted the show models to reflect some of the voice actors. I think it was on one of the interviews or the Riot behind the scenes thing.

I guess I kinda see it with Grayson (Avesarala) and Vander too. Maybe Caitlyn.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The art/animation are amazing and there are numerous scenes that truly capture the emotional element, but I am so fucking tired of the 'edgy,' lesbian, strong-wahman characters.

They disgust me and Vi isn't an exception.
The way she talks got on my nerves. The quick sarcastic one liners. Reminded me of the girlfriend in the new spider man movies. I didn’t hate her or anything it’s just, girls like her just don’t really exist. Cute, fit, edgy, sharp witted, and can outbox men 3x her size. It’s fantasy so whatever, it’s just a ridiculous trope nowadays.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The way she talks got on my nerves. The quick sarcastic one liners. Reminded me of the girlfriend in the new spider man movies. I didn’t hate her or anything it’s just, girls like her just don’t really exist. Cute, fit, edgy, sharp witted, and can outbox men 3x her size. It’s fantasy so whatever, it’s just a ridiculous trope nowadays.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Like I said, I don't really see it with Vi or Jinx, but I read that they adjusted the show models to reflect some of the voice actors. I think it was on one of the interviews or the Riot behind the scenes thing.

I guess I kinda see it with Grayson (Avesarala) and Vander too. Maybe Caitlyn.

I only really see it with Grayson. Where’s Heimerdinger???

• 1Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah bullshit lol.

Best part is that Silco's defining character trait is the one line he kept repeating early on: "Power belongs to those who will do anything to achieve it."

He lives up to that throughout the show. He gets his own people addicted to shimmer, he kills innocents to seize any advantage, he brutalizes his own chem barons to keep them in line.

And it worked. By ruthlessly doing anything by any means necessary all in pursuit of an independent Zaun, he elevates the undercity and finally brings Piltover to the bargaining table and almost gets everything he wanted.

But like every tragic hero, he finally arrives at the one thing he couldn't do for any reason, and it ends him.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Reason: Lots of woke writers can't create, or understand, complex characters. Their worldview is black and white. Everybody is a hero or a villain (with us or against us). Often this also means Man = bad, woman = good. They find it regressive to write (male) villains with redeeming qualities or (female) heroes with human faults.

Arcane is resonating well because it avoids these tropes that we've been rolling our eyes at for a decade now. It relies on tried and true foundations of good storytelling, wrapped in a cutting-edge visual and audio package.

Shit it's less than that, their warped view of the world they don't even understand what makes traits good and or noble, the idea of self sacrifice is a concept beyond them.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Best part is that Silco's defining character trait is the one line he kept repeating early on: "Power belongs to those who will do anything to achieve it."

He lives up to that throughout the show. He gets his own people addicted to shimmer, he kills innocents to seize any advantage, he brutalizes his own chem barons to keep them in line.

And it worked. By ruthlessly doing anything by any means necessary all in pursuit of an independent Zaun, he elevates the undercity and finally brings Piltover to the bargaining table and almost gets everything he wanted.

But like every tragic hero, he finally arrives at the one thing he couldn't do for any reason, and it ends him.

thanos-crying.gif

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
they adjusted the show's character designs to reflect the VA's a bit,
So Caitlyn was voiced by a sentient knife and not Cho Chang? Cause she looks like you could slice tomatoes on just about every single angle of her face.

• 2Worf

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
She was apparently in one of the Harry Potter movies but I don't really recall those much.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah she was the girl Harry liked before Ron’s sister. Also she’s apparently Scottish?

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Aha that's her Harry Potter name? I thought you were just being racist.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep. I honestly don't know why characters like her are popular. Who is her fan base? Certainly not men. And I do mean, men. Not little limp-wristed, faggot cucks.

Women/girls like Vi have less than zero appeal to masculine men.

I just roll my eyes at the fight scenes. I know it's just more "YAAAS QUEEN, slaaaaaaaay!," bullshit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like